Puertecitos / Gonzaga trip

Discussion in 'Baja Bytes By Gary Graham' started by Allen858, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Allen858

Allen858 Salty Member

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    Yak
    Considering a trip down to Puertecitos / Gonzaga. Was planning on fishing the kayak / pangas.

Anyone been down there in early Aug? If so, whats fishing like this time of year?

This will be my first time fishing the Cortez side of baja, any recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    samhigh likes this.
  2. denis

denis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    denis
    Boat:
    deadhead luees
    Get a hold of Daggets it’ll be a place to stay they have boats great captains and They could tell you exactly what’s going on wha the bring up the date

Allen858 likes this.
  3. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    There can be close to shore on the surface... Yellowtail, rosterfish, ladyfish, little tunny and corbina.

Allen858 likes this.
  4. rbulwa

rbulwa Newbie

Name:
    Bob Bulwa
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Montauk 17'
    The comment (above) suggesting Daggetts refers to a campground in Bahia de Los Angeles, not Gonzaga Bay, where there are two settlements, Papa Fernandez on the North and Alfonsinas on the South of the bays (Gonzaga and Willard). I have been there many years ago in August. It is hot, hot, but the fishing is good. At Papa's, you will be forced to camp over the hill in an area very susceptible to the wind storms that occasionally last three days in that area. Personally, I am driving further south in a couple of weeks, as far as Bahia de los Angeles, where I will be staying at Daggetts. I have a Boston Whaler which I trailer down and I am looking for a travel/fishing companion if you are interested.

Hippyscum and samhigh like this.
  5. Allen858

Allen858 Salty Member

Name:
    Allen
    Boat:
    Yak
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info. My buddy @samhigh just got back from a trip to Gonzaga recently where he did well close to shore. What do you normally target in Bay of LA this time of year?