DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Headed out Thursday night around 9PM for our 1st shot @ BFT this season on my boat. Weather has been brutal on my days off and it finally looked like a decent day so we headed off for the Middle 9 -302-425 @ 8.5 kts where the action had been decent the previous couple of days. Found a lot of bait on the 9 and the 302 but no Tuna marks so we bent it SE for the 425 zone and arrived around 2AM East of the pens where one of my buddies had already hooked and lost one. Saw maybe 15 sportboats within a 15 square mile area and Metered a couple of small packs of fish while heading to the eastern side of the fleet keeping a 1/4 mile distance from other boats while passing through. Found a suitable spot about 400 yards from my buddy and started bombing with Glowing Flatfalls down to 250' as they were passing through from 150-225' every 10 or 15 minutes. Never even got a sniff wile my buddy's crew went 1 for 10 on 125# fish; 4 Broke off , one on the props; 4 unbuttoned, and one unlucky BFT has a $1600 setup following him hopefully for a short time. Pretty much dried up by 7:30 so we headed back west looking for breezers but never saw any the rest of the day; evidently we should have moved farther SE as it bit down there on the Flyers for the few that worked it.. The 4th kelp we came upon south of the 302 took the skunk off the boat with 15 rats released to break up the boredom. Back in the Slip by 2PM and greeted by the DFW who followed us to the slip but they were nice and asked a few questions; I offered them to come aboard and review my paperwork as they were concerned if my trip was pleasure or commercial. I stated it was a pleasure trip as the BFT were in Mexican Waters and we can't sell Mexican caught fish. They said we looked beat and they wouldn't take up anymore of our time so they left. Lessons Learned: bring a High Powered rechargeable battery LED Flood light like a cheap Ryobi to recharge your Glow Jigs instead of relying on deck lights and cell phones for a much quicker and brighter glow recharge. I don't have all the details yet but one angler on my buddy's boat hooked 9 of the 10 fish they hooked; and the only difference my buddy noticed was he cranked faster than the others and got the bites. I was cranking my Accurate Reel pretty fast as well but never got a bump and 8 of his bites were on the retrieve not the fall which I thought was unusual, but to be honest I haven't fished flatfalls that much so that's part of the learning curve. For my boat it can only get better from here on out fishing the night routine but I'm praying for them to settle in somewhere and get back on the surface where I know we can do some damage with poppers and stickbaits as we have in the past. Good Luck this weekend just give others some space and hopefully you will be rewarded

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Thanks for the report. Skip the led flash light and get a UV flashlight. I did some test and noticed that it makes the jig glow faster and last longer too. You can get them on Amazon for fairly cheap. Here’s a link for reference.
Now that's a Hot Tip THANKS!

The light I was referring to can be set up on our bait tank or wherever and everyone can use it
2 batteries should last all night

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
S
SD714
No worries. Thank you for the info; I hope you get em next time
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    . Lessons Learned: bring a High Powered rechargeable battery LED Flood light like a cheap Ryobi to recharge your Glow Jigs instead of relying on deck lights and cell phones for a much quicker and brighter glow recharge. I don't have all the details yet but one angler on my buddy's boat hooked 9 of the 10 fish they hooked; and the only difference my buddy noticed was he cranked faster than the others and got the bites. I was cranking my Accurate Reel pretty fast as well but never got a bump and 8 of his bites were on the retrieve
    How did this light make your buddys buddy crank faster than everyone else? :confused:

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Now that's a Hot Tip THANKS!

The light I was referring to can be set up on our bait tank or wherever and everyone can use it
    2 batteries should last all night
    Amazon product
    I have one of these at it charges the jigs extremely fast.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks for the report, and interesting info on the lights. I collect minerals in both spectrums, long (less common) and short wave. The dark room demonstration shows how the specific spectrum applies to the jigs ability to capture the energy. Interesting, the light shown, the Kobra UV beast shows the spectrum of 385-395 nm, more to the longwave side. I am not convinced the brighter glow would be bad, but who knows? I would figure tuna eyes are better at picking up spectrums of glowing light like those produced by squid. As we know, squid produce spectrums of 450-490nm. (closer to blue) http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2009/brasov/MN/MN16.pdf I will probably get one, just to have my jig in the water longer than others at the rail! Sorry about your crew dropping the setup! fluorescent-minerals.jpg

ultraviolet-spectrum.jpg

Upvote 0

Jolyon

Sep 25, 2018
    Crescent City, CA
    Name
    Jolyon Walkley
    Boat
    Ophiodon
    Headed out Thursday night around 9PM for our 1st shot @ BFT this season on my boat. Weather has been brutal on my days off and it finally looked like a decent day so we headed off for the Middle 9 -302-425 @ 8.5 kts where the action had been decent the previous couple of days. Found a lot of bait on the 9 and the 302 but no Tuna marks so we bent it SE for the 425 zone and arrived around 2AM East of the pens where one of my buddies had already hooked and lost one. Saw maybe 15 sportboats within a 15 square mile area and Metered a couple of small packs of fish while heading to the eastern side of the fleet keeping a 1/4 mile distance from other boats while passing through. Found a suitable spot about 400 yards from my buddy and started bombing with Glowing Flatfalls down to 250' as they were passing through from 150-225' every 10 or 15 minutes. Never even got a sniff wile my buddy's crew went 1 for 10 on 125# fish; 4 Broke off , one on the props; 4 unbuttoned, and one unlucky BFT has a $1600 setup following him hopefully for a short time. Pretty much dried up by 7:30 so we headed back west looking for breezers but never saw any the rest of the day; evidently we should have moved farther SE as it bit down there on the Flyers for the few that worked it.. The 4th kelp we came upon south of the 302 took the skunk off the boat with 15 rats released to break up the boredom. Back in the Slip by 2PM and greeted by the DFW who followed us to the slip but they were nice and asked a few questions; I offered them to come aboard and review my paperwork as they were concerned if my trip was pleasure or commercial. I stated it was a pleasure trip as the BFT were in Mexican Waters and we can't sell Mexican caught fish. They said we looked beat and they wouldn't take up anymore of our time so they left. Lessons Learned: bring a High Powered rechargeable battery LED Flood light like a cheap Ryobi to recharge your Glow Jigs instead of relying on deck lights and cell phones for a much quicker and brighter glow recharge. I don't have all the details yet but one angler on my buddy's boat hooked 9 of the 10 fish they hooked; and the only difference my buddy noticed was he cranked faster than the others and got the bites. I was cranking my Accurate Reel pretty fast as well but never got a bump and 8 of his bites were on the retrieve not the fall which I thought was unusual, but to be honest I haven't fished flatfalls that much so that's part of the learning curve. For my boat it can only get better from here on out fishing the night routine but I'm praying for them to settle in somewhere and get back on the surface where I know we can do some damage with poppers and stickbaits as we have in the past. Good Luck this weekend just give others some space and hopefully you will be rewarded
    I use an old cheap camera flash to recharge lures. Very quick, just hold the lure up to it and zap it a few times. Just remember to warn everyone to close their eyes!

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Thanks for the report. Skip the led flash light and get a UV flashlight. I did some test and noticed that it makes the jig glow faster and last longer too. You can get them on Amazon for fairly cheap. Here’s a link for reference.
    How long does the jig stay charged? In the video the jig wasn't glowing after 3 minutes.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I’ve heard plenty of seasoned sport boat captains say that glow isn’t much of a necessity. You’re probably wasting some time trying to glow it while missing a bite on a chrome jig.

Just got back from 1.5 on Tomahawk, glow really wasn't much of a thing at all. When pressure at the rail would lag late in the night the Deck Hands would drop something, often a knife jig w/o any glow and they got bit plenty. Never once saw them re-charge their jig. I fished 300 G Zebra Glow SK jig (Chrome Side 1/Half Chrome & Half Glow Side 2), never charged it except for inadvertent/boat lights. I got bit 4 times twice on the drop/twice on the crank. Good luck!
    PXL_20210524_074230417.jpg

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    More good info-thanks! What rod/reel setups worked? What was your success rate, 1 to 4 or did you get more to stick? Nice work!

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    More good info-thanks! What rod/reel setups worked? What was your success rate, 1 to 4 or did you get more to stick? Nice work!

All 4 bites stuck; 120#, 125#, 185#. 7'6" UC Viper w/Mak 20 SEa loaded w/700 yards of 100# JB Metered Braid w/100# fluoro topshot. Big fish was 185# landed in less than 20 minutes; finished the fight w/40# of drag. Absolutely Loved the Viper/Mak combo; first trip for this rig not even close to bottomed out with 40# of drag on that fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    All 4 bites stuck. 7'6" UC Viper w/Mak 20 SEa loaded w/700 yards of 100# JB Metered Braid w/100# fluoro topshop. Big fish was 185# landed in less than 20 minutes; finished the fight w/40# of drag. Absolutely Loved the Viper/Mak combo; first trip for this rig not even close to bottomed out with 40# of drag on that fish.
    Nice fish if that was me I'd have gone through 2 jars of Advil by now!

Upvote 0