Pulling the Trigger on a Spring 5 day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by arenpilav41, Oct 19, 2015.

1. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Hey BD,
    A good friend of mine and I are pulling the trigger on a spring 5 day or 6 day trip on the Shogun for the end of May beggining of June 2016. The 5 day trip is labeled as a Cedros/Benitos special and the 6 day trip is just labeled as Izorline Sponsored. Has anyone ever been on one of these trips? I do have a few questions for those of you that have fished trips like this:

1) For the 5 day, would we only fish cedros/benitos for yellows, or does the boat go offshore too looking for early season tuna?
    2) How far down are cedros/benitos islands? If the boat leaves on a Saturday around noon, will we get there by the following morning?
    3) How would you compare the 5 day from a 6 day during this time of year? Would 1 day make a difference on how far down we can go and the variety that we can be exposed to?
    4) If you have fished one of these trips before, what advice could you give us? This will be my 1st trip longer than 4 days, my friends first trip over 2 days. We both know how to enjoy ourselves on the water, but we have never done the whole long range thing. What specific recommendations could you give to us, in terms of tackle, preparation, $$$, etc.
    5) Which one of these 2 trips do you recommend we get on?

Thanks Everybody,
    -Aren

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    todd alvarado likes this.
  2. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    6 days. :D

3. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have fished the Indy 6 day the first part of June for the past 4 or 5 years. Usually the Shogun is fishing the same area. The 6 day is the way to go. 5 days is just too short for a Cedros trip. Usually we fish off shore for the 50 to 70 lb blufin on the way down but now that you can't catch blufin in Mexico that might be off the table for next year. In most years we head to Cedros and Benitos which is about 30 hrs or so. If fishing is slow there you may go a little further south to Turtle Bay or San Pablo bay. Usually you catch all of the 20 to 25 pound yellowtail you want with yft mixed in. This year was very different from past years. Everything was dead except the ridge. We drove 50 hours straight to the ridge then had about 2 days of wide open fishing on 20 to 25 pound yellows and yft. The Indy trip sells out early every year but the Shogun is a very good boat and if there are open spots I would grab one.

4. todd alvarado

todd alvarado Newbie

Name:
    todd
    Boat:
    n/a
    im doing my first long range trip next year on the shogun also but im doing the 8 day penn trip right after the 6day. i was trying the figure the same thing as you with what trip i wanted. the feed back i got was longer is always better. if you go on the 6day we will be passing by each other. which ever you do im sure it will be a blast.

5. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    PS: what you will be fishing for and where you will be fishing tor them is a crap shoot to be predicting today. tuna and yellowtail would be a good bet. MAYBE triple digit BFT, too

6. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    These trips used to be a guaranteed yellowtail trip with a swing by to the outside for chances at prime time bluefin tuna fishing. As Mexico has decided to keep the bluefin for themselves it's still really pretty much the best time for yellowtail. On a normal year the warm water fish generally aren't around yet. Meaning wahoo, YFT, Mahi....but you never know.....also if the imaginary Albacore ever decides to show up this can be prime time.

Longer is always better....you never know what is going to happen and time gives you more options.

Be prepared for yellowtail fishing like few have ever witnessed. 40# rigs are your primary weapons....Yo Yo, Surface Iron, bait....be prepared for it all!

Good luck!

7. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I really hope they lift the ban...

8. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    if they plan on going to Cedro's start buying your Jig's now,
    you will go thru a few ,1/2 a dozen of each for starters

arenpilav41 likes this.
  9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Aren, please explain, which ban?

10. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    The Bluefin, of course. Lol

11. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    Aren pm me your number and I will tell you what I know about a few of them I have done and
    and what my friend did on his trip.

12. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    You have asked some very good questions. I agree if you can take a 6 day, do it. It does give you an extra day so more options. Cedros is about 300 miles from the point. Also since the Shogun is going to Guadalupe (about 220 miles) that gives you another option, however if you go to Guadalupe you have to go to Ensenada, which adds a day and a half of travel since you have to stop coming and going then check-in with US Customs.

I have always found early June to be a crap shoot, depending on the water conditions. The past few years are not the norm. This warm water has made it great fishing, except no Albacore. If the water says warm, next year should be great in June.

Mexico makes it's own rules. Who knows if they will lift the bluefin ban. It is possible that the bluefin will bite in US waters, so that's another option, if it happens.

I suggest you look at the old reports from the Independence or Red Rooster. Go back several years. They both have old reports on there web sites and it can give you a general idea.

As to buying jigs. I suggest you wait until the Fred Hall show in March. You can generally save a few bucks on tackle.

Any boat in the code group will get you on fish, since they are communicating with each other.

Wishing you the best of luck and enjoy LR fishing. Keep asking questions. We all learn something new every day.

13. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Fred Hall is definitely going to be pricey for me this year lol. And Thank you for the intel on Guadalupe.

14. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    hey Aren tackle days is Nov 7th you should go down their and sit in on
    a few Seminar's, plus their should be some good deals on Tackle.

15. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    1. That "saving money" by buying tackle has never worked for me. :)

16. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    it has work for me big time, like buy 2 get one free on jigs and Flouro

17. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    I wish I had the time to go... Senior year as an Engineering major, mid terms, assignments, and on top of all this, work part time... I barely have enough days to get my work done at home. Fred hall it is loll!

18. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Oh, yes, without a doubt you can dig up those deals. If Seaguar Threadlock is on your list, Turner's had some great deals last time I was there, too. There was a connection to Rollo Kids through another organization collecting tackle donations.

It's just that the savings hardly come close to the cost of parking, admission and refreshments.

On the road for a Long Range trip, trying to save 10 or 15 cents a gallon on gas can look pretty silly when you're spending $3-4-5,000.

Fred show is fun, Tackle Days sounds good, too.

19. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    it help when your on a Budget, more bang for your buck

20. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    The Dan Hernandez fishing tackle swap meet is this Saturday in Long Beach. You can often find better deals than anything you would find at the Fred Hall show plus there is no charge for parking or admission. Rods, reels, hooks, line, jigs, sinkers, you name it. It's in the parking lot of West Marine and starts around 7 am.