Pt. Loma 8-21-11

steverino

Aug 2, 2008
San Diego CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Sea Pro 206
Fished Pt. Loma today with my brother. We hit the channel out past the point hoping for some halibut and I had a shot at a big one. I had it hanging for 1 1/2 mins. and managed to get it half way up til the line popped. We never saw it, but it sure fought like a butt-a couple head shakes followed by a steady gliding pull then repeat every 10-15 seconds. It felt really big and I can't stop thinking about it. A close inspection of the 30lb mono showed a clean cut above the hook-most likely by some sharp teeth.
Besides the big one that got away, we caught lots of calicos(at least 30-mostly legals), a bunch of rockfish, a couple of sandbass and endless mackerel. You couldn't reel in or drop down a line with out getting bit by a mack. There was a TON of bait out there as well. Birds were working all day long and there were boils around the boat(mostly mackerel) the whole time. The bait looked like anchovies but some of the fish had smaller sardines in their stomachs as well. We picked up a small 1/2 scoop or chovie/sardine mix but the best baits by far were Gulp 5" jerk shads and 4' swimming mullets on jigheads. The conditions were overcast, small swell, light breeze, and 65 degree clean bluish/green water. It was a fun day with lots of action.

Attachments

prater

Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
Was out there right next to you in the Luhrs-power drifted by you at slack tide near Ballast Point. Nearly same story for us: Endless macks and lizards, and lost an estimated 10-12# butt right at boat due to lousy knot. Looked at the curly cue knot end and nearly cried, as it was my 11 year old son on the rod, and I was the one tying the knots. Ouch! Anyways, what a beautiful day.

barracho

Easy man, I have a beverage here!
May 14, 2011
S. OC
Name
Joe
Boat
Learned my lesson. Wanna take me fishing?
How did that herculese c-130 sound as it past over you? That thing looks like its flyin pretty low. Good job on the plastics.

steverino

Aug 2, 2008
San Diego CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Sea Pro 206
How did that herculese c-130 sound as it past over you? That thing looks like its flyin pretty low. Good job on the plastics.
That thing was low and loud. Pretty cool to watch come in for a landing. Here's another pic of it going by.
Pt. Loma 8-21-11 016.JPG
Was out there right next to you in the Luhrs-power drifted by you at slack tide near Ballast Point. Nearly same story for us: Endless macks and lizards, and lost an estimated 10-12# butt right at boat due to lousy knot. Looked at the curly cue knot end and nearly cried, as it was my 11 year old son on the rod, and I was the one tying the knots. Ouch! Anyways, what a beautiful day.
I feel your pain. Hurts to lose a nice one.