wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
Just gotta say something, as seems like anglers are kind of out of control on this. Granted, we are chasing finicky BFT on these 1.5-3.5 day trips, and sometimes, it feels like you need to throw everything at them , including the kitchen sink, to get a bite.
Well, even then, it's still tough to get a bite.
Thing is, we truly don't need to bring all that stuff. I saw a guy leaving on a day and a half trip posting on social media, bringing 10 rods, 12 reels, 3 tackle boxes (yes, 3 tackle boxes!!!!)
My last 2.5 day trip, a pair of guys brought a milk crate rocket launcher, had 6 heavy outfits in it, each with a different color knife jig, and they didn't get a single bite. However, my non-glow blue/chrome Salas 6x got it's share of bites.
I just went and measured, my tackle box is a Okuma tackle bag, measures 14"L X9" D X6" H! I take this little bag on trips from 1/2 day to 5 days, never feel undergunned. On 5 day trips I can't get my belt and tool holster in it, as I need a few extra things if we are going to Lupe!
On this last 2.5 day, one other savvy angler I've fished with before had a small tackle box, but the other 25 guys had huge tackle boxes like you might need on a fall 8-10 day trip. Nomad rolling boxes with rod tubes, nowhere to tie them down, and because they insist on putting rods in the tubes, like really dude, how many times does it have to tip over while we roll around before you buy a clue from Vanna White? :D
You know, if we weren't having the possibility of catching really big ones, I could get by with 3 rods! But, since there is always that opportunity, I have to bump it up to 5 rods.
See, thing is, these boats were not set up for 30 anglers to bring 30 SKB or other large tackle boxes. Pare it down, think it through about what you really need. I can walk down to the boat with my entire outfitting without having to use a cart! I don't need my rods in the first few rod slots of the rack, and I catch plenty of fish. I go about 3/4 of the way to the bow, leaving the last 1/4 of rod slots for the long rod guys.
It has just gotten ridiculous on how much gear is brought on these trips.
Chuck Robinson used to do these charters, and you could only bring as much tackle as you could fit in a 12 oz beer can. My fishing buddy Dick used to bring 2 yoyo jigs in his right jacket pocket, and 5 hooks in a ziplock in his left jacket pocket!
I'm not trying to bolster sales for Okuma, as on the Amazon page I tried to snag a picture of my tackle bag, there were numerous choices from several different manufacturers.
The point is, let's pare it down, make it easier on all of us. Less is more my mom always said.

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Agree… but I am not hip on 3 letter acronyms David. At least those I do not know. I used to bring a micro box for albacore. You can try any jig you want, you only can fish one rod. There really is an overblown over thinking that one proven jig will work over another that you have in your box. I narrow down my pick by asking the crew what is hot and pretty much work that all night. Bet you could save a ton of fishing time and money and just ask the crew to pick a jig from their boat stock.

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    I Can’t make it down to the boat without a cart now because of the additional bag of bedding. Nice respectful PSA!

I’ll be glad when that silly rule goes away. More than 50% of my backpack is bedding, and I went to REI ( Sorry BillW, that’s what it is named :D ), and got the smallest bedding and pillow I could get.

Upvote 0

threewaves

Yellowtail
  • Feb 1, 2014
    Nor Cal - Bay Area
    www.facebook.com
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    BFG - Pursuit 2870
    PSA - Public Service Announcement... Thanks David. I agree.

Even on my own boat, I limit it to 3 set ups per person when we have 3 or more guys going, otherwise it's chaos. Over the years I have determined that while it is nice to have a quiver of 8-10+ rods on long range trips, I have determined that I could actually do a 10-15 day trip with 2 set ups in all reality. I now bring 5-7 and that seems like a lot. However for these shorter BFT trips where realistically you will be fishing 1 heavy - FF, knife jibs & live bait and 1 medium rod - coltsniper, live bait and YT/BFT iron, you don't need much more. Change your top shot based on the bite and you're all good.

I still see guys bringing 18-25+ setups on the 10+ day trips and all they do is spend time setting up and changing outfits. I guess that is their gig.. to each his own...

Reactions: locvetter

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Totally agree.

I only fish 1.5 day trips and have to chuckle when I see all these 40 pound rolling tackle boxes show up.

30, 40, 60, and 100 pound rigs. A single 3600 box of proven killers. An assortment of circle hooks, 3 torpedo sinkers and a few 30-yard spools of fluoro and I'm good.

The bedding thing is certainly a pain in the ass, but I don't think that's ever going away at this point. Not on short trips anyway.

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    One day I’ll be an old man who can get by with a small wooden tackle box and a few sticks. Until then I bring an Arsenal and still leave plenty at home. Heck for a 3/4 day I’m bringing at the least 5 or 6 setups and would prefer more. A 15lb, 20lb, 25lb, bass rig, jig stick, rockfish rig, add in bluefin gear so a 40lb, 60lb and 80lb. But I do hate rods in rolling bags, put em on the rack!

Upvote 0
    Mar 18, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Royal Polaris
    David - Highly skilled anglers like yourself can get away with 5 rods and duffle bag of terminal tackle. Your knowledge, instinct and experience guides you on what to bring and what not to bring. Novice and intermediate anglers need and seek advice from their local tackle shops and rely on information they gather on boards like this.

As we all know, each BFT trip is different and each successful angler has a different story to tell. Hence creating the "need" for those who are about to go fishing. I need to buy this lure, I need to buy that lure, I need this hook or that hook. You get my drift. The highly experienced anglers can easily pare it down without question. The new anglers don't know where to start due to the lack of experience, hence why they buy and bring everything on their trip. As the old saying goes...."You're a long way from the tackle shop when you're out there fishing". Gotta run....getting ready to board for my o'nite trip! ...........hahahaha

1627673093057.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
    Apr 27, 2003
    US/Mexico
    Name
    Choate
    Boat
    Islander
    Wahoodad help us out, what 5 rig would you take for BFT on a 3 day trip?
    I promise I will, try and include some pics. Just a few more chores to finish up , then I'll post up how I've whittled mine down. Not saying my way or the highway, but if we could all strive to bring just a little less it would be an improvement.

Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    I’ve whittled mine down throughout the years. Just use a small SKB on the deck for up to 7 days. And change out the plastic boxes as fishing changes throughout the trip.

Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    One day I’ll be an old man who can get by with a small wooden tackle box and a few sticks. Until then I bring an Arsenal and still leave plenty at home. Heck for a 3/4 day I’m bringing at the least 5 or 6 setups and would prefer more. A 15lb, 20lb, 25lb, bass rig, jig stick, rockfish rig, add in bluefin gear so a 40lb, 60lb and 80lb. But I do hate rods in rolling bags, put em on the rack!
    Way way back before I became an old man, I started bringing along a one gallon Ziploc bag to quarantine my used salty tackle away from my unused tackle on a trip. After a while it became pretty obvious that if I just bought the stuff in the bag, plus a few spares, I could leave the rest of that stuff at home.

Us old guys just can't carry that much stuff down the dock anymore.

Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None
    I've been fishing trips up to 5 days with an Albackore 3 tray tackle bag for almost 20 years and that could /should be pared down as I haven't used some of the stuff in there for ages. As for set ups lately, it's usually 25, 30(2), 50, 80, 100. People like to buy stuff and show it off, that's human nature. I do see lots of folks who spend much of their time fiddling, retying, respooling and otherwise playing with their gear rather than fishing. Just an observation. It's not me and I'm just out there trying to have some fun, catch fish and meet some new people. Bottom line in my book - be nice and have a blast.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

Almost A Member
    Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    Having to fly in to your trips teaches one about what and what not to bring, My up coming 16 day, I'm shipping 7 rods all in one tube with the longest being 7 feet. one SKB tackle box, the big one and it's heavy! I get two 70 lb bags on the flight and a carry on, in the carry on will be a 50 30 20 16 12 trq25-15 and whatever clothes that will fit and the other bag checked will be a duffle, {clothes- leader flouro etc.} and I do wonder about these people with the 8-9 foot rods, do they know that the longer the rod the more advantage you give the fish in wearing your ass out. I have seen a school of thought on 5 foot rods for cows

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Just gotta say something, as seems like anglers are kind of out of control on this. Granted, we are chasing finicky BFT on these 1.5-3.5 day trips, and sometimes, it feels like you need to throw everything at them , including the kitchen sink, to get a bite.
    Well, even then, it's still tough to get a bite.
    Thing is, we truly don't need to bring all that stuff. I saw a guy leaving on a day and a half trip posting on social media, bringing 10 rods, 12 reels, 3 tackle boxes (yes, 3 tackle boxes!!!!)
    My last 2.5 day trip, a pair of guys brought a milk crate rocket launcher, had 6 heavy outfits in it, each with a different color knife jig, and they didn't get a single bite. However, my non-glow blue/chrome Salas 6x got it's share of bites.
    I just went and measured, my tackle box is a Okuma tackle bag, measures 14"L X9" D X6" H! I take this little bag on trips from 1/2 day to 5 days, never feel undergunned. On 5 day trips I can't get my belt and tool holster in it, as I need a few extra things if we are going to Lupe!
    On this last 2.5 day, one other savvy angler I've fished with before had a small tackle box, but the other 25 guys had huge tackle boxes like you might need on a fall 8-10 day trip. Nomad rolling boxes with rod tubes, nowhere to tie them down, and because they insist on putting rods in the tubes, like really dude, how many times does it have to tip over while we roll around before you buy a clue from Vanna White? :D
    You know, if we weren't having the possibility of catching really big ones, I could get by with 3 rods! But, since there is always that opportunity, I have to bump it up to 5 rods.
    See, thing is, these boats were not set up for 30 anglers to bring 30 SKB or other large tackle boxes. Pare it down, think it through about what you really need. I can walk down to the boat with my entire outfitting without having to use a cart! I don't need my rods in the first few rod slots of the rack, and I catch plenty of fish. I go about 3/4 of the way to the bow, leaving the last 1/4 of rod slots for the long rod guys.
    It has just gotten ridiculous on how much gear is brought on these trips.
    Chuck Robinson used to do these charters, and you could only bring as much tackle as you could fit in a 12 oz beer can. My fishing buddy Dick used to bring 2 yoyo jigs in his right jacket pocket, and 5 hooks in a ziplock in his left jacket pocket!
    I'm not trying to bolster sales for Okuma, as on the Amazon page I tried to snag a picture of my tackle bag, there were numerous choices from several different manufacturers.
    The point is, let's pare it down, make it easier on all of us. Less is more my mom always said.
    200.gif

a7ewizard

Almost A Member
    Jun 4, 2009
    SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
    Name
    WARREN WEISENBURG
    Boat
    251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
    I'm getting my gear together for a 1.5 day on the Condor. Leaving next Wed.
    I'm following their reports. All YT and some Dorado. Easy packing for that. 3 rods and 4 reels. 2 Plano trays. All my tackle can fit in my backpack.
    Suppose I show for the trip and the Captain says hot BFT bite at SCI and you need 80 and 100 gear? And I left it at home thinking he is going to target YT like he has for the last 2 weeks.
    No wonder guys bring too much gear!

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    It would be physically impossible for me to give less of a fuck what other people bring or don’t bring on the trip they paid for.

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I can not imagine paying full price for a 3-5 day trip that is targeting bluefin and taking only one 100# outfit, which is suggested here according to some.

Imagine fishing for BF at night, deep dropping 50-60 fathoms, getting in a tangle, and losing half your spool of Spectra. What to you do then? No back up, and the crew are too busy to help. I guess you could retie, in the dark, and get back into the game.

If you are a "regular" on the boat and know the captain and crew, you could probably borrow one of their outfits. Also, if you a regular, you will know exactly what they are biting on and will know exactly what to bring , but not all passenger have that privilege

And what if the BF fishery shuts down, and the boat goes to Plan B and heads for another fishery?

Things happen. Be prepared. Take what you are comfortable with. Minimum might be your style, but it isn't mine.

Just my opinion. Not a PSA

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    You make a valid point and have seen the excess number of rods, tackle bags and boxes strewn across the decks of the boats this year. GUILTY AS CHARGED ! However, in my defense, my last 5 or 6 trips this year have been completely unpredictable. I normally fly solo and bring only what I can carry but this year has been a challenge. I've LIMITED myself to seven rods and ten reels. In all but one trip I have used and caught fish on every single rod. On the most recent trip we only caught yellowtail and dorado but on all previous trips the fish have varied from cow sized tuna to trout sized yellowtail. In addition to the set ups I have also bought extra gear and rigging materials which have come in handy. I've used my crimping bag to make numerous leaders for people I've met on these trips, extra hooks, swivels, floro leaders, weights and even jigs. What I've also seen is that while most people do bring tons of gear they are woefully unprepared in most cases and I actually enjoy not only catching fish but also seeing those that in most cases only do one or two trips a year catch as well. I'll try to be mindful and leave some stuff behind on the next trip. LOL

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Man I don`t miss those day`s of the tackle whores on sport boat`s im very happy to own my own boat `s and able to store what I need for 2 to 3 day trip`s , buying fishing gear is a a addiction we are all guilty of and love taking it on trips to show it off or that just in case moment

Upvote 0