PV mid June surf and offshore ?'s

Discussion in 'Mexico Fishing Reports' started by motoangler, May 15, 2018.

1. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    Really one request and one question.

My wife and I will be going to PV for the first time in June. We're staying at a resort on Litibu Beach in Punta Mita. I'd really like to take a trip offshore on this trip, but chartering a boat as a single passenger and leaving the misses at the resort for an entire day is a hard sell.

So the request:
    If you are planning a charter around PV 6/12-6/14, and would be interested adding an extra passenger to split costs, let me know. I have contacted Danny and Lora based on info here on BD. Unfortunately they didn't have anything for a single add on passanger.

The question:
    Surf fishing from Litibu Beach, what to expect? A quick search showed some potential fishing Litibu. I'm bringing my travel setup and plan on hitting the beach each morning. I plan on taking the Cabo approach, stick baits, poppers, big spoons (krocs, kastmasters) and looking for bait schools and structure. Am I missing anything? What kind of fish are typically hanging out at the beach in june?

Thanks in advance

2. gringofrijolero

gringofrijolero gringofrijolero

Name:
    Capt. Ben
    Boat:
    23.25 Harbercraft Kingfisher
    Roosters, needlefish, jack crevalle and the occasional snook. If there are no waves the fishing can be really good. Definitely poppers stickbaits crocs. I used to live right there and fished it whenever it was flat. Surf is pretty much close outs there. But occasionally a sand bar will form.

karlk1125 and motoangler like this.
  3. georgegav

georgegav Newbie

Tony, Lora is really professional and will get you on fish. He is an experienced inshore fisherman and you can do a half-day and be back in the harbor by noon. Best case scenario will be to convince your wife to come along. If not, set her up with a massage that morning. Have her meet you at the harbor at noon. Grab some of your catch and bring it over to one of the local restaurants. They'll prepare for really cheap and I assure you it will be one of the best meals of the trip. By the time you are done with lunch your catch will be filleted and ready to bring back to the hotel. Easy as that. You might find a cheaper charter but you definitely get what you pay for. Good luck.

motoangler likes this.
  4. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm really looking forward to hitting the surf.

Would a half day get me out far enough to chase some pelagics? Tuna, dorado, or anything with a bill would be my preferred targets on this first visit. Lora has many happy customers here on BD, if I do decide to go for a shorter run I'll be contacting him for sure.

If I head down with a few other anglers, I'd probably try both inshore and offshore as a varied species fishing trip.

Counting the days...

TonyC likes this.
  5. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320 EC
    Castmasters and little poppers...I had great luck with the little 3.5in yo zuri popper down there. I love that big beach there...go to punta negra where there's some decent structure!

motoangler likes this.
  6. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    It depends where the Pelagics are, but you should have a shot at dorado, small (15-30lb) yellowfin and maybe even a sailfish.

motoangler likes this.
  7. John Argiso

John Argiso Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    john argiso
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 26
    There is a really nice high spot about a mile straight out from the hotel you are in. Grab a kayak and paddle out there. comes up to 20 feet in 300 feet of water. I go out there once in a while and it's loaded with Big jack crevalle, snapper galor, sierra, pompano and even dorado. Last time I was out there I swam with a whale shark for an hour and had a couple 8 foot mantas buzz me. Obviously some sort of upwelling there. If you have a hand held gps, bring it and I will shoot you numbers.
    And, there are some nice amberjack around that will kick your ass!

Metau and motoangler like this.
  8. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks John, that is some solid info. and I appreciate the offer on numbers.

9. karlk1125

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    John, I always see boats fishing that spot. Very interesting!

10. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    What size leader would you guys recommend for fishing surface lures from the beach?

I was thinking of 3' of 60lbs floro connected to 75lbs TA power clip. The reel I plan on taking has 50lbs braid. Lures will be 1.5-3.5 oz. RP knot from braid to floro and SD jam knot to the clip.

Thanks again for all of the great info.

11. BrokenBackRebel

BrokenBackRebel GringoJustin

Name:
    Justin Ryan
    Boat:
    Mi Sueño/Aztec/Apollo
    Been lots of jacks around Litibu recently. Some roosters in skiff range in front of Punta de Mita. 1 guy, you might wanna look up Carlos of Snook Mafia. Send me a message or give me a call when you get here, I fish almost every day, your welcome to join. [email protected]
    (322)127-8455

60lb leaders are good.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    TonyC and motoangler like this.
  12. TonyC

TonyC Newbie

Name:
    Tony Cruz
    Boat:
    18ft Palmer, Tiderunner
    great post, thank you. i'm heading down in September and wondered about the shore action too. i bought an 8ft travel rod and a sling pack with a few poppers, krocks, and swim baits. staying at palladium resort, but i rented a car...so i'm a little mobile. using a penn 5000 with 30# spectra, with 40# mono leader. i hope that's enough, but i'd love to get spooled. lol. doing the same thing fish 2 hour after sunrise while wife is sleeping. lol

13. motoangler

motoangler Newbie

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks again for all of the great info, we had a great trip. Unfortunately hurricane Bud made things a little difficult. I put in three surf sessions on the North side of Punta Negra. Not much for signs of life within casting range. I could see fish breaking about 1/4 mile out or more, along with some working birds, neither of which worked their way in.

I did get out for a half day inshore trip with Lora teaming up with sweiss16 here on BD. The game plan was to head out to bottom fish for grouper, but Hurricane Bud had other ideas. After a very sloppy run up swell, we turned to the beach for some surface fishing. Lora made the best of the conditions, and got us on spots with fish even if it wasn't what we were hoping for. Pulled, needle fish, tiger grouper, and a green jack off the rocks with the stick baits, and stopped to pull a grip of trigger fish off the bottom for some ceviche meat.

All in all it was still great to get on the water somewhere new, and with a good captain and company. Hopefully the next trip will have more cooperative weather.