Pursuit-Catalina 6/25

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by streetnfish, Jun 25, 2018.

1. streetnfish

streetnfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Hey guys,

Jumped on the Pursuit hoping to get "some tail". Saw that they had 24 reservations and figured we would get out with about 35. Got to the landing and found out that there were a couple of large groups there so we ended up with about 45. Not my ideal situation but oh well off we go. Plus we had 4 nice looking lady anglers with us so at least the scenery would be nice all day :p:
    Capt John was driving. Gus heading up the deck with Gary and Will helping him out. Ryan was in charge of the grub today. Boat came in loaded with one tank of 3-4" chovies and the other tank with 5-6" dines. Bait was pretty good quality and we were off. 20180625_063056.jpg
    Couple of hours later we arrived at the West end.
    20180625_083238.jpg
    Conditions were beautiful. Light breeze with minimal very minimal swell. Sun starting to peek out.
    20180625_113535.jpg
    20180625_114412.jpg
    Drove down the island a bit and then set up on the first spot. Gary tossed out the chum and soon calls of "BOILS" could be heard as the bass came up. Dropped anchor and out went the lines. Small bass started coming out immediately and soon after that the yellows started to bite. We got the first 5 fish hooked to the boat before Mr sea lion got in the mix and slowed things down:mad:.
    He didn't steal any fish but he definitely scattered them to the outside where they were still boiling around. With a few yellows aboard the intensity along the stern intensified and it became increasingly difficult to keep a bair in the water. It seemed like most of the people were fishing braid with short topshot but 2/3 of them were doing it badly. Some of the bass were coming up with fully knitted braid sweaters :shake:. I got lucky enough to get a swimmer out past the gauntlet and soon felt my bait speed up. Seconds later got the "thump" followed by even more speed. Put the reel in gear and I'm on. I was using 25lb flouro (10') attached to 65lb braid on my Lexa 400. The fish ran around the stern and up to the bow pretty quick and the crowd was nice enough to let me through. We had a few other fish hanging when I got bit so the crew was busy. fish wrapped around the anchor line for a sec and I got to put to practice working around the anchor like I see the deckhands do all the time. Got the fish of the anchor and up to the surface just in time for Will to come up the side and gaff my fish. Woo Hoo ! Pressures off.
    The dog was really slowing things down so we went to a few other spots during the day trying to lose him. We got bass and yellows at every spot but it was definitely a spotty bite. The fish would boil right next to the boat and you could see the free swimmers eating the chum. But for the amount of fish around, it was hard to get a bite. The guys fishing 20lb definitely got more bites but they also had losses due to the crowd and the kelp.
    For the last stop we pulled up tight to the kelp and got to fish bass through holes "Cedros Style"
    20180625_144226.jpg
    We ended up with 30 plus yellows and a few bass and bonito. I was lucky enough to catch 2 yt and 1 legal bass. Weather was a plus. I caught both my yellows on flylined dines on 30 and 25 flouro. I went to 20lb for a bit but went back up in size in time to catch my second fish. I threw both the surface iron and yo yo iron but no bites. On fact, there were no fish on the iron. All fin bait. The fish were from 4-12lbs. Lots of fish out there so go get them. 20180625_151139.jpg
    20180625_150923.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  2. yo-mama

yo-mama Member

Name:
    ja
    Boat:
    magic
  3. fishsmith

fishsmith Captain

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    21' Proline "MarLinz"
    3 more pics please!

WhyMe and Paulle37 like this.
  4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good job!

5. Second Row

Second Row You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
  6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    That works!

Another great photo of the island! Makes you want to be there.

7. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    Never been on this boat, but was told by buddies that you have to fish on your number?

8. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    You do get numbers as you sign up. However, when you are fishing sardines the understanding is that you will follow your bait. This is constantly reinforced by the crew. Again , you always have that guy with the corner spot that doesn't want to move or leaves his pole at the rail to save his spot. Funny how that pole on the rail always seems to get accidently kicked over as I'm following my bait :-)

GameTyme2 and CartridgeCalls like this.
  9. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls 100% Disabled Veteran Owned Business

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    So your the guy kicking my pole over. :D

GameTyme2 likes this.
  10. 4bruce

4bruce Member

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    goldfish
    we call it bs with out the pictures of other 3 nice looking ladies.

11. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    Yea was too busy fishing to get pics of them all. No hook and handoffs that day

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    So, you basically are supposed to go to your number each time you need to cast and can't do it somewhere else?

13. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    No, If there is an empty spot. Cast away. Like I said when you are fishing sardines. Numbers go out the window.

Haly0 likes this.
  14. Xue

Xue Member

Name:
    Xue
    Boat:
    None
    got it.

15. joker63

joker63 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    I wish
    Damn very nice and detailed report!!!
    But where's the pics of eye candy you mentioned ?? Haha

16. streetnfish

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Float tube
    One of these days my man...One of these days ;) Now I gotta get me one of those ghosts like you !

joker63 likes this.
  17. ARTURO

ARTURO Member

Name:
    Arturo
    Boat:
    22ft.Striper
    So there's no reason to wake up early
    To get in line and choose your spot at the back of the boat ?