PUNTA BAJA NEAR EL ROSARIO

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Pancheke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    Has anyone fished this area ? my grandpa went there in the 60's 70's and 80's for lobster when he had his seafood restaurant back in the days, my uncles have gone a few times in the past 20 years and also fish off pangas, they came back last year with a bunch of bottom critters, big sculpin huge white fish and some enourmous bocacho,

my question is, is there anything else out there ? my uncles and cousins are a little on the not so talented in fishng and have never caught anything but bottom fish, I'll ask the panga guys whene I'm there if there are chances for some yellows , but just wanted to know ahead of time what I'm expecting, any info will help, we leave friday and will fish sat and sunday !!

GRACIAS !!!!!!!!!!!!

2. sandiegofisherm

sandiegofisherm Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    22 sea pro cc
    hey you back in chula ?

3. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    hey que pasa Tony ? como estas ? estoy en tijuana !!! for now, leaving for Campeche in a few weeks!!

4. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Chupa mi chalupa.

:D

5. bajadog

bajadog Running around knees bent

Name:
    Name
    Boat:
    Yours
    This island is about 11 miles South of Punta Baja.
    Google Maps

"San Geronimo Reef is known for its large, abundant calico bass, present year round. You can also find rockfish, lingcod and halibut year round. In summer you will find yellowtail and white sea bass, as well."

6. MORGS

MORGS Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Morgan
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I used to Love that place. Used to go a lot back in the day. Cousin built a house there and would fish all the time around the island or along the shore. For some Massive Sheepheads. biggest i have ever seen. the last i heard was the seiners came around and did some damage. This was a while ago so it may have changed. Has a great place to surf as well.

i have lots of good memories of that place.

7. bajadog

bajadog Running around knees bent

Name:
    Name
    Boat:
    Yours
    Yepper.:D

Back in the late '60s down there with my folks, guys would come
    by in the afternoon with a potato sack full of bugs and abs for
    $20.

Ahhh memories.

8. fattyflattie

fattyflattie Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    none
    The locals won't give you the time of day. hard to find your way to the point if you have never been there. Awesome bottom fish close and yellow at the island. Good luck.

9. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    que pasa Patron !! going out finally ,I get a chance to go fishing, I see you guys are going to SQ , you guys have fun and be safe !!! if it's an anual trip maby you'll invite me next year LOL

10. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    o.k its a go, talked to the old fols @ the fishing village and they expect us on friday, the ladys are geting the flour tortillas ready for the morning lobster con huevo.

11. Adam12

Adam12 Newbie

Name:
    Adam Jadovitz
    Boat:
    Kayak, big enough for now
    I haven't been there in more than 10 years but I have been there many times. We used to camp on top of the bluffs overlooking the beach. We used to catch huge surf perch from shore. Biggest I have ever seen. We would hire a local panga to take us out towards the island. We never caught any yellows but we did get a lot of rock fish. Great memories.........
    Back then there were a lot of people diving for sea urchins.

12. Red Drum

Red Drum Paradiddle-diddle

Name:
    Capt. Vinnie
    Boat:
    Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
    How is the drive from El Rosario to Punta Baja? What is the distance?
    How easy is it to launch a small aluminum boat. Is there a place to camp? Do you think it's a safe place to leave your camp unattended when you're out fishing? Any first hand input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

13. Pancheke

Pancheke CHILANGO HATER

Name:
    PANCHEKE
    Boat:
    QUE ?????
    we are returning on april 10th, drive from el rosario to punta baja is about 30 minutes, road is fair, some holes but nothing bad,there is a fishing village there, real nice peolpe, they launch their pangas on their made ramp on the beach, I'm sure if you ask they'll let you launch and camp around the village, your things will be o.k, or they have rooms they will let you stay in for what you want to take them, we ussually take them groceries like as sack of flour, a bag of beans from costco, some rice,cuponoodle soup boxes, coockies, what ever bro we pay for the fishing on thier pangas, and always give the man a nice tip.

14. pupuplatter

pupuplatter Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Inner Tube
    Friends have farms just north of there, the drug running is something to really thing about before beach camping in that area!

Coast Guard finds 5,000 pounds of marijuana in the ocean
    12:10 p.m. February 18, 2009

SAN DIEGO — A Coast Guard cutter recovered nearly 5,000 pounds of marijuana in the ocean about 160 miles south of San Diego, according to a spokeswoman.

Last Thursday, a Coast Guard vessel chased a possible smuggling boat in international waters. The boat then headed toward Mexican waters and dumped its cargo along the way, the spokeswoman said.

The Mexican navy intercepted the boat, found some drugs onboard and took several people into custody.

A Coast Guard cutter spent the next 96 hours recovering more than 100 bales of marijuana, which were turned over to federal authorities.

Notice: This improved Comments system is using new technology, so you'll need to sign up for a new Comments account with Disqus. Terms of Use

15. 4baja

4baja Newbie

Name:
    steve mcgill
    Boat:
    22, robalo, 4baja
    you cross one creek out of el rasario and then a washboard graded road out to the point. small community with a dirt road down to the beach. tuff to launch during a large swell and most of the time ive been there the water was a dirty brown. can be good surfing on the inside reefs and point. ive never had a problem parking there just lock everything like you would in the states. never had real good luck shore fishing but im sure outside rockfishing would be killer from what ive seen comeing in on the boats. goodluck.

16. Calico Bob 1010

Calico Bob 1010 Past President, LARRC

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    none
    I have some details that will be of help to you.