Puget Sound Chinook Harvest Management Plan-terrible for Washington State

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Fishinnut, Dec 13, 2017.

1. digits

digits Sportsman

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Voodoo Child
    Questions regarding above:

1. My understanding is pinnipeds are protected under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and some under the ESA. Would legislation need to be passed in order to remove pinnipeds?
    2. What is preventing hatcheries from producing larger Chinook?
    5. If NOAA says this plan is acceptable, what is preventing us from doing so? How would we pay for an increase in hatchery production?

Thanks for all your hard work, Ron!

2. Fishinnut

Fishinnut I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ron Garner
    Boat:
    32 Proline Express
    Unfortunately I came down pretty sick after our PSA meeting, I think at this time we should wait for Wednesdays explanation and allow our groups to make a game plan to more forward.

Click on this and listen to Pat Pattillo’s Podcast at theoutdoorline.com for added information. Between my two podcasts (Dec 9)and Pat Pattillos it should make it crystal clear what is going on. License sales should plummet putting the departmenrt in a tailspin. They seem to think that a few years down the road it will be OK. Tell them that by then our local fishing and boating companies will be bankrupt and fishing. All to save 9 or 10 fish that will not save the run under current habitat on the Stilly.
    http://www.theoutdoorline.com/podcasts/

CCA wentahead and got theirs out. I want to make sure we fully understand everything before we go forward and make sure that we do not get to an area that we can not undo it. Please give us a little time. IF you would like to wait I cant wait to hear what their modeling should produce under current situations. Why wasn’t modeling done before the agreement? 20/20 hindsight is no excuse.

In the mean time go ahead and contact the director and the commission with your concerns

[email protected], [email protected],

bigdood and WaveDancer like this.
  3. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    Everyone including Ron, THANK YOU for your efforts!

What is the bottom line here in a paragraph- Limits, Seasons etc? The Cliff note version..

EJ Swanny and jskfish like this.
  4. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thanks again Ron for all your hard work on this.

WD.

5. Floatflyer

Floatflyer Hope to Catch a Fish!

Name:
    Floatflyer
    Boat:
    24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
    Ron Garner, I asked for your recommendation BUT- - - -
    [​IMG]

Fishinnut and Chtucker like this.
  6. Jaksonbrown

Jaksonbrown Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Cory
    Boat:
    28' Kingfisher Weekender "The Wild Rose"
    Any updates on this Ron??

7. LJB

LJB Down Fur-Lined Avenue

Name:
    ain't no cunthead
    Boat:
    68 Bellboy
    If your still on the fence with the condo idea try digging into info there was I think three stages/phases,, and the build quality was pretty bad on one section or more..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    I mirror Howards comments....THANK YOU all.

Do we know what this really means?? Chinook season gone, limited season, limited quota, MA's effected, any ocean season at all??? Too early to tell???

9. digits

digits Sportsman

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Voodoo Child
  10. Woodfighter

Woodfighter Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Lund
    WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

http://wdfw.wa.gov/

January 10, 2018

Commission to receive briefing on proposed plan
    for Puget Sound chinook salmon

OLYMPIA – State fish managers will update the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission during a conference call Jan. 12 on a proposed management plan for harvesting Puget Sound chinook salmon.

The commission, a citizen panel appointed by the governor to set policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will convene the call at 2 p.m., Friday, Jan. 12.

The public can listen to the work session, but there will be no opportunity for public comment. To participate in the call, contact the Commission Office at 360-902-2267 or [email protected] by 4 p.m., Thursday, Jan. 11.

Any materials that will be discussed during the call will be available on the commission's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2018/01/agenda_jan1218.html.

WDFW staff will brief commissioners on the Puget Sound Chinook Harvest Management Plan, which was developed in conjunction with treaty tribal co-managers. The state and tribes submitted the plan on Dec. 1, 2017, to NOAA Fisheries, which is currently reviewing the proposed plan.

The plan defines management goals for state and tribal fisheries that have an impact on wild Puget Sound chinook salmon, which are listed for protection under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). Under that law, no fisheries affecting Puget Sound chinook can occur without a conservation plan approved by NOAA.

The federal agency has already provided some feedback on the plan, noting that several key salmon stocks would not meet NOAA's new, more restrictive conservation objectives. NOAA is seeking more information from the state and tribes on the conservation objectives within the proposed plan.

The plan is available on WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/fisheries/chinook/.

Additional discussion about the harvest management plan will take place during the commission's regularly scheduled meeting, Jan. 18-20, at WDFW's regional office in Ridgefield. A meeting agenda can be found on the commission's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings.html.

11. Chtucker

Chtucker Lowe boat denter

Name:
    Howard
    Boat:
    Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
    I have read about 1/2 of the plan and am going mind numb...
    So wth does all this boil down to for areas 7-11?

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    If it goes through unaltered I believe many fisheries will be severely restricted. My guess is the areas that open July 1st normally will be pushed back until closer to August. I can't really see an area 9 fishery happening at all with what I have been told about the stilly run timing. I think areas 10-13 will have similar seasons as last year. I hope I am wrong.

13. digits

digits Sportsman

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Voodoo Child
    Review this thread. It's explained best by Ron's posts, such as:

"So this plan the way we understand it, is going to put tighter restrictions on almost all of our saltwater salmon marine area fisheries. This means many of our salmon fisheries are going to close wherever these Stilly fish have been known to roam. San Juans would most likely lose the entire Summer fishery, 8-1 and 8-2 would probably not open at all. 9 could possibly get a very little summer fishing, closed winter. Area 11 would lose the winter fishery. Area 5 and 6 would probably be the same as the San Juans. This would impact areas 3 and 4 also. So all of the way to La Push! Only marine areas that might not possibly be impacted would be Area 13, 1 and 2. So Ilwaco, Westport, and Olympia, the very most southern sound, south of the Narrows Bridge."

FHisherman likes this.
  14. FHisherman

FHisherman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    I've heard 7 would also lose Winter Chinook. Basically Areas 5-9 total year round closure to salmon fishing.

15. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    How much do you think these closures will hurt your business Kevin??

16. FHisherman

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    Already has, brother. We can feel it. But think about the other businesses, jobs, ports, real estate, construction, restaurants, grocery stores, fuel, mechanics, loss of tax and license revenue...it's financially catastrophic and not just for the boat and tackle guys.

rickstah likes this.
  17. MA9

MA9 Member

Name:
    BW
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler
    Does this include fall Coho as well? Speaking for Area's 8-9-10 which are the backyard for so many anglers in greater seattle area...

18. FHisherman

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Parker
    Not sure, but it sounds like it from what I've read and heard.

19. Realdeal

Realdeal Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    25’ NR OS
    It’s hard to speculate but it’s my understanding that yes closures in 8 & 9 also. This is looking like it could end salmon fishing in Puget Sound.

Ryan

20. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    The WDFG is going to do what they want and all the gripping ain’t going to do a bit of good. I lived on Coulter creek for 40years. In I believe it was 1982 the state put a hatchery on it. The Coho wouldn’t use the fish ladder so we had a meeting with the fisheries and there answer was so what that there were a lot of other streams that had fish so not to worry about them.We took it upon ourselves to transport the fish over the ladder. A few years later while going across my bridge I noticed several 25 to 40 lb. kings laying in the shallows dead, now these fish were chrome bright so I cut them open and they were full of eggs and milk. The next day on my way home from work I stopped off at the Minter Creek hatchery and talked to the hatchery manager about what I descovered,his answer was that it was none of my business and that if I did it again he would have me arrested for molesting the fish.Im sorry but I got no trust in WDFG. Also it was our understanding that the hatchery was to be turned over to the sqaxin tribe but after finding out that the creek had a Parisite in it that wouldn’t allow rearing the smolts for any length of time they turned it down. Sorry I forgot to mention the year after we had the meeting with the fisheries , coho were put on the endangered list. WDFG has been and always will be fucked up.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018