IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
I’m thinking about getting a trolling Motor for my 19 foot Montauk. I’m just starting my research and had a few questions.

1) will a 24volt system be adequate?

2) will 60 inch shaft be long enough?

3) Minn Kota or Motor Guide?

4) would like to keep bow rails on. Do ether of the trolling Motors deploy differently so it can deploy under the rail?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    1) Minimum 24V for your boat. I use 12V on mine and it works great for non wheather /little wind day. Anything greater than a 10mph gust and it struggles.
    2) 60” Should work. The longer the shaft the better for the motor and prop not coming out of water in swell
    3) Love my Minnkota with iPilot. Game changer!
    4) If you have higher bow rails you could make it work but it will be awkward. The pedal release on the Minnkota will make it easy to deploy but locking back up with rail in the way May be difficult.

B7B45CB1-AFB2-4C6F-BDF3-74DDF2955F83.jpeg 61AEE4A3-14AD-4E8F-BD44-4D1FF5C75850.jpeg

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Willboggy how did you mount it. Is that the quick release bracket? Did you just screw into the deck or do you need to find an area with wood??
    Custom Bracket I made. Motor can stay or go with me. Here are some links but you can also search "Trolling Motor Mount" to find more

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...whaler-170-montauk.581722/page-2#post-3788723

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/need-a-plate-fabbed.676812/#post-4503739

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/trolling-motor-integrated-with-gps.656859/#post-4338271

Let me know if you need any help with your project.
    Will

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

Bwood

Jan 24, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Brett
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    have a 17', left bow rails and used the same quick release bracket, it takes a little more effort to deploy and retrieve TM, but really not that bad. Mine does not have power upfront, so installed a plug in the center console, and used a weather strip to rout through anchor locker and out under cooler. 24 volt, 60 or 80 I believe. more than enough power, anymore, it just means is too rough to use TM and out comes the drift sock. Usually if its blowing above 10 Knots, too much bow lift to keep TM in the water and it just pounds.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    I have a 12v on my classic montauk. like willy mentioned if it’s blowing 10+ it has a hard time holding position. i was out in 20+ and was slowly drifting off with position hold.

I made a custom plate and don’t take off my trolling motor. boat is garaged.

brand wise... both are good. I went motorguide for the comparability with the lowrance electronics.

228D7194-14A9-4967-A695-A757402848CC.jpeg

Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
    May 12, 2009
    Menifee, CA United States
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
    Made a custom bracket for mine that extends under the bow rail. Quick release mount is then mounted to the bracket and simple to remove. No wood on my boat so I drilled 1” holes and filled them with epoxy then drilled the bolt holes through the epoxy and used large washers underneath as backer plates. Bracket is 3/4” Starboard. Has been on the boat for about 5 years with zero problems. Very strong setup. Hope this helps.

68D86BA5-0C8C-4FCC-9FD0-EEF4F7BC3018.jpeg 045B8050-532A-4B7B-A8B4-19C00A7EECB0.jpeg

Upvote 0

Whaler chris

Jan 15, 2019
    Denver
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Installed Panel.jpg

I mounted a Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive 70 lbs 54" shaft to my 2014 Montauk 170 with a bow rail, using the RTA 17 Riptide quick release bracket. To clear above the edge bumper rail, I shimmed the bracket "puck" up 3/8" using a cheap plastic cutting board (worked great, cheaper than Starboard) that I cut to match the puck shape, with a second piece cut to match the portion of the base that mounts to the motor (and trimmed a curve to avoid the edge rail). They nest together perfectly, and with a very clean look. I CAREFULLY checked the location of the puck (marked it out with blue tape, used rubber clamps to hold it on the boat temporarily) and raised and lowered the motor multiple times to be sure it cleared under the rail (by about 1 1/2") before screwing it to the deck. From inside the boat it takes a little extra leverage to lean down and swing the motor before sliding it back, but its totally manageable.
    Quick Release Puck.jpg
    Base Shim.JPG
    Fishing Wire.jpg

Also, installed a Battery Tender trolling motor plug underneath the bow cleat and was delighted to find, behind the holes I drilled, a plastic chase that leads into the center console, where I ran 6 ga wires with a 60 amp breaker, and mounted two 12v group 27 AGM marine batteries and a Minn Kota Precision 3 bank MKA 330 charger. Very pleased with how it turned out.
    Batteries Charger.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

shadrock

Jun 3, 2019
    Florida
    Name
    shad wilson
    Boat
    Montauk 170
    Whaler Chris that looks great. I've been thinking about that exact setup for months now. Couple questions if you don't mind: did you hit wood backing when drilling all four holes for the puck? What hardware did you use to secure the puck... just screws or did you get underneath so you could use bolts/nuts? I can't figure out whether I need to access under there to put on nuts, I'd definitely prefer not to, but i'm scared to just put in four screws. Many thanks for any advice!

Upvote 0

Whaler chris

Jan 15, 2019
    Denver
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    Hi Shadrock. The whaler manual shows ½” sparalloy backer (high density plastic) at the deck location next to the bow light where I mounted the puck, and when I drilled into the deck, that seemed to be true. I used four Phillips flat head stainless steel screws similar in diameter to the thru-bolts that came with the Minn Kota and long enough to go through the puck+shim and about an inch or so into the deck (I think they were #14 x 2.5” or 3” long). I predrilled the holes a couple bit sizes smaller than the dia of the screws and filled them with 3M 5200 to seal and keep the screws from vibrating loose. Self-tapping screws would have been nice to minimize chances of flaking the gel coat as the screws go in, but they weren’t readily available. The mount is rock solid and I don’t feel that for a 70# motor any thru-bolting was necessary (not to mention it would have been hard to do with the solid whaler hull). Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Eric Van Olst

Apr 22, 2018
    So Cal
    Name
    Dutch Courage
    Boat
    Montauk 190
    I have a 2015 - Montauk 190. No bow rails. Minn Kota i-pilot. 36V system with the batteries in the console. Similar mounting as whaler chris. Drilled holes and tapped them. The backing material was under the deck right where the manual said it would be. If you have an older whaler it probably needs to be thru bolted. The puck system with a quick release is really nice to have. Its simple to take the trolling motor off the boat when your not using it.

Upvote 0
    Jun 3, 2019
    Headland
    Name
    Blake A Robertson
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Montauk 190
    View attachment 1018743
    I mounted a Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive 70 lbs 54" shaft to my 2014 Montauk 170 with a bow rail, using the RTA 17 Riptide quick release bracket. To clear above the edge bumper rail, I shimmed the bracket "puck" up 3/8" using a cheap plastic cutting board (worked great, cheaper than Starboard) that I cut to match the puck shape, with a second piece cut to match the portion of the base that mounts to the motor (and trimmed a curve to avoid the edge rail). They nest together perfectly, and with a very clean look. I CAREFULLY checked the location of the puck (marked it out with blue tape, used rubber clamps to hold it on the boat temporarily) and raised and lowered the motor multiple times to be sure it cleared under the rail (by about 1 1/2") before screwing it to the deck. From inside the boat it takes a little extra leverage to lean down and swing the motor before sliding it back, but its totally manageable. View attachment 1018744View attachment 1018756View attachment 1018746

Also, installed a Battery Tender trolling motor plug underneath the bow cleat and was delighted to find, behind the holes I drilled, a plastic chase that leads into the center console, where I ran 6 ga wires with a 60 amp breaker, and mounted two 12v group 27 AGM marine batteries and a Minn Kota Precision 3 bank MKA 330 charger. Very pleased with how it turned out.
    View attachment 1018745

Upvote 0
    Jun 3, 2019
    Headland
    Name
    Blake A Robertson
    Boat
    View attachment 1018743
    I mounted a Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive 70 lbs 54" shaft to my 2014 Montauk 170 with a bow rail, using the RTA 17 Riptide quick release bracket. To clear above the edge bumper rail, I shimmed the bracket "puck" up 3/8" using a cheap plastic cutting board (worked great, cheaper than Starboard) that I cut to match the puck shape, with a second piece cut to match the portion of the base that mounts to the motor (and trimmed a curve to avoid the edge rail). They nest together perfectly, and with a very clean look. I CAREFULLY checked the location of the puck (marked it out with blue tape, used rubber clamps to hold it on the boat temporarily) and raised and lowered the motor multiple times to be sure it cleared under the rail (by about 1 1/2") before screwing it to the deck. From inside the boat it takes a little extra leverage to lean down and swing the motor before sliding it back, but its totally manageable. View attachment 1018744View attachment 1018756View attachment 1018746

View attachment 1018745
    I know it’s been quite some time since you have located that plastic chase but can you remember the exact location after you made a hole for your battery tender. I have a 190 Montauk 2007 model and made a hole for my battery tender in the exact spot and I am unable to find this plastic chase. Is it more down from the cleat or back?

Upvote 0

IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
    Aug 7, 2007
    Huntington Beach CA
    Name
    Jimmy
    Boat
    Boston whaler 19
    I don’t think the early Montauk have any wire tubes or any way to run the wires. They started doing that later. I called BW and they looked up the schematic.

Upvote 0
    Jun 3, 2019
    Headland
    Name
    Blake A Robertson
    Boat
    have a 17', left bow rails and used the same quick release bracket, it takes a little more effort to deploy and retrieve TM, but really not that bad. Mine does not have power upfront, so installed a plug in the center console, and used a weather strip to rout through anchor locker and out under cooler. 24 volt, 60 or 80 I believe. more than enough power, anymore, it just means is too rough to use TM and out comes the drift sock. Usually if its blowing above 10 Knots, too much bow lift to keep TM in the water and it just pounds.
    Unfortunately I do not have power up front either. BW Support told me that I did and after questioning and drilling a hole under the cleat I do not. How did you do yours from the console? Can you share a pic? Any learnings? I have a 2007 BW Montauk 190. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Bwood

Jan 24, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Brett
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    Here you go. TM doc did the basic install. 24v. Batteries in center con. I Just use portable charger. Used door threshold to cover run from bow to under cooler with Velcro strips to hold done and through anchor locker under rubber mat. Clean enough and somewhat easy to remove.

04102D66-682B-4BFD-B3D2-C4D1B87B1D8E.jpeg 94576525-6F0A-4C82-B378-4DF91A648160.jpeg 21D9F1ED-C284-4EE4-AE99-B56F776A6D7E.jpeg 7333AC1E-B2C2-4738-8722-6DEE21A2A703.jpeg

Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

Jason Dillon

Jul 19, 2019
    Beaufort SC
    Name
    Jason dillon
    Boat
    1984 17’ Montauk
    I’m thinking about getting a trolling Motor for my 19 foot Montauk. I’m just starting my research and had a few questions.

4) would like to keep bow rails on. Do ether of the trolling Motors deploy differently so it can deploy under the rail?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jason Dillon

Jul 19, 2019
    Beaufort SC
    Name
    Jason dillon
    Boat
    1984 17’ Montauk
    Hey I have a 1984 17’ Montauk and I want to put a Minn Kota 80 lb thrust 60” shaft... do you think that sounds like a good set up for my boat? I’m not trying to go overkill on this project and want to keep the boat as light as I can get away with but it sounds like a 12v and a 54” shaft is too small

]I’m thinking about getting a trolling Motor for my 19 foot Montauk. I’m just starting my research and had a few questions.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    when the wind is up 15kts + I have a hard time keeping the boat stationary with the trolling motor. I have a 54” and 12v motorguide xi5 55lbs thrust. I have complete classic bow rail

but then again in a montauk when the wind is up you are going to slap all over the place anyways. not too enjoyable.

if your putting it on an 19’ montauk get the higher thrust and voltage

Upvote 0