Quandary: what am I going to do with all the fish I catch?

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I personally have released BIG YFT... at the RG and Hurricane numerous times in the past. At that time... it wasn't very "popular".. with diehard LR anglers and the crew.....lol. I would put the hurt on the fish.... and as they went to go get the gaffs... I did the "dike" release myself. Put it in the count I told them!

Reactions: Cubeye and kevina
    Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
    Feb 28, 2004
    Sabre Springs
    Name
    Tom McKinney
    Boat
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    Have them can the tuna.

And

Donate your fish to feed people. I have read that high quality and fresh fish that comes off a LR boat is great blessing to many programs. They could never afford to buy fish, let alone fish of this quality. Shut ins, seniors, etc.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I always have the same issue and I do a 10 day and 14 day 3 weeks apart. I live in Minnesota fish weekly always have lots of fish. I use sportsmans/marios but they all do a good job. Have it sent air freight to the airport and pick it up much cheaper.

The more I have brought into work the more I have to bring home. The guys at my work took 250lbs of fillets last year.

But many times I ask the deck hand to release the fish or if the crew or someone else wants it. Some trips they release it. Some trips everyone on the boat wants the fish and its given away.

I never really thought that the crew would want fish so bad but I have had some crew super excited when I offered him a 70lb yellowfin.
    must be the same guy that got a fish from me, said that he had family coming. I thought it was wonderful I could give him a fish.

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    All great advice above.
    I offer a shipping tip and some fishing suggestions.
    the TIP
    Be careful about shipping addresses. Cargo to cargo is cheaper than door to door.
    I worked with Fisherman's, waited 3 or 4 days after the boat came in. Went down and paid, packed a new box for shipment, and took the balance home. Fisherman's kept the shipment overnight and then had the hard frozen fish delivered to Southwest's CARGO terminal, then shiiped to Dallas, where my daughter picked-up the "Cargo" from the SW cargo terminal. If you do this be sure to use email or text to get address etc precisely correct.
    WAAAAY cheaper than the also available shipping to a home address. (( BUT maybe not so good a tip, if no nearby airport.))
    the Suggestions:
    Perhaps have a plan (after you get the fish you want) to go for a specific type of fish -- keeping the other fishers in mind ---
    a) Maybe target getting a big Grouper vs flylining to hungry Yellowtail or schoolie tuna;
    b) Focus on really big near-bottom Yellowtail and not the near surface smaller fis, for a personal best;
    c) Focus on variety ...... how many species in one trip;
    Or
    d) Make-up some personal lures or novel rigs and experiment ..... some won't work but some may work.
    Or
    e) simply kick back and enjoy the Nat Geo settings you will experience as you fish.
    Enjoy .... Tight LInes !!
    use a dropper loop and weight to get it thru the surface fish?

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    you can google it but seafood kept 0 or below is good for like 3 years, but for every ten degree's above cuts like a year off. you want to make sure your freezer is a non defrosting model, one's that defrost warms to get rid of the frost and then goes back down again, not good for long term storage of sea food

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I'm booked on my first long range trip, an 11 day on Independence which leaves day after Thanksgiving. I live in Florida, so will be flying to San Diego from Orlando.

My quandary is: what am I going to do with all the fish I'm going to catch on this trip? My wife and I love to eat fish and will eat it multiple times a week if we have it. Part of my problem is I have my own boat(s) here and fish regularly (atleast once a week) and regularly catch fish, which we eat fresh and freeze some (for a fish fry a couple of times a year).

I will pay to get the fish I catch and want to bring home processed, not sure how I'll get it back to Orlando yet (shipped?), but don't want to pay to process and ship hundred(s) of pounds back and have it end up freezer burned and only fit to feed somebody's cat.

Is there such a thing as "catch and release" on the LR boats? I regularly fish for catch & release species here in Florida (tarpon, redfish, etc.). I didn't pay big bucks to go on this long range trip to catch all I want to bring home on the first few days and then sit and watch for the last 7 or 8. I don't want to see fish killed needlessly and assume most of the anglers on the boat will want to catch their own.

What's the answer? Thanks for your input, Jim
    I'd worry about catching them first.

Upvote 0

mmsblee

I Pity The Fool
    Apr 3, 2012
    So Cal
    Name
    marshall
    Boat
    Boatless
    Try fishing with lures with no hooks, fly line a hook with no bait, and dropper loop with no hooks. Problem solved.

Tip on defrosting your processed fish in the refrigerator. Open the bag with the fish still frozen hard. Wrap the fish in paper towels and place them in a plastic container with lid. Make sure you place something under the fish, I use chopsticks or plastic spoons, to keep it out of the water/juice as the fish defrost. When defrosted in a day or two, pat dry and prepare.

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    Can/will 5 Star arrange for sending it air freight to my airport (Orlando, FL) and I'll drive the 45 minutes and pick it up (for much cheaper)?

Have a reservation with 5 Star and e-mails to them and Sportsmans, but haven't received a response.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Name
    Brad Baron
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    Yes

I love catch and release. Have won the shogun 3D crystal tuna. For most fish released. On a 10 day

When offshore. The entire school can follow the fish that bolts. Those bring aboard

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

otownjoe

rail hugger
    Mar 6, 2012
    Orlando
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    big one with a high rail
    I've had fish shipped back several times with mixed results.. here's my suggestions, have all the fish frozen. Have it shipped southwest Air cargo,you can pick it up at Orlando Airport
    Get a freezer that doesn't have auto defrost. The quality of the tuna is exceptional from long rangeboats. Unless you're making regular trips to the other side if would seem wasteful to release some of the best fish available anywhere. Even frozen LR tuna is worth keeping due to the way the boats and processors handle it.If you have a great trip I can see giving away or handing off some fish to other anglers that aren't as lucky.

Reactions: esgeo
    Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    I live in NY. I dont eat fish - so I give it all away to other passengers or to a food bank.

Problem solved.

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    Call me lol. I’m having a crappy tuna season so far (private boat) and my commercial freezer has tons of room in it.

I can meet you at the dock and take your extra fish whole. I have a cleaning station at the house and can process a couple hundred pounds at a whack. We vacuum bag it, can it, smoke it. Extra goes to neighbors, fellow fishermen, the local fire station. My friend’s employees take the carcasses and have a block party with all the meat that is still on them. Nothing gets wasted.

Im serious. I’ve done this several times in lean years. Message me if you are interested. This is not a commercial operation. This is for my family/friends/neighbors’ consumption.

PS. My kids love canned YFT. TSA lets them check a whole case of pint jars as checked baggage.
    PM sent.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Can/will 5 Star arrange for sending it air freight to my airport (Orlando, FL) and I'll drive the 45 minutes and pick it up (for much cheaper)?

Have a reservation with 5 Star and e-mails to them and Sportsmans, but haven't received a response.
    Picking up at the airport is cheaper than UPS to your front door

Upvote 0

COSDoug

Nov 23, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Hobie Kayak
    Southwest Air Cargo is way faster and a fraction of the cost. I have 5 star ship to Denver. I live 90 minutes to the South in Colorado Springs. When timed correctly, the product leaves 5 star and in just less than 6 hours later it is in my freezer with the door closed.

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    Do I need to make the arrangements with Southwest Air Cargo myself or will/can the fish processor (5 Star) do it? I'm flying home the day after the boat comes back and not sure the processor can get it done that fast or if I would be able to get it to Southwest.

I repeat, I have e-mails & messages into the fish processors with these questions but cannot get a response/call back.

Thanks, Jim

Upvote 0

otownjoe

rail hugger
    Mar 6, 2012
    Orlando
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    big one with a high rail
    The processor has to and will make the arrangements with the shipper. Shipping Air cargo requires a pre-certification If you have all the fish frozen in can be shipped at you at your convenience.
    Another option is to check your processed fish as baggage. The processor will make arrangements based on your schedule if you book with them now. Check with your airline as to the limitations. I always flew Alaska airlines from Orlando. They had the most lienent rules for carrying fishing gear and fresh fish.
    I have had bad results getting fresh fish to take on the plane and having the rest shipped frozen. For some reason it confused them both times I did it. I think the rest of my fish sat there and went bad. The quality was not up to par when I received it.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    That can get you in trouble in California. Cant get anything of value in exchange for sport caught fish. May no be an issue in your home state.
    Even in the commie state of Ca, I don't think they can stop horse trading between friends. It should be like Alaska where you can sell your sport caught fish.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    That can get you in trouble in California. Cant get anything of value in exchange for sport caught fish. May no be an issue in your home state.
    Agree… but recently DFG took fish from sportfishermen, about 2 tons bluefin. Did not charge the fishermen. In directly… Frank paid $780.00 to each fishermen for the fish taken.

So… I give away fish when I was working at SCE. The guys would come in and fillet and vacuum bag the fish. For each recipient that fish reduced the cost of paying for the fish at the market. Value… no direct money exchanged for whole fish. Still I can see a direct value.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    What you do brother with your own catch... in your own state.... is your business. Announcing it here... to others... may not fair so well for the locals. Ongoing investigations will only "read" this statement.... as a confirmation that this type of activity is "rampant" with Sport Boat or Long Range anglers out of SD.

Personally I get your point. But... protect us ALL.. Brother, by keeping this to yourself. Just my thoughts. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    What you do brother with your own catch... in your own state.... is your business. Announcing it here... to others... may not fair so well for the locals. Ongoing investigations will only "read" this statement.... as a confirmation that this type of activity is "rampant" with Sport Boat or Long Range anglers out of SD.

Personally I get your point. But... protect us ALL.. Brother, by keeping this to yourself. Just my thoughts. Be safe out there.
    I removed it because, wouldn't want to offend anyone or cause a war. God forbid that. LOL I'll eat every last piece of it, even the fins. :D

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I always have the same issue and I do a 10 day and 14 day 3 weeks apart. I live in Minnesota fish weekly always have lots of fish. I use sportsmans/marios but they all do a good job. Have it sent air freight to the airport and pick it up much cheaper.

The more I have brought into work the more I have to bring home. The guys at my work took 250lbs of fillets last year.

But many times I ask the deck hand to release the fish or if the crew or someone else wants it. Some trips they release it. Some trips everyone on the boat wants the fish and its given away.

I never really thought that the crew would want fish so bad but I have had some crew super excited when I offered him a 70lb yellowfin.
    I need to quit fishing and get a job at your place Joe. It would save me thousands. I could just hit you up for fish!!’

Upvote 0

JTE

Nov 20, 2017
    Florida
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    18' Grizzly
    By the way, what are the "limits" on the species of fish likely to be encountered on the subject 11 day trip?

Upvote 0