Islands Pura Vida Halibut hunting

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat Name
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Pulled some cured deans and mackeral from my receivers and headed to south island to my deep water spot , left the slip at 5:45 am Saturday morning , a little lumpy early on but still cruzed 22 knots heading out ,got below south island and stopped in 98 feet of water , 56:8 degrees and really clean water , lots of bait and birds but the wind wasn`t mush so a slow drift , my son in law who just launched the sister ship of the pura vida fished off the tuna pens in 85 feet of water , my first drift we boated a 28 inch halibut which we tossed back and we only had a few bites after that but I did hang a nicer fish which came unbuttoned after 2 to 3 minutes (Heartbreak ) but thats how they get big , my son in law Edgar Castro found the fish and boated 4 up to 36 inches , they kept 3 fish and the calicos,sculpin , and sand bass were thick , I can`t belive the amount of bait in the water and how clear it is for this time of year , im thinking and hoping it`s going to be a epic island year , I thru my united composite monster jig stick 40 to 50 cast for nothing hoping for a yellow , anyone who was on the water yesterday knows how beautiful the ocean was except the wind completely died off , we fished till 3 pm and cruzed back at 30 knots on a flat ocean , planning on a overnight trip on the Jimmie C next week but it`s sure a blast fishing my center console , sorry no pics ,See You On The Water

Upvote 0