Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
After a few trips on my boat looking for tuna 30-50 miles offshore, it was time for some good eating rockfish. Those three tuna trips started at 0300 at my mooring and lasted til 1500. Only had a few rat YT and a hand full of football sized YF to show for the effort and BIG expense.

So yesterday was to be an easy fun day on the water looking for a dinner of small rockfish for fish & chips. I picked up a lb of squid from the local Shelter Island arab market and got to the boat at 0700. Picked my buddy up from LA at the SI launch ramp and off we go. Not having much squid I'd cut the squid into 2" long, 1" wide isosceles triangles on two dropper loops with 2/0 owner flyliner hooks. The ocean was rough with a hugh double swell. Thank god I was not going 30+ miles AGAIN offshore but only to the SD Buoy area (Whistler) about 3 miles outside of SD Bay. Pickins for rockfish was slow at first. So we had to move all over the 100' shelf to try to find where they were hiding. With a strong drift I'd have to wind up and redrop often as not to have too much scope out. While winding in my rig at full speed (5:1), about 50 feet from the boat, I get slammed. I'm fishing with an early 80s Newell 229F with 25lb test. The fish rips off about 100 yards of line in a flash. I'm thinking what can this be, a seal lion which are cruising this area, wsb, shark, bsb, etc.. But after 10 minutes into the fight most of those would have tired or surfaced so I'm betting on a YT. Please Mr. Sea Lion at least let me see what I've been fighting hard for the last 20 minutes before you take it away.

Finally a YT longer than I've ever seen in person in my long life cruises just underneath the boat. I get my novice friend to try to gaff it to no avail. He almost gaffed the line while missing the fish. On the next pass in one motion I hand him the pole, I grab the gaff and over the rail this giant YT comes. I was shocked. My best YT to date after many years of fishing was only 15-20 lbs. This one measured 41" at the forked tail and 32 lbs on the spring scale. I was tired but it felt a lot heavier than that cuz it was all I could do to hold it up for a picture. My buddy has the picture in his I Phone so I'll post it when I get it from him. Also I'll take a pic in a few hours when I start processing the YT for the smoker and YT party on sunday. I had to cut it into 3- pieces to fit in the cooler. I kept the head for display.

I ended up with a 26" lingcod, 4 lb sheephead, 2-3 lb chuckleheads and reds and an assortment of smaller rockfish. On the way in by the last green bouy we hit a giant school of bonito boiling over a football size field. We both played with the small bonito for awhile trolling anchovy colored rapalas. We kept 3, one going about 4 lbs most were only a lb.

Back at the mooring a 1130 and in time for an afternoon nap for this ole retired guy. Who says you got to go to the end of the earth to catch fish.

HH

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Sometimes the shorter you run the longer the fun! Most of my biggest fish have come within 3 miles of the beach. Good job

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I see sashimi,ceviche,fish tacos and a bonita....cool.:)

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    Winner!

Upvote 0

devodave

keeping the kid hooked up
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Name
    "Old School"
    Boat
    Really old but solid 25' SeaRay Flybridge
    That's a fatty. I too have spent WAY too much money on fuel relative to the number of fish caught over the last couple of months. I always KNEW the large YT are inside near the kelp, and have hooked them before. Problem is they run straight into the kelp. That is why they kayakers at LJ have such good luck landing them. They can paddle out away from the kelp when the hook up.

Upvote 0

Smthtnnr

Sep 11, 2012
    Long beach, CA US
    Name
    Tanner Smith
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    That's a fatty. I too have spent WAY too much money on fuel relative to the number of fish caught over the last couple of months. I always KNEW the large YT are inside near the kelp, and have hooked them before. Problem is they run straight into the kelp. That is why they kayakers at LJ have such good luck landing them. They can paddle out away from the kelp when the hook up.
    Kayaker speaking here... you can just drive the boat to get an angle on the fish.. letting the spectra do its job

Reactions: tanner.s
    Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    You absolutely killed it!!!! Nice!!! I like you have spent a fortune on fuel. The month of August was disgusting!!!! But great eating tuna. But I m hungry for some deep fried reds n chips. Soooo good. I love rock cod. We ate some cow cod on my last LR trip as you can't bring back. My buddy caught a 17# one was excellent !!!

Upvote 0