NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
I just returned from a 1.5 day and wanted to send some good vibes to the captain (Jim) and crew. They ran with only 4 of us which was a treat. Needless to say everyone was super comfortable. It was my first time on the boat and I thought it rode and fished very well. Boat was in great shape. The weather stayed nice and the wind was manageable throughout. We started the troll at grey light and stopped on a few paddies. The first fish (yellowtail) came over the rail at almost 9am. We continued the hunt and threw bait on a few marks, but couldn't find hungry fish. Finally at 2pm we found a school (yft) that wanted to chew. Easy limits for all of us (wide open). It was an aquarium (most fish between 10-15lbs, largest pushing 20), with every bait bit within a second of hitting the water. I tried a flat fall and did manage 1, but they were definitely keyed in on small sardines. They also ate 50 lb string which helped us limit in about 45 minutes. They called another boat in and we motored on to allow us to catch our breath and clean up the carnage. That was some fun stuff. We continued north and looked for dorado, stopped on a couple paddies and saw 1 or 2 lit up, but couldn't get them to bite. We hunted until sunset with nothing happening but not for lack of effort. We maybe saw 7 nice sized paddies (some with birds) but only 2 produced. My guess is many had probably been fished already. No troll fish all day. Easy ride home with a great nights sleep.

In addition to the good fishing the food was outstanding. The cook knows what he is doing. Yummy breakfast burrito on wake up. Lunch was a green salad with yellowfin. A little time later we ate incredible sashimi and poke bowls. I can't say enough how good poke and hot rice tasted. To top off our snacks we had delicious tuna melt sandwiches. Nobody ate a hamburger and we were so full nobody ate dinner. I'm sure the light load helped our meal situation, but this was the best I've eaten on anything less than 3 days.

All in all, a trip for the memory books which included my good friend on his 1st tuna.

The crew was fantastic and handled the slaughter well. They smiled all the time and helped anyone with tangles , reties, etc.

Thanks again prowler. You run a top notch operation.

Last edited:

Erawk

Get bent!
Dec 25, 2011
United States
Name
Eric
Boat
21' Sea Ray
I saw that count and wished I'd been on that boat. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for posting.

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
Were there echos in the bunk room?

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
Prowler is a very good boat for the ON and 1.5 trips. Had a trip earlier this summer, very impressed with how well taken care of she is and how great the crew is.

clemente_killa

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
I was on the New lo-an, thanks for the bait hook-up! We had a pretty good trip as well. I definitely put my limit of yft on the boat.

Bradyxxx

Sep 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
Braden
Boat
Catchalot
Info, Is "Jim" a relief Captain? Doesn't "Buss " still run that boat?

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Info, Is "Jim" a relief Captain? Doesn't "Buss " still run that boat?
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe what I heard was that yes buzz still runs the boat. Apparently jim has been working the boat for close to 30 years.

He might be relief ( there was a second captain, young guy, as well), but he was definetly fishy. Did a great job tracking and baiting the schools, communicated often, and kept the crew on point and in the tower at all times.

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
I was on the New lo-an, thanks for the bait hook-up! We had a pretty good trip as well. I definitely put my limit of yft on the boat.
Was that day 2 of your trip? It was pretty cool to watch the exchange. Glad you did well.

clemente_killa

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
Was that day 2 of your trip? It was pretty cool to watch the exchange. Glad you did well.
Yep that was day two. Day one was pretty slow. I think we scratched out ~30 fish or so. Luckily we found some better schools on day two.

Apr 1, 2015
Redondo Beach
Name
Steamin' Seaman
Boat
Ramrod
I just returned from a 1.5 day and wanted to send some good vibes to the captain (Jim) and crew. They ran with only 4 of us which was a treat. Needless to say everyone was super comfortable. It was my first time on the boat and I thought it rode and fished very well. Boat was in great shape. The weather stayed nice and the wind was manageable throughout. We started the troll at grey light and stopped on a few paddies. The first fish (yellowtail) came over the rail at almost 9am. We continued the hunt and threw bait on a few marks, but couldn't find hungry fish. Finally at 2pm we found a school (yft) that wanted to chew. Easy limits for all of us (wide open). It was an aquarium (most fish between 10-15lbs, largest pushing 20), with every bait bit within a second of hitting the water. I tried a flat fall and did manage 1, but they were definitely keyed in on small sardines. They also ate 50 lb string which helped us limit in about 45 minutes. They called another boat in and we motored on to allow us to catch our breath and clean up the carnage. That was some fun stuff. We continued north and looked for dorado, stopped on a couple paddies and saw 1 or 2 lit up, but couldn't get them to bite. We hunted until sunset with nothing happening but not for lack of effort. We maybe saw 7 nice sized paddies (some with birds) but only 2 produced. My guess is many had probably been fished already. No troll fish all day. Easy ride home with a great nights sleep.

In addition to the good fishing the food was outstanding. The cook knows what he is doing. Yummy breakfast burrito on wake up. Lunch was a green salad with yellowfin. A little time later we ate incredible sashimi and poke bowls. I can't say enough how good poke and hot rice tasted. To top off our snacks we had delicious tuna melt sandwiches. Nobody ate a hamburger and we were so full nobody ate dinner. I'm sure the light load helped our meal situation, but this was the best I've eaten on anything less than 3 days.

All in all, a trip for the memory books which included my good friend on his 1st tuna.

The crew was fantastic and handled the slaughter well. They smiled all the time and helped anyone with tangles , reties, etc.

Thanks again prowler. You run a top notch operation.

How in the hell do you tangle with only 4 guys?

GarytheCPA

Jun 13, 2011
Costa Mesa/California/USA
Name
Gary Craig
Boat
36 BHM
Yes, Buzz still runs the Prowler, and tends to run a very tight operation. Among just being a very experiences and fishy captain, on each trip I have been on, I have seen him come down from the wheel house, and respectfully correct crew issues. Great boat. Peeing at night is always an adventure!