Pursuit Yellowtail 5/14

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by streetnfish, May 14, 2018.

1. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey guys,
    Jumped on the Pursuit today after seeing that they caught some yellowtail yesterday. At 6am this morning they had 20 reservations. I figuered we would get out with about 35. More than I like but doable. I got in line with about 20 guys. The boat was out getting bait. When they returned at 5:30 we all boarded and I was able to get a bunk. I was happy and proceeded to rig up my rods. Setups included 100j with Fathom25N (jigs),Okuma Cedros speed jig with Trinidad 16N (deep jigging) , and Abyss 909H with Lexa HD 400 (bait/misc). After setting up I walked to the back of the boat and people were still loading ! We left port with 50 anglers ! Had I known that, I would have stayed home but oh well I just figured I'd have to manage my expectations and enjoy the day best I could. There were the regular familiar faces so I had some friends with me. So with my new attitude adjustment, I hit the rack for some shut eye.
    We approached the island around 830 and swung around the corner 20180514_082110.jpg
    20180514_082757.jpg
    We set up on a spot and Capt John said to let them go. Gus and Jeremy were on deck and Ryan was in the galley. For bait we had a mix of 5" dines and "mini" live squid (about 3-4"). We had 50 guys so you can imaging what the stern looked like. (Check out the thread "Combat fishing on the Liberty") I cast out a few times and got picked up by some fellow anglers a few times. No fish were biting yet and after awhile I figuered that it wasn't worth losing my spectra when the fish were not biting. I headed up to the bow and tested out a few of my new surface irons to see how they swam.
    Meanwhile, no fish were biting. No bass no perch nothing. Finally around 10:00 a guy gets picked up by the right kind. A Big right kind ! The line is just peeling off his Fathom 15 as he weaves his way around the crowd. You can imagine the tangles. Up the side he goes and soon after the fish breaks him off. Bummer! He said he was bit on squid so I started tossing out the small squid on 25lb flouro with 1/8oz slider.
    Around 30 min later another guy hooks up then another, then another. 3 fish hooked and these look manageable size. The guys dance around the tangles and Gus and Jeremy do a great job getting all the fish on the deck. Alright fish are starting to bite. The fish are all spiked and bled immediately,then placed in the new RSW.Nice 20180514_110337.jpg
    20180514_110344.jpg And so it goes about every 15 min the fish swim through and we get a 2-3 hookups. Loses are kept to a minimum but only because the deckhands make the fish a priority. They let everybody know that if the fish is tangles up they will have to cut lines. They don't want to but the fish had priority and they will do the same for everybody who has a fish on. Thus casualties on people who can't stay in touch are high but we are putting fish on the boat. We get some good flashes and by the time all is said and done, we get over 50 on the boat.
    20180514_145705.jpg
    20180514_145329.jpg
    I got lucky enough to get 3 through the gauntlet and even got the lucky Jackpot Fish ! Gus and Jeremy got to work cleaning the fish and we had a nice ride home
    20180514_151656.jpg
    20180514_151809.jpg
    All fish were caught on squid no fin bait fish. 20-30lb flouro worked best with 1/2-1/8 oz. The fish made us work for them and the crowd was somewhat challenging at times but everyone who put in time at the rail and listened to the crew was rewarded :goldfish:

Cheers guys !

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Steveo77

Steveo77 Steveo77

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Grumpy
    Thanks for the report

3. jimu

jimu Member

Name:
    jim unger
    Boat:
    stike zone
    Great report. Thanks

4. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    :appl:Lol, combat fishing.

5. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    Fished alamitos bay this morning/afternoon and the swells were knocking boats around in they're slips. How was the weather out there? Glad you got jackpot!

6. ctmfish

ctmfish Member

Name:
    Cameron
    Boat:
    Wellcraft V20
    A little tight at the rails but your work paid off. Great report!

7. C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Good fishing dude, way to stay positive.
    50 is a lot for an early season monday

8. Tunachaser976

Tunachaser976 Newbie

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Striper 21
    Outstanding write up and report. The pictures are great. Sorry you had to do the combat fishing thing. Was the hookups south of Cat Harbor along the kelp line by any chance.

9. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Weather was fine. Mostly cloudy with a few spots of sun early. Later on it was mostly sunny off the island. Swell wasn't bad at all on the back side. Light winds about 5-10

10. jayyyy

jayyyy Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    50 on May weekday....well good for the Pursuit, they must have a great operation to have that kind of loyalty.

11. civicsurfer

civicsurfer Member

Name:
    Jo
    Boat:
    Ranger 216 Cuddy Cabin boat, Ranger 335V bass boat, Bass Hunter Bass Baby boat
    Thanks for the report. Did you get em on the west or east side. Front or back?

12. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Back

13. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Love the Pursuit and the crew, just hate that ridiculous crowd. First and only time I've ridden it we shoved off with 75. We ended with 300 rats though on pretty much one stop. I'd pin a bait then go up underneath the wheelhouse and wait for the guys casting jigs from the bow to the stern get hooked up. They'd sweep up half the side of the boat, at which point I'd lob my bait out and bounce my fish before they even got the tangle out. Rinse, repeat. Actually was the first day Gus became captain. When he saw me just standing at the rail with a bait not in the water he warmly yelled at me to change that. I had to look like an idiot when I told him I knew what I was doing. Can't wait to ride again when the crowd's gone, hopefully for one of those random " you guys wanna drive another 2hrs past Cat and try to get tuna" days like they had last year.

Paul Ward, fishsmith and bricktop27 like this.
  14. HoxFish

HoxFish Fam crest-My Lure is True

Name:
    Aaron
    Boat:
    Moo
    50?! My man. I commend you on your ability to reset, and lock in mentally and emotionally.

alex morataya likes this.
  15. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    great report.

16. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    Looks like a great day out on the water with 50 of your closest friends. Thank you for the report and photos. Better than sitting in my office!

17. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Patience paid off, congrats!

18. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report and decent grade YT.

Look at the bright side, the max load is 75. You were only 2/3 capacity...:eyepoppin

19. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Can you go over your tackle setups in more detail? :D

20. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve