Islands Quality cods

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
San Diego
Name
Bruce
Boat
25' Farallon Pilothouse
Went out solo on Friday morning to take a look at the S-9. Late start, got there around 8:30am, got on top of the bank and turned on Fish finder, damn not working. So drop down anyways to see how deep with a 3 hook setup with squid strips. Hit bottom, guessing I was in mid 300ft, got some light hits right away. Alright, looking good fighting all the way up, 5 ft spiny dogfish, released unharmed after untangling it. Kept moving South trying to find the drop off, but kept finding sand dabs and mud bottom. Finally found the deep ledge and took about 600-700ft of my line on that drop. But I was rewarded about on every drop using squid. Stayed in the deeper water for the quality cods until limited out at noon. Wind by then was starting to blow harder from the north and got worse closer to the point. One other mention, they were spitting out whole squid, so if you need more bait, open one up. Didn't see any paddys, breaking fish or bait on top. Good luck for those going out this weekend.

IMG_20211126_130607142.jpg

IMG_20211126_113302617.jpg

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice fish and yes in Mexico no hook restrictions. But must meet CA requirements coming back into us waters. 5 vermillion rockfish in your ten fish limit. But I’m just pointing this out in case anyone is not aware.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Bad-Rap

Sep 22, 2004
San Diego
Name
Bruce
Boat
25' Farallon Pilothouse
Nice fish and yes in Mexico no hook restrictions. But must meet CA requirements coming back into us waters. 5 vermillion rockfish in your ten fish limit. But I’m just pointing this out in case anyone is not aware.

Actually I believe it's 4 hooks in Mexican waters. Yes, have to follow the CA rules when bringing back in the US. Vermillion it's going down to 4 in possession limit in CA 2022😭.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Actually I believe it's 4 hooks in Mexican waters. Yes, have to follow the CA rules when bringing back in the US. Vermillion it's going down to 4 in possession limit in CA 2022😭.
    FYI I recall 1 hook on a loop, and a JIG with Treble hook at bottom, counts as 4 in Mexico.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    No depth restrictions on the south 9 because it’s in Mexico 🇲🇽
    That explains fishing 3 hooks, He should of used 10 hooks that deep and be done in one or two drops and get out of dodge and destroy the ganions. The chances of the Mexico's F&G boarding you on the south 9 are slim to none.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    That explains fishing 3 hooks, He should of used 10 hooks that deep and be done in one or two drops and get out of dodge and destroy the ganions. The chances of the Mexico's F&G boarding you on the south 9 are slim to none.
    Refer to one of the quotes by my buddy below...

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0