Proven Assist Hooks for bluefin jigging

Dexter Outdoors

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
A owner stinger treble hook ringed straight to the jig or split ring not hanging from thread. 4x ST 66.

Don't kite flyers real/fake use that as a stinger. Come on dudes

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
A owner stinger treble hook ringed straight to the jig or split ring not hanging from thread. 4x ST 66.

Don't kite flyers real/fake use that as a stinger. Come on dudes
Heard grumbling from a captain about trebles when we were on a bite of small yellowtail. Too often messed up the fish that were released. For BF, I can totally see it, though. I think you have suggested trebles for wahoo bombs. So, 2/0 be a good size for that application? Haven't ever seen anyone release a wahoo! Any other thoughts about pros and cons of treble hooks?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Peanut fishing for sure stop. C&R ethical fishing or keep a few throw the rest back. Single hook jig for small yellows on kelps and maybe pinch the barb down. Good thing to bring up because most YT irons come with a treble

True, A treble hook in a firecracker can and will destroy their mouth/jaw

Yoyo yellows over hard bottom. Give them the treble. Better grade

Wahoo give them the owner stinger treble 4x

Reactions: nicodemus
Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Peanut fishing for sure stop. C&R ethical fishing or keep a few throw the rest back. Single hook jig for small yellows on kelps and maybe pinch the barb down. Good thing to bring up because most YT irons come with a treble

True, A treble hook in a firecracker can and will destroy their mouth/jaw

Yoyo yellows over hard bottom. Give them the treble. Better grade

Wahoo give them the owner stinger treble 4x
Are referring using treble hooks on jigs or bombs, or both?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
For wahoo irons, treble for how I personally wind and fish. Why make it harder? Barracuda a single fixed hook so they may be released, without destroying the jaw.

Bomb. Never used a treble, I moved away just after using them for wahoo iron. I would treble a wired bomb with long mylar. Why not?

I used these mini bombs at Alijos 2 years ago. Only got 2 bites but got both fish on green and then pink titty. The jig is small so the wahoo gets the hook

1602395_a9a36226427c3ea0dbe5c740aa519f37 (1).jpg

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
What are some stock assist hooks that will hold up to bluefin tuna other than Owner Monster Dancing Stinger? Is 1 hook enough or go with 2?

What about bridal setups with large circle hook? I seen posts about it, but haven't seen any landing pics with it.

Anyone with homemade setups that worked as well and willing to share?

I was thinking of using 550# kevlar to larger Owner Gorilla hooks or Mustad 6x Kaijus. Double the kevlar, tie an overhead knot on the hook, heat shrink a clean tube over the tag, and loop to loop to ring or ball bearing swivel. It's cheaper me to make something like that and I enjoy it, but need some thought input.
The bridle setup will allow you to use lighter line, get better hook to land ratios, and probably more bites as the lure action isn’t impeded by a trailing hook. Other ways work too, but the hook to land ratio is like 80-90% with bridle and a large circle hook. Only fish I lost I was sawed off by another.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Get the big Mustads with the braided line and mylar skirts.

Before we got on out 10 day last year, Capt Mike on the Vagabond made everyone go up to the tackle shop to get those hooks for the big flatfalls and had them rigged with 200 lb flouro. We filled up the front fish hold and never lost a fish to pulled hooks or chew offs before we took off down south to catch our wahoo. It was pretty impressive to not have 1 failure during that epic bite. Fish ranged from 125 to 340 lbs.
Did you put the hooks on the top or bottom?

Upvote 0