Almost A Member
Oct 9, 2018
Anaheim
Name
Justin
Boat
awifeinstead
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Olympia area and have been getting skunked on the Westport Jetty.

If anyone has any information to share on any shore fishing near Olympia, it would be much appreciated. I'm just looking for some bottom dwellers to fill the freezer.

Reactions: jiggermyster

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
I hear sculpin holds up real well if you can get it to seal without the spines puncturing the bag.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I don’t think you will catch much let alone fill a freezer from shore. Shoot, you can’t fill a freezer from a boat in the puget sound. Here is my advice... have fun fishing for stuff from shore... whidbey beaches will put out pink salmon in a few months. And then buy a seat on a six pack tuna charter this summer. Freezer will be filled with non wormy meat.

If you want table fare from shore, find a dock or access onto lake Washington and fish perch. I grew up on fried Great Lakes perch. It is really good IMO.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    Other than surf perch at the beaches, opportunities are very limited. You would be so much better off getting a little boat or a kayak. Anything to get you deeper water. Shore fishing is like trying to pick up chicks in a Chevy. It feels like you have a chance but everyone around knows you're just wasting your time,

Upvote 0

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    Other than surf perch at the beaches, opportunities are very limited. You would be so much better off getting a little boat or a kayak. Anything to get you deeper water. Shore fishing is like trying to pick up chicks in a Chevy. It feels like you have a chance but everyone around knows you're just wasting your time,
    Dude
    if you can’t pick up chicks in a Chevy I’ve got some news...It’s not the car!

Reactions: mrfish11
    Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    You should be able to catch some fish off the jetty. Do some research online and fish the right tides and you should find a few rockfish at least.

Reactions: Ballew.J
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    It's a pink year, and some forecasts are calling for a strong run. Not sure how many make it down to that area, but in MA11 (Redondo) they will be lining the shore in the morning. Try and find a "hotspot" down there, and you'll come away with some decent table fare if you bleed and ice them right away. They're a bit down on my list, but my father-in-law claims he'll take them over every other tye of salmon, and he used to fish Alaska, so to each their own...goodluck

Reactions: jiggermyster

JTC

Too Sirius
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Redmond Wa
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
    I apologize for not being more specific. I meant hot chicks love Chevy’s!😁

AAD451D7-960F-41EC-98A1-5DA491F33477.jpeg

Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
    University Place Washington
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
    Some decent fishing off the beaches for resident coho around the Narrows. Just be sure you are on public property. Returning adult coho in some of those same areas. Then there are the public fishing piers to include Point Defiance Marina. Also need to second having a small boat or kayak to fish near shore.

Reactions: Ballew.J
    Upvote 0