I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2008
Colorado
Name
Matt
Boat
Panga
Hola Everyone,

I recently have had more time to spend in Mexico and have been fishing the Barra De Navidad area south of PV a couple times per week and plan to do so until March. I am wondering what the "typical" range of trolling speeds are in PV, especially for stripped and blue marlin, fishing common marlin lures?

How much if any do you typically slow if targeting dorado?

We run a 24' super panga with a Honda 90 HP.

Cheers!

Attachments

Bullshipper

Jan 4, 2006
Yucaipa/San Carlos, Sonora
Name
Jeff
Boat
Prokat 26
The speed depends on what you are running, ocean conditions, etc.
You generally want to place you lures different distances in your spread so that all come out of the water about every 4 seconds or less, simulating a skipjack chasing bait with a porpose swim pattern. Its this spash that attacts em up from the deep.

So if you run em close, you can run slower, faster if you run them long, but you should probably try around 8 mph for lures for sails and striped marlin, 12 mph for blue marlin, and up to 16 mph for wahoo, which are also in your area. A little faster lets you cover more area, upping your chances.

Trolling with live bait slowly is done after you see them or mark them on your fish finder, and usually about 1.5-2 mph is good for trolling live skippies.

Inshore with rapalas, 6-8, Xraps= bit faster.

ALUMINATOR

Sep 16, 2003
North San Diego County
caspsolutions.com
Name
Dennis
Boat
27' self built
Matt,

Speed also depends on the lure you are using. The larger marlin plastics might take 8K or more just to get them to "work" Smaller ones like 6.5K behind my boat.

I prefer live bait over plastic so most of the time the speed is much slower. When the time is right skipping dead bait with the kite can be a blast! Juan introduced me to this years ago but always turned his back to me when he was using his secret method of hooking the goggle eyes. LOL LOL One of these days he might show me how to do it.

I wished I had a sure fire way to catch Dorado! Some days you can't keep them off the big plastics and others they will not eat live. Go figure.

capt.pete

Capt Pete Puerto Vallarta
Feb 4, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
www.travelvallarta.com
Name
Peter Vines
Boat
40 ft sportfisher
all depends on the weather,wind,current,size of your boat and the seas
we always have Capt watching for finners on the surface to use pitch baits at any time and mate on the lures/baits watching to see what is going to hit
if you see the fish hit your chances of hooking go way up
Tight lines
Capt Pete
Puerto vallarta