Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat Name
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
Plan was to hit the islands early on the morning rising tide and then poke offshore to look for kelps before slack tide at noon. Was hoping to get some bigger model yellows in the AM and then cross our fingers for some dorado or maybe a lucky jigstrike yellowfin. My sister and I didn't feel like cleaning a ton of fish so we agreed to only keep a couple yellows and save room for something more exotic.

Got to the islands early and hit Pukey, Ribbon Kelp, Lighthouse, and Middle Grounds, in that order. The water temps were all over the place. 66 at Pukey to 62 at RB to 58 on the weather side of Lighthouse. Wasn't metering much and not a lot of bird action. When we got to Middle Grounds we found working birds and only two boats, but both were hooked up. Started slow trolling dines and didn't take long until I got absolutely smoked on 30# fluoro. Got that one on board after a nice long run and then my sister hooked up straight 40#. Her pegleg makes moving around my small boat a little tough but she fought this one solo and we bagged it too. Two nice models had our plan looking pretty good so far. Unfortunately by then about 30 boats had moved in and maneuvering for the slow troll started proving difficult. I decided to pull the plug early and go look for Cody who we were buddy-boating with.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Heading SW I got him on the horn and got the dope on his magic paddy, though we were about 15 miles away and after a Freeman passed me on the same heading like I was standing still, I knew I was gonna be late for the party. We hit a bubble of warmer water and made a call to put the trollers out and bend West a little. I was surprised at how few kelps there were. Took us almost 3 hours but we finally spotted a nice kelp. This one only had one yellow on it but it was another really nice model that made it into our icebath. Kept moving and found another one about a mile west. This one was holding. 12-18 lbers only and they were hungry. We polished off limits and then some, throwing everything back. Called in the numbers (12/33) and kept moving west. Only found one more tiny paddy that had a rat on it (C&R'd), and started heading north. Found an area about 5 miles west of the 371 that had tuna, but they were up and down really fast and super boat shy. Looked to be about 20# bluefin. Chased these for a bit and then trolled another 5 miles toward home and picked up and called it a day.

IMG_1737.jpgIMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

No dodos or tuna for us but it was fun pulling on such nice grade yellows all day. The better water definitely seemed more West than South. 69 degrees out past 371. Like Cody said, there are not many paddies but if you find one, get ready!

Trolled a cedar daisy and my dorado killer Mex Flag jet daisy, as well as a pink bird daisy a little bit hoping for some open water mahi. Didn't mess with the spreader bar or high speed Halcos today. Dine's from San Diego were ok, large and lasted fine, some small Spanish Macs mixed in which would have been great for dodos.

Get out there while it's good!

IMG_1698.jpg

Rimack

Old School
  • Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat Name
    Robalo r254 walk
    Nice report and well done to the both of you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    I like your sisters pineapple visor (seen something like it on the Pinwheel on Wicked Tuna) - seems to bring you guys good luck :appl:

BTW, my son wants to know if your sis is married :Romantic_ (JK)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Awesome. Totally awesome!
    -- Jeff Spicoli

Great job, you two! Congrats on the quality yellows!

Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aztlan
    Name
    Mandoman
    Boat Name
    Kathleen
    Plan was to hit the islands early on the morning rising tide and then poke offshore to look for kelps before slack tide at noon. Was hoping to get some bigger model yellows in the AM and then cross our fingers for some dorado or maybe a lucky jigstrike yellowfin. My sister and I didn't feel like cleaning a ton of fish so we agreed to only keep a couple yellows and save room for something more exotic.

Got to the islands early and hit Pukey, Ribbon Kelp, Lighthouse, and Middle Grounds, in that order. The water temps were all over the place. 66 at Pukey to 62 at RB to 58 on the weather side of Lighthouse. Wasn't metering much and not a lot of bird action. When we got to Middle Grounds we found working birds and only two boats, but both were hooked up. Started slow trolling dines and didn't take long until I got absolutely smoked on 30# fluoro. Got that one on board after a nice long run and then my sister hooked up straight 40#. Her pegleg makes moving around my small boat a little tough but she fought this one solo and we bagged it too. Two nice models had our plan looking pretty good so far. Unfortunately by then about 30 boats had moved in and maneuvering for the slow troll started proving difficult. I decided to pull the plug early and go look for Cody who we were buddy-boating with.

View attachment 1404021

View attachment 1404025

View attachment 1404023

Heading SW I got him on the horn and got the dope on his magic paddy, though we were about 15 miles away and after a Freeman passed me on the same heading like I was standing still, I knew I was gonna be late for the party. We hit a bubble of warmer water and made a call to put the trollers out and bend West a little. I was surprised at how few kelps there were. Took us almost 3 hours but we finally spotted a nice kelp. This one only had one yellow on it but it was another really nice model that made it into our icebath. Kept moving and found another one about a mile west. This one was holding. 12-18 lbers only and they were hungry. We polished off limits and then some, throwing everything back. Called in the numbers (12/33) and kept moving west. Only found one more tiny paddy that had a rat on it (C&R'd), and started heading north. Found an area about 5 miles west of the 371 that had tuna, but they were up and down really fast and super boat shy. Looked to be about 20# bluefin. Chased these for a bit and then trolled another 5 miles toward home and picked up and called it a day.

View attachment 1404027View attachment 1404028

View attachment 1404026

No dodos or tuna for us but it was fun pulling on such nice grade yellows all day. The better water definitely seemed more West than South. 69 degrees out past 371. Like Cody said, there are not many paddies but if you find one, get ready!

Trolled a cedar daisy and my dorado killer Mex Flag jet daisy, as well as a pink bird daisy a little bit hoping for some open water mahi. Didn't mess with the spreader bar or high speed Halcos today. Dine's from San Diego were ok, large and lasted fine, some small Spanish Macs mixed in which would have been great for dodos.

View attachment 1404022
    Good job. Brother and sis team....great memories..

Upvote 0

Capper

Jul 25, 2021
    Oak hills
    Name
    Greg Lightcap
    Boat Name
    Squrit 2

View attachment 1404021

View attachment 1404025

View attachment 1404023

View attachment 1404027View attachment 1404028

View attachment 1404026

View attachment 1404022
    Crazy how much fish can be under a dinner plate size patty, congratulations

Reactions: bottomdweller
    Upvote 0

Sea Bacon

• Aug 24, 2018
    Murrieta
    Name
    Art
    Boat Name
    Sea Bacon
    Heard you and Cody on the radio. It was a good idea for you to leave the islands. It was a hot mess with inexperienced skippers driving over soaking sardines.

Upvote 0

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
    Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande
    Heard you and Cody on the radio. It was a good idea for you to leave the islands. It was a hot mess with inexperienced skippers driving over soaking sardines.

When one dude blasted through 30 boats at 18 knots and another guy trolled right through everybody with 2 Rapalas........I knew it was time to go....

Upvote 0