Quality on the Pac Queen - 1/9 Punta Colonet

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by doncatfish, Jan 10, 2017.

1. doncatfish

doncatfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    Hopped on light load Sunday night trip on the Pac Queen, only 15 anglers. Drew was at the helm, and suggested we use the heavier yo yo irons such as the Sales 6x or 7x, or Tady 4/0, as they seemed to be doing better than the Jr. sizes. He also said that color didn't seem to make much difference, what mattered was having that jig swimming as fast as possible through the water column. 40 to 60 lb test was the requested gear, absolutely no reason to use lighter line with the yo yo set up.

We left the harbor in greasy calm conditions heading 110 miles south. The entire trip down there was so calm you couldn't tell you left the harbor. Woke up to the smell of Johnny cooking burritos in perfectly calm conditions, incredible sunrise, we were the only boat there. By 6:45 am Drew was metering around the high spot looking for yellows, but he wasn't seeing much. We stopped for a couple here and there, then had a stop for 9 nice fish from 15 - 20, but by late morning we had only 13 yellows on board and the decision was made to fish rock fish, which was the right call.

The rock fishing was excellent, in spite of their puking up an enormous amount of red crabs. I would estimate that 95% of the catch was either reds or lings, with some nice quality fish. Reminded me of past years at Colonet, much better than last year which I thought was fairly slow for rockfish by Colonet standards. I was using iron primarily - didn't matter if I was using a glow in the dark Ahi jig, orange Ahi, Jax Jix, Diamond Jig - the were biting on everything. A couple of the guys were doing well on the large swim baits too as you'll see in the photos.

Early afternoon Drew decided to look around for yellows again, but didn't see any on the meter, so it was back to rock fishing. As the wind had built to 10 - 15 knots (no rain at all), he pointed the stern of the boat into the wind, holding the boat in place, enabling us to fish on either side of the boat. Super effective.

Finally, as it was getting dark at 4:30, he decided to give the high spot one last look for yellows and it was game on! i think 10 of the 15 of us hooked up in the first moments as we cranked our jigs from the bottom up to about 40 cranks up. In the next 40 minutes we'd put 37 nice quality yellows on board, what a great way to end the day!

I agree with Drew's assessment that the heavier iron was the way to go, and that color didn't make much difference if any. Though I caught my 4 on a Sales 6X scrambled egg, others did well on red, blue/white, whatever.

The crew did a great job as usual, always there to unhook and tag your fish, never missing a gaff opportunity on the yellows or lings. I was super stoked that Drew added a mid-week trip, hope he puts a few more of those on the schedule. Johnny in the galley did a fantastic job on the eats once again, really like fishing the Pac Queen. Great start to year, with all that bait in the water I can see this bite lasting a while once again.

IMG_8838.jpg IMG_8826.jpg IMG_8817.JPG IMG_8821.JPG IMG_8834.JPG IMG_8822.JPG IMG_8825.JPG IMG_8829.JPG IMG_8828.JPG IMG_8831.JPG IMG_8823.JPG IMG_8809.JPG IMG_8807.JPG

2. Anello

Anello Giddy Up!!!

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    No
    Bitchin!!!!!! Man, I gotta get on one of these trips.

3. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice trip dude looks like a blast was had!!

4. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Hey that dude with the creepy mustache with the yellow is my damn brother. What an asshole!

5. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Nice trip, epic quality on the reds and always nice to have a sundowner bite to end the day!

I hope someone pinned that octopus on and sent it down!

FishfinderX likes this.
  6. doncatfish

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    Actually,I caught that octopus and another last week while halibut fishing off Dana Point. I put both of them in a baggie and brought those on this trip. First drop down I caught the red that spit up all those crabs, second drop down I was absolutely hammered by a Ling, then bam it was off. Bit through my 40 lb test - Doh! Should have used 60!

SouthBayKiller likes this.
  7. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Thanks! Nice report and pic's. Real nice you had good weather and a light load.

8. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    Nice trip ....

Tunahead likes this.
  9. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    I knew you were gonna whack 'um, Don! :appl:

Congrats and thanks for the timely, detailed report! :)

BTW.....

*cough cough*

(1 spot open on Trip B, 2.75 day on the Vag leaving at 3 on Friday the 13th......as of 1 minute ago.....$765 and you get to fish with the Mikey and JohnnyJ show...... :D )

10. doncatfish

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25' Hydra-Sport
    Mike,

Would love to fish next to you and tangle you again! Mandatory family commitment this weekend though, I will enjoy this trip through you vicariously, kill 'em all!

Tunahead likes this.
  11. tommysdad

tommysdad Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Nice trip. Thanks for the report!

12. copenhagenchild

copenhagenchild PINNHEAD

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    I wish
    Great write up Don. Glad we could share the rail with you on this trip.

13. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    So much more rewarding to catch fish, especially yellows, on jigs. Well done.

14. Icantswim

Icantswim Newbie

Name:
    Pele'
    Boat:
    WetSpot
    Great report!

15. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    GREAT REPORT and pics Don and NICE FISH. Glad you got off the dock.
    I'm thinking those yellows hang around all winter into spring. Good stuff.
    I had appts. Monday..grounded LOL Let's eat! LOL

I started fishing with the late legend Eddie McEwen on Pac Queen
    age 13 (1959) Caught my 1st yellowtail, tuna, seabass, etc on a Roddy
    (wrapped by Leon now at Calstar) and good old Jigmaster 500.Candy bar lures. LOL
    Lot of memories on that boat. Glad you had a great trip!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  16. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    I also caught my first yellowtail on the PAC Queen at the age of 13 with Eddie coaching me the whole time on the bow. Caught it on my bass rod with 12 pound mono. It was not that big - however still a great memory.

Tunahead likes this.
  17. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice going, Don! I guess those red crabs with a few octopus are still on the menu. That could mean another interesting season this spring-summer-fall.

Tunahead likes this.