Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider Rob

Sep 20, 2014
Name
Rob Staniforth
Boat
None
Well now,.....Just returned from a 1-1/2 Day Trip on the Prowler Sportfishingout of Fisherman's Landing, and the Trip was Dismal at Best.The Fish Count has no impact on this Post. 1-1/2 Days of riding on the Ocean watching 20 Something Year Old Deck hands act like Elementary School Children, with bad attitudes, and NO CLUE on how to act like Sportfishing Professionals. 30 People on board @ $340 Ea, and everyone was pissed off at these kids. Examples: 1/2 the Time no one in the Crows Nest looking for Kelp Paddies, when they were, they were Asleep, as evidenced when one Deckhand climbed up there and waved his hand in front of the crewmans face, with no reaction. Then proceeded to drop a live Sardine down the back of his shirt to the Laughter of his fellow Deckhands. It was like they didnt care about the Money the Customers spent on this trip. I thought the Captain, with his reputation, would have taught his crew better. Disrespect and Attitudes were what greeted the Fishermen on this trip. These Deck Hands spent most of their time Blocking the entry to the Galley, making the customers squeeze between them every time they wanted a coke or something to eat.Complaints were voiced by all, to the Staff at Fishermans Landing upon our return. Yes, the Fishing was tough, but that would have been offset by even the slightest effort by the Crew to attempt to do their job. Having worked several years in the Sportfishing and 6 Pack Fleet, I have watched Numerous Deck Hands work their way up to respectable, Honorable Captains of their own vessels. The Crew today should have realized that they not only represent their Boat and it's Owner, but the Landing it operates out of as well, and in tough times at the end of an Epic Season, the actions exhibited will only result in lack of paying customers, as well as loss of revenue to the Boat, It's Crew, and ultimately, the Landing itself. Absolutely the WORST trip Ive spent money on in 40+ years of fishing the Southern California Offshore Scene. We even ended the day pulling away from a Double Jig Strike on YFT, without the deckhands throwing any chum to try to bring the school up, and Dumped 1- 1/2 tanks of fresh 'Dines into the Pacific after dark. I do not hold Fishermans Landing responsible for the actions of this Crew, but will never fish the Prowler again. Thought you ran a better operation Buzz Brizendine

— feeling disgusted!!! If you were on this Trip, Feel free to Comment.

Upvote 0

Raider Rob

Sep 20, 2014
Name
Rob Staniforth
Boat
None
Upvote 0

Delta Mike

You like soup?
Feb 18, 2013
Cleveland/Steubenville/Yuma
www.semperfidelis.com
Name
Darren
Boat
"I wish"
popcorn_2.gif

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
The Fish Count has no impact on this Post.

Not Done Yet :
H&M Landing - Sea Adventure 80 1-1/2 Day Run = Limits ( 60 ) Dorado
4 Overnight Boats = Limits for Each on the Dorado.
Point Loma Sportfishing - Grande Sportfishing Overnight = Limits ( 60 ) Dorado
Fisherman's Landing Condor Overnight = 34 Dorado
Pacific Queen Sportfishing 1-1/2 Day Run = Limits ( 70 ) Dorado
and Lastly .............. The Prowler Sportfishing 1-1/2 Day = 30 Anglers ( Pissed Off ), 3-4 inept so-called Deckhands, 11 Dorado - 2 YFT - 1 YT......WTF?????

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
If it went down the way you say,that is total bullshit,,I don't care how many times a crew has been out or how tired they are I would call that landing and demand refund.I don't understand this attitude that deckhands can get away with what they want,and many guys on this forum stand up for bad attitudes,like I say if it went down like that then fuck that boat and captain.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Asleep in the crows nest.Anywhere else you get caught sleeping on the job you get fired.If the capt was soley dependent on this crew member to find that paddy,well then there ya go,the fish count speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
Your not pissed off over the fish count but you post the other counts? So you obviously are pissed off over the count. I would be to if what you described was true. It's ok to be pissed off over the whole situation. Buzz is a very knowledgable captain. Sounds like his crew is not deserving of their spot or the capt they fish with. They are definitely not appreciative of the customers if this is all true. It's amazing that you never hear things like this from the vagabond, pacific voyager, apollo, and pride.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Your not pissed off over the fish count but you post the other counts? So you obviously are pissed off over the count. I would be to if what you described was true. It's ok to be pissed off over the whole situation. Buzz is a very knowledgable captain. Sounds like his crew is not deserving of their spot or the capt they fish with. They are definitely not appreciative of the customers if this is all true. It's amazing that you never hear things like this from the vagabond, pacific voyager, apollo, and pride.
or Condor, or Grande, or New-Lo-Ann, or Sea Adventure 80....

Upvote 0

El pescator

Almost A Member
Sep 14, 2013
Point Loma
Name
Ed
Boat
20' Customized Aquasport
Was Buzz running the trip or Trevor?

If Buzz was running it I find it hard to believe these kids were getting away with this. Buzz is usually very attentive to his help and their professionalism. I've fished the boat many times over the years and always have enjoyed it. I do have to say that I've only done 2 trips this season on the Prowler. The first one we didn't make it out of the bay because we were taking on water and had to turn back. Buzz and crew were all very apologetic and empathetic. They got the boat back on the water in less than a week and I jumped on for another go. As usual it was a great experience and I was very pleased. Fish counts weren't that great but the crew was on it and very respectful. It's terrible to hear of this and I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience. It has been a long season but I do agree with the fact that they should still work hard for every trip, customer and fish. A reputation is a the most powerful tool a business has and when it's tarnished, it's even harder to clean up.....

Upvote 0

theraiders

Aug 13, 2013
Chino
Name
mario
Boat
none
I was also on the prowler, you couldn't have nailed it on the head word for word any better. I felt sick to my stomach all day thinking about the money I paid to go on this trip and the money my buddy paid to go. It was his first time and last time because of the experience he had on this trip. Also raider rob did you forget that buzz had us reel in our trolling lures an hour before sun down? Never will go on this boat again.

Upvote 0

natebal

Mar 13, 2006
san diego
Name
nate
Boat
cobra f'n'd
Defineitley amateurs. Down the shirt? Any experienced deckhand knows that the sardine goes in the sleepers boot before everyone yells hookup. Works best when they are passed out in the galley though. Your right though, they should have maintained mopey sulky grimaces, nobody likes to se a happy fun loving crew making the best of a slow trip and trying to raise morale though comedy. The nerve of those rascals

Upvote 0

Raider Rob

Sep 20, 2014
Name
Rob Staniforth
Boat
None
Just to validate myself, I've Known Tunabelly for 20+ years, although we haven't stayed in touch over the years, he knows me, and I know about his affliction for the 'Ho 'Ho's....... Been on many BD Charters back in the Day when this Site was created. Old Avatar / Name was Salty Dog,out of Newport, and as Tunabelly will vouch, I was the first Salty Dog.

I have never "Reported" on a boat or it's Crew on any Web Site, Ever !! But due to the Reputation of the Prowler, and Buzz, I found this experience TOTALLY UN-EXPLAINABLE ! I have fished on 90% of the Sportfishing Fleet from S.D. to L.A. , with many Runs on the R.P. ; Shogun ; Searcher, ( BD & Iron Man Charters in the Day ) ;Excel ; and Others. and, just to be Clear, the add of the counts in my 2nd post was just to show that the Fish were there if they wanted or worked for them.

Last example : it's about 5pm, been on the Troll for 2-3 Hours without a Kelp or Stop, 1 Rig goes off..... Deckhands think its just a Skippy as the angler is cranking it up, so we keep moving moving... Nope, Small "Football" YFT.....no sooner than that feather goes back in, BANG, it's hit by another Football and boat stops....... Lines go in, but NO CHUM IS THROWN......WTF???? we still had a tank and a half left !!!! with just our bait in the water and no takers, lines are pulled and we move on. About 1/4 mile from that spot we see another boat that was trailing us stop in the same general area, and STAY PUT for over an hour as we motored north and lost sight of them....... I could not understand it....Was it too much to ask to pull the chute on 1 tank to see if we could at least get them going ????

Yes, many passengers voiced their concerns to the Staff at Fishermans Landing, and some were not as diplomatic about it as I was. My POINT here is just this...... at the end of the season, when the loads are Light, and not alot of people are signing up, you really get to see what these crews are made of, and whether or not they have the Paying Customers best interest at heart, or are they just along for an easy paycheck, ( which is Stupid thinking because anyone with half a Brain know they make most of their money from Tips and Fish Cleaning ). No Fish = No Fish Cleaning = Less Money.

All I know is I wont be going on this particular boat again, and I honestly hope that these actions were just a "Fluke" due to the long season or what ever. I honestly would'nt want anyone to drop that kind of Cash and have the same experience.

Rob " Salty Dog" Staniforth

Reactions: Donkey Nick
Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
Raider Rob, TheRaiders sorry to hear about your trip. Doesn't sound like the efforts from the prowler were a "commitment to excellence". What was the response from the landing? Better luck next time.

Upvote 0

Raider Rob

Sep 20, 2014
Name
Rob Staniforth
Boat
None
Actually, now that I think about it, the BD Charters with Tunabelly were on the Pacific Voyager, The Iron Man Charters were on the Searcher with Dick " Capt Potatoes Head" Uranga ( SP )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.