Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
Just got back from the third trip to PV for my fiance and I. Each time we have fished with Scott Osuna and have never been disappointed. On 12/3 we landed and checked into the La Cruz Inn. Carol and John had our room ready. There was another group of guys from LA next door and they were going fishing with Danny the next day.

Met up with Danny at the dock and he gives me some bad news. Scott's boat the Marla 4 had a blown engine and Alonso's boat the Marla 2 had a bad oil leak. They were working on it but they didn't think it would be ready in time.:shithappens:

Danny made a few calls and secured a boat from Puerto Vallarta named Animal House. The guys showed up the next morning on time and we were off with Scott in tow. Picked up 50 cabbies and headed to El Banco. The tuna were there under the birds putting on a show. They were on the squid but we got a few to bite on the caballitos.
We popped the hook on the first fish then picked up a 150lb Blue Marlin. My fiance put the screws to him on an ATD 30 Topless and a 2X4 using a Smitty harness and plate. 20 minutes later we released the healthy sore mouthed fish. It was her first marlin.:appl:

The next couple of hours were the most fun I have had in a long time. We hooked five more tuna and landed four (lost a double header due to a saw off). The Topless ATD's 30's and 50's performed flawlessly. We had them loaded with 100,130, and 200lb spectra with short leaders of 100lb Blackwater. We finished off the rigs with 7/0 Owner ringed Super Mutus. The rods used were Super Seeker 2X4's and 6463 xxh and xxxxh's. These fish were downright mean and would not settle down. They used every trick in the book including running us around the boat, kamikaze, and violent head shakes trying to pop the hook. When the dust settled we ended up with 4 on the boat with the biggest taping out at 167lb.

As if my arms weren't sore enough after that we tried for some pargo at a high spot. The caballitos did not get bit but I decided to drop down a Tady 4/0 in white with a glow back. On the third drop I got hammered and ended up landing my first amberjack. I asked Scott about ciguatera poisoning but he said they don't get it there. Either way I gave that fish to the crew. They said they make a good soup from the head.

Day two started off a with a different issue. They had fixed the Marla 2 but they couldn't get any bait. Alonso and Roberto Osuna joined us for the day along with Scott. We talked about what to do and decided to try and make bait with sabiki's at the point. It was hilarious because they were using trout gear to catch small blue runners (aka hardtails aka cookies). This was the smartest thing we did the whole trip. Along the way Alonso got one of the bait guys to sell us 30 caballito and we were off to El Banco. There wasn't a lick of wind so we tried flying the balloon instead of the kite. The tuna put on a show again forcing small squid to the surface but ignored the caballitos. We ended up flylining a blue runner and it gets bit. The fish settles in real nice. Made short work of him with the XXXXH and the 50T. When they dropped him on the deck I couldn't believe it was that big. Taped flat/straight fork length was 69 inches and the girth was 50 inches. At 215 this is my first cow.:urno1: Everyone was high 5'ing and laughing. I was happy to be sure I broke 200 without guestimation (I suggest everyone invest in a tape measure and a calculator and bring them). BTW I am 6'4 and every bit of 280 these days so keep that in mind for reference.

I just want to thank a few people that made this life long dream possible. Sam, Steve, Ed and the gang at Baja Fish Gear, Moon at Fisherman's Depot, Danny, Scott, Alonso, and Roberto Osuna of Marla Sportfishing, the fishing buddies Caserock and Don, but most importantly my fiance Mary Ann who cheered me on the whole way. Sorry for the long report but this was one I will never forget.

Last edited:

ALUMINATOR

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 16, 2003
North San Diego County
caspsolutions.com
Name
Dennis
Boat
27' self built
Don't worry about posting a long report! Catching your largest tuna and it being over the 200 pound mark is a feat many never experience. Congrats on your trip and the life long memories.

I did get a laugh at your ending thank you's. Sounds like a movie star thanking every one after winning an oscar award. LOL LOL

Juan

Aug 31, 2009
Sayulita
Name
Juan Munoz
Boat
24' Grady White
good job Osunas !!!

sandslingerxxx

Jan 29, 2005
Carson, Ca
Name
Sam
Boat
N/A
Great job Omar!

Glad to see everything finally lined up for you. I know the fish were poppin and you were headed down there. Couldn't wait to see the report.

Congratulations on some beautiful tuna. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime!

MOON

Apr 28, 2005
Westminster
Name
MOON
Boat
Crestliner 16 Angler
Wow I really feel like a donkey for not trying to make the trip but you know how that goes, not enough time and a buck too short....Really glad you and Mary Ann had another wonderful trip maybe next time thanks for sharing......

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Omar... another secret "unannounced" trip to PV and this time.... son it paid off well !!!! Congrats on the cow and how the Osuna's put together a trip for you and your fiance.

Well done ... and nice set of fish for your trip !!!!!!!

la hormiga

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 1, 2007
PUERTO VALLARTA JAL
Name
EL HORMIGA
Boat
ANIMAL HOUSE CABO 35''
GOOD PICTURES ON BORD ANIMAL HOUSE OMAR NICES TUNAS GOOD DAY WAS LIKE PERFECT,WITH THE CAP.SCOOT OSUNA ,
YESTERDAY FISHING 4 LIKE 120 LBS IN THE KITE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......COMO GUSANERA.
CONGRATULATIONS
PENDIENTES.

Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
Yeah mad props to the Animales Luis, David, and Marco. They had the tuna going like a conga line in the bow. :gaygroup:. My armpit is still purple. The best part was when we insisted that they take out the fighting chair as we were heading out. The whole crew was like hell yeah!!!:Death_To_Above:Pinche tunas mañosas estaban picando como gusaneras para ustedes. Mucho respeto. If you guys are staying in downtown PV look these guys up. Their Cabo is bien machine except for the chair which is a little :supergay:

Last edited:

coldtuna

Aug 28, 2005
Chicago
Name
Merle
Boat
Lund 1750 Tyee
Congrats on a great trip.

The Osunas are a class act and super fisherman.

Paul Dennis

Sep 30, 2008
Veneta,Oregon
Name
Paul Dennis
Boat
26 ft Boulton
Good job again Danny; keep breaking those rods and I'll keep fixing them for you guys. I hope your brothers can get those boats fixed and get back in action. Merry Christmas too to your whole family.

la hormiga

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 1, 2007
PUERTO VALLARTA JAL
Name
EL HORMIGA
Boat
ANIMAL HOUSE CABO 35''
asi es omar estaremos siempre listos para cuando gustes pescar en el animal house con cap.scoot osuna y la tripulacion del ANIMAL HOUSE
suerte .

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Omar ... don't use catching fish to blame for the "purple" armpit !!!:hali_ruahahaha:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
Gracias Hormiga. Suerte Compa.

Ah Michael. I think I am going to have to put the mouse under my arm and use that to click so I can build up my pit muscles. This desk jockey job has me all wimpy. Hormiga and the jokers were laughing hard behind me cause I had to keep switching my stance to keep the arm from going numb. After the third fish they caught me resting my face on the reel while catching my breath. The cold billet aluminum of the ATD felt soooo good. Like a tile bathroom floor when you :hali_olutta:too much

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Now that's funny shit right there !!!! nice work .....

inSTANt bendo

Oct 1, 2003
Temecula
Name
Stan
Boat
Outrider Sportfishing
You just fuel the fire that was burning to get back down there. I'll be contacting Danny Osuna shortly for a January trip.

Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
We did pretty good last year in Jan on MLK weekend. The tuna weren't as big but they bit the double trouble caballitos on the kite really well. The pargo were biting good too. Here are couple of pics from that trip.