Q105: As the screws Turn

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by NachoOne, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NachoOne

NachoOne Not your normal Nachos

Name:
    Nacho
    Boat:
    Long Gone
    Hey Guys, TUES IS OK IN MY BOOK.
    Something I just learned!

2. Rodman 28

Rodman 28 Newbie

Name:
    Mark Stephen
    Saltwater EATS aluminum....the AIR a plane flys in DOES NOT!!!!....POOR comparision!!!!......Mark

3. Yolo

Yolo Outcasts

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Relentless
  4. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    what a great photo

5. Gnarlymilk

Gnarlymilk Newbie

Name:
    "B"
    Boat:
    Tig Ol'Bitties
    :2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

Attached Files:

6. XL1

XL1 XL1

Name:
    XL
    Boat:
    www.excelsportfishing.com
    exactly

7. NachoOne

Name:
    Nacho
    Boat:
    Long Gone
    Lets not continue to add various posts that are not directly related to how are our deposits are kept safe at sport fishing landings and fishing boats, or at least held until our fishing advanture starts. Someone PM/emailed me and asked how do we even know if the boast we are getting on is properly maintained correctly, I think we have the Coast Guard doing verification, so now wondering how the Q105 was alllowed to leave port if not properly maintained. But maybe I will add that questions to the various sport fishing landings. I will ateempt to make all calls today to ask two questions; 1. What is their policy on protecting our deposits, 2. How do they insure that boat are properly maintained and safe for us to take a trip?
    Yep, this dead horse, just keeps getting up.

8. NachoOne

Name:
    Nacho
    Boat:
    Long Gone
    You have to wonder why someone would put up a post that MAY get this post shut down, what is their reason for that?

9. Chasntuna

Chasntuna Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    The one I choose to ride.
    I'm not THE expert on this subject, but having dabbled in a few commercial boat repowers and talking of this particular subject with some commercial boat owners, their feet are held to the fire by USCG; this annual inspections (out of water) as well as an array of other safety features to assure customer safety. All of the LR boats do hit dry-dock annually if they've operated X hours. Not to mention all the environmental protocal that must be met, especially in California. I don't know the details, but I would assume that the Q is likely still seaworthy; it is probably at that point though where USCG will not take a chance and it's at that "breaking point", thus needing $300K in repair. The projects I've been involved it, once a repower or any major retrofit takes place, the hull is ultrasonically tested bow to stern, port to starboard. The Gunwales are inspected, obviously all the machinery is thoroughly tested and a brutal round of sea-trials is completed. See Tim Ekstroms posts in RS website back two months ago to get a better ideal; Knowing what RS does mechanically is why I ride it (I'm sure though most, if not all others follow same practices). Like I said 19 chapters back in this post - be thankful USCG condemned her at the dock and they didn't have to send S&R crews out because they learned too late, the hull was shit.
    Bottom Line - I'm confident we're all on safe MACHINERY. People - that's another story; without naming names, there are 2 SD boats that ran ashore within the past 5 years - one of those sank at the dock before she was ran onto rocks. Not the fault of the machinery though..

10. Nuckin' Futs

Nuckin' Futs Newbie

Name:
    Paco
    Boat:
    42 Liberty Express, Sombra
    No way I can read this whole thread but isn't Frank Lopreste's stake in the Q over 50%?

11. LagunaTuna

LagunaTuna Newbie

Name:
    Skip
    Boat:
    Excel - Red Rooster - Reel Time

Probably not much BARE aluminum touching saltwater on a boat hull is my guess, some pretty sophisticated protection coatings aka "bottom paint" have been used for over 50 years now. My refference to the P-51 was more in regard to the lifespan and structural integrity of aluminum in general, pertaining to substructure, some pretty large/tall structures around the world being supported by aluminum framing.

The Q's problems are more structural than corrosive in nature from what I understand, she apparently hit something and the keel was then damaged further upon take it out for annual inspection, and she has a leaking fuel tank that was punctured. I could be wrong as I don't have the actual facts.

Yes you are 100% right though regarding saltwater, it is very corrosive, but did you know that plastic does not get broken down very well or very fast in saltwater? Takes a very long time for plastic to break down in the ocean, in fact it never totally goes away once it lands in the ocean, kind of like diamonds it's forever in saltwater. Some pretty incredible industrial/commercially used coatings being made these days out of high tech plastics, really great stuff for element protection, but not so great for the enviornment when it does not get discarded properly.

My bet is the "Q" eventually sails again WITH U.S. Coast Guard approval.

In fact the "Q" might make a very good investment for someone who knows the long range business and can purchase her on the cheap. Fishy, wide beam hull that rides like a charm in rough weather considering how low to the water she rides with a proven history. Building a boat of that size from scratch is a very expensive venture these days, and is a risky, long term return on your investment in a down economy.

12. Davidson Boats

Davidson Boats Newbie

Name:
    Davidson Boats
    Boat:
    1CRAZY1
    [QUOTE My bet is the "Q" eventually sails again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and without a doubt!

13. NachoOne

Name:
    Nacho
    Boat:
    Long Gone
    So, after many hours of research, this what I found. There is not one written policy on protecting your deposits. But EACH LANDING HAS IT OWN set of handlingyour deposits. But only one does hold your funds until the boat has providedyou with at least a start of a fishing trip, and that be H&M landing.

H&M Landing - told me over the phone that they actually hold yourdeposits from the boat until the boat departs on your fishing for your fishingtrip. Then turns your deposit over to the boat.

<font size="3">Point Loma Landing - turns all funds to the boats at their landing immediate.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]Fisherman Landing - gathers deposits and then turns your deposit over to theboat very shortly.<o:p></o:p>

Seaforth Landing - if I wrote this down correctly, deposits go to the boat immediately.<o:p></o:p>

So, if anyone is protecting your deposits, it is going be you by buying trip insurance or you can use a credit card, and you know that is NOT FOR THAT LONG of time! So a boat can cancel your trip without penalty, but you cancel and itis going to cost you a pretty penny. If the boat is not maintained properly, it is neither the boat owner&#8217;s problem nor the landings, it is now the US Coast Guards and you take the risk of losing your deposit. <o:p></o:p>

As for those protecting John Klein and the Q105, most likely they did nothave any money to lose, but everyone who had a deposit on the Q105 lost alltheir funds. Even those who stood up in defense of Klein got taken. In terms ofJohn providing anyone with help on using their deposits on another fishing tripon another boat that was just a delay tactic to give him additional time tofile Bankrupt as I asked each landing if they were aware of this offer and nonehas heard of such a thing.

Here is the result of just step one of my research to find the status of theQ105:

Theparty/organization has been officially censured by the CCA and a negativedesignation has been filed in permanent CCA records. After this point, it is stillpossible that the organization may contact you to resolve this complaint. Weregret that a more favorable outcome could not be reached, but be aware thatyour complaint will remain on record and will serve as a stern warning toothers to avoid all dealings with the party in question. Please inform us ifthe business/entity in question approaches you with an acceptable resolutionfrom this point forward. A resolution can still very likely be achieved, butthe organization will retain its negative designation due to the lack of a moretimely response.<o:p></o:p>

Hope you all got to Small Claims in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]<st1:city w:st="on">San Diego! F</st1:city></st1:place>rom NOW ON, I will be doing my own research on the condition of a boat, owner,and captain before I will book a long range trip again, this was my first and last 10 day fishing trip.<o:p></o:p>

Just be careful out there as there NO ONE PROTECTING YOUR Fishing boat deposits except YOU!<o:p></o:p>

THIS IS MY LAST POST ONTHIS SUBJECT. Sorry for all those who lost their deposits to the Q105, that was and is a ton of money.

14. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Praise the Lord! and may lightning strike you dead if you ever post of this again.

15. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Wils what is your issue with him telling folks what the status of the deposits on the 105 are......you may not be interested but perhaps some folks who have lost money are not as well versed in this issue as you are and are just waiting for their refund or their promised transfer to another boat....just sayin...did you lose anything?? Didn't think so.

16. HermosaJoe

HermosaJoe Well-Known "Member"

Exactly. I think we're making waaaaaayyy too much of what is, in reality, a very regrettable anomaly. But, then, it wasn't my $.

Oh, and 276 (!!!) is my lucky number. :)

17. NachoOne

Name:
    Nacho
    Boat:
    Long Gone
    lets move to the SUR CHARGE FULE CHARGE, !

18. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Unbelievable.......

Good Luck Nacho!.........

19. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Those That Lost,

I too am in the hole 2K (the entire trip cost), I was scheduled on a seven day at the end of July.
    If anyone else that has read this thread and has lost money is thinking of filing a class action suit against either the Q or the landing, let me know as I very possibly would like to be included.

KH

20. 2amguns

2amguns Newbie

Name:
    Tom Younce
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    If in fact, the landing handles deposits for the boats, INCLUDING the Q105???? Then, if the Landing KNEW the boat was a losing operation and was pilfering the money, via a ponzi scheme to use the current deposits of future sailings for the present day sailings??? then YES, SUE THE LANDING AS THEY ARE NOT IN BANKRUPTCY and they are in fact an agent of the Boat and or owner by accepting the deposits and handling the monies as well.

Like stated before. In the Lawsuits, YOU NAME EACH AND EVERY PERSON, all the way down to the people who empty the trash cans. If there are still deep pockets involved then go after them.

Go after the Insurance company that Insured the 105 as well. Spare nobody.
    The Landings, by accepting the monies and forwarding as well, have an expectation of knowing what is going on. There is NO WAY that sinking ass operation was kept hush hush. There is just way to much gossip on, in and or around the docks to keep that much damage a secret.

Check with your attorney's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.