moofish

Chris
Jul 12, 2006
Ventura
Name
Chris
Boat
What boat?
The good money should be spent on a rod....I use a 7.5' Shimano Clarus, and I buy Shimano AX series reels 2 at a time off Ebay. I can get away with spending less than $20 per reel, and one lasts me about a year...even if I rinse them off regularly.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Walmart, Craigslist, sdfish.com

dunku

Sep 11, 2007
ventura, ca
Name
nolan
Boat
the one i paid a spot for
hi,
i have been using the new mitchell 308 about $30 on sale at bass pro or cabelas. lots of bearings and so far OK

HTA

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
What pound test are you going to fish with? I basically fish 4-6 pound test for the surf perch, corvina and yellowfin croaker. Using sandcrabs or bloodworms turn up quite a few nice fish for me. I use a bass pro microlite 7'6" UL 2-6lb and a Quantum XR-1 spinner. The rod is on sale right now at Bass Pro for $29.99, item # 38-152-304-00. The Quantum is 10-12 years old and cost $19.99 at the time I purchased it and has lasted thru quite a few surf fishing trips and a few rounds of trout fishing. Its a great rig and fits into anyones budget.

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
Sports Authority has a $10 Shimano all plastic that is great for 6-10 pound test. I have three of them. It is in a blister pack on the wall display, not in the reel case.

ironman

Jun 15, 2003
Cardiff, CA.
Visit site
Name
Gary
Boat
PT 175 Tracker
I have fished spin reels of all quality or prices. they ALL get F'd up. Buy those cheap shimanos recomended in prior posts.

Anyone know why the surf is so hard on reels compared to other salt exposures? Its not just the sand. Even when I carefully clean them they breakdown.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I'll 3rd those cheap Shimano $10 buck reels. I have one that's 15 years old and it wasn't used if for yeeears, give it a tune-up last month and it worked perfect. Went down to BPS and picked up 2 more for the kids. Drop it in the sand, rocks, water, send it to the bottom of the lake, I don't care, it's a $10 reel.

Funny thing, I think I spend $20-30 for the old Shimano and now they are $10. Guess they can't be all that bad if Shimano is still making them.

socalkid

Apr 18, 2008
Simi Valley, CA
Name
socalkid
Boat
Looking
Hello,

I have Two Cabelas Salt Staiker Metal Spinning Reels and they feel real nice. 10 bb and 1 roller bb. The drag is smooooooooooth and fit and finish is good. I have the 40 and the 60 size, I paid 69.99 for each of them. Only draw back is the weight but if your fishing a big-o 12' glass rod whats an extra 8oz. or so? For the price I dont think you can find anything else with that many bb and a drag that feels this smooth. But in the end keeping your reel clean and salt free is what makes a big deal. Pflueger makes a bunch of nice reel but not sure on the price.

Good day,

Chris

boswell

Sep 19, 2003
Marina del Rey
Name
jay
Boat
no got
Generally, I agree with the "cheaper is better." On the other hand, I went through five Daiwa Samurais one summer (no shit) before I figured I could have bought a Symetre for the same price and it's a much nicer reel.

Bedad is spot on: get a Sedona or a Symetre and a Clarus. My Symetere 2500 is five years old; I've had to send it to Shimano three times (at $20 a pop),but I get a rebuilt back and it's perfect for what you're fishing for.

Crass

Gypsy Punk
Aug 23, 2007
Pacifica, CA
Name
Crass
Boat
2" Plastic Bathtub Cruiser
i actually bought one of those cheapo $10 shimanos a while back(man.. i havent been on here in forever)

and i gotta say, its not a bad reel for the money. not great, but it does the job. and of course about a month after i got it, my bro gives my 4 conventional reels for free. :p

NAVI07

Jun 30, 2008
M.V. N.Y.
Name
ANGELO
Boat
27 SEARAY LAST CHANCE
DEALS R OUT THERE PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS UPGRADING. YOU JUST NEED TO SPEND TIME ONLINE AND LOOK.

Crass

Gypsy Punk
Aug 23, 2007
Pacifica, CA
Name
Crass
Boat
2" Plastic Bathtub Cruiser
considering the post was first made in Aug. 07... thank you for the useless post thats also hella late. :D

"HI PENDECOS"

"CHOICE"
Feb 9, 2008
east los angeles
Name
Abel
Boat
EL TAMBO!
The shimano AX spinning reels are the best reels you can get for the surf.
The shimano clarous rods are also very good and if it breaks they have an over the counter warrenty and they even have 10'.

good luck and if u don't have a job there is always welfare and gr.
it works for me.

Inshore Assasin

SWBA Dream Chaser
Jun 27, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Kayak & Float Tube
I have been through 6 spinning reels in the last 3 months from inshore bay fishing. They were either Daiwa or Shimano reels from $20 to $50. After 3 fishing trips, the handle simply doesnt turn anymore. Running fresh water and even using reel cleaner after each trip doesnt patch the wound. You get what you pay for. Keep those low cost reels in the fresh water lakes if you plan on keeping them around. The guy who suggested the 2500 Sedona by Shimano for $50 is your closest bet. Take a look at the Spirex from Shimano also. Set that up with any 6-6 or 7-0 rod, with light line, and your set.

F.I.S.H.Y

Sep 27, 2019
San Diego CA
Name
Erick
Boat
None
Penn Fierce II 6000 For $80 its one hell of a reel! Did me lots of good on the surf, it even took a swim with me and was still smooth. My old 4000 caught me a 50# 5' leopard shark. Cant go wrong with it!

Yuri_SD

Sep 11, 2019
San Diego
Name
Yuri
Boat
none
if you can find a used Daiwa BG for a good price - jump on it. Not sealed, but quality reel for the price.