Quail report 10/15

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
Me and my buddy John went to the IV for the quail opener. Hopes weren't too high with the continued drought but we went and hit several spots which have held some birds in the past. First spot no signs of bird life. Second spot we could hear birds calling from an extremely dense patch of growth about a hundred yards long and 25 yards wide. Nasty bushes with tons of thorns. John drew the short straw and went crashing in since we were getting nowhere just circling it and hoping they would come out. Birds immediately flushed but flew in a direction neither of us could do anything with. Then I hear @#$% blam, blam. I yell to John "did you get one?". He says "BIG ASS SNAKE". I waded into the thicket to rescue my buddy and encounter this:

JC Snake.JPG

He almost stepped on it and said it was just a reaction to point and blast. This thing was huge, with half-inch long hypodermics dripping golden colored venom. John is a super ethical hunter and even though shooting it was justifiable IMO he insisted we butcher and eat it since he killed it.

Fried snake.JPG

It's true, tastes like chicken. Although it was kinda tough and rubbery - probably should have tenderized it first.

Anyway, quail were in fairly short supply where we checked, although we did have several chances and ended up shooting a couple of birds each with several embarrassing misses each. Also added a cottontail and a few ECDs to meat pile.

Hope others enjoyed opening day. Good luck!

Reactions: widgeon
Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
I was down there on Sunday. Saw a few Quail but busted in a no go area. I also wear snake gaters hunting in the brush down there. Those snakes down there are big. Glad you guys got a few.

John

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
I was down there on Sunday. Saw a few Quail but busted in a no go area. I also wear snake gaters hunting in the brush down there. Those snakes down there are big. Glad you guys got a few.

John
Big and fat. We expected to find a rabbit being digested inside this python but it's stomach was empty. Just a big fat boy. Lots of meat. John tenderized and deep fried some. Came out better than my pan fry method. Reptile, it's what's for dinner.

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
Side job
Rattlesnake is good. Ive had it a few times. We called it sting cheese chicken when we where kids

Upvote 0