Proven Assist Hooks for bluefin jigging

Dexter Outdoors

Brian Tsai

Dec 8, 2014
Name
Brian Tsai
Boat
in the future
What are some stock assist hooks that will hold up to bluefin tuna other than Owner Monster Dancing Stinger? Is 1 hook enough or go with 2?

What about bridal setups with large circle hook? I seen posts about it, but haven't seen any landing pics with it.

Anyone with homemade setups that worked as well and willing to share?

I was thinking of using 550# kevlar to larger Owner Gorilla hooks or Mustad 6x Kaijus. Double the kevlar, tie an overhead knot on the hook, heat shrink a clean tube over the tag, and loop to loop to ring or ball bearing swivel. It's cheaper me to make something like that and I enjoy it, but need some thought input.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
Jan 7, 2019
Cypress, Ca
Name
James Taylor
Boat
Sportboats
Following this thread. Haven’t caught nothing on these yet but they are very strong and wide gap. I’ve rigged them all different ways
9AB07EFF-86E0-4139-B678-62BB15DB9C02.jpeg
908022EA-08B3-4F10-9A61-C9F6E05FB7BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Brian Tsai
Brian Tsai
Another suggestion: twist a second loop on your loop to loop connection. That way if one cord was heavily compromised then you still have somewhat of a connection left. It saved me during a thick cuda bite while blackfin tuna jigging(ran double hooks- 1 hook git bit off, other had just enough connection strength to land fish).
Upvote 0
James Taylor
James Taylor
@Brian Tsai
Just did that to all my jigs. I was wondering how to do that. Thanks for the tip.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Rivergil

Apr 20, 2011
Mammoth, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever I can afford
We bought 2 boxes of Gamakatsu HD 10/0 & 11/0.. 20 hooks Read a lot of good articles about them....each hook has 4) 220# cords, hook strength and size etc
At retail of about $10 each they better work..
I have a trip leaving in a week...
Will definitely let you know

View attachment 1284962

View attachment 1284963
Those look barbless???
Edit: I see the barbs in the packages but are they micro barbs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishdude and pukahd
Upvote 0

Rivergil

Apr 20, 2011
Mammoth, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever I can afford
Just a lousy picture
Here's a blowup

View attachment 1285010
There it is!
I was doing some rigging recently and was reminded how not all barbs are created equally but nor are the parts of a fish's mouth. Some of the best hook ups I've seen are where the assist hooks are spread apart and the line attachment falls between those spots...pulling on the line just digs those hooks in deeper toward each other. Even with slack, those hooks are working against each other...tug o war, so to speak.

All of that to say that those lip hooked fish will work that hook hole pretty darn good until the barb has no purchase...tension is our friend.

Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    There it is!
    I was doing some rigging recently and was reminded how not all barbs are created equally but nor are the parts of a fish's mouth. Some of the best hook ups I've seen are where the assist hooks are spread apart and the line attachment falls between those spots...pulling on the line just digs those hooks in deeper toward each other. Even with slack, those hooks are working against each other...tug o war, so to speak.

All of that to say that those lip hooked fish will work that hook hole pretty darn good until the barb has no purchase...tension is our friend.
    It's all a gamble
    Last trip my buddy was fighting a 200+ bft kite fish....on the 2nd run the fight completely changed. When he finally got the fish to gaff we were amazed. Main hook from flyer had come out...he landed the fish with the large treble stinger embedded in the fishes face below the eye...it's a crap shoot always...just trying to increase the odds in my favor. LOL

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Last year was my first time fishing flat fall type lures for bluefin. So I paid an arm and a leg to have the Fisherman's Landing Tackle store rig me up with heavy leader and large, strong hooks. It paid off with a 107 and a 168 bf. Below is the fish, the lure with one of its 2 hooks literally stuck in its eye socket (kinda hard to tell). I think they are at least 9/0 hooks. Not sure if the fish was initially hooked in the mouth, or somehow just got it in the eye.

Bloody.jpeg

Bloody hooks (1).jpg

Brian Tsai
    Brian Tsai
    Can't speak for bluefin, but my second largest blackfin tuna was hooked in the eye as well with double assist hooks on the top part of the jig. It made the fight very interesting, especially from a kayak with spinning gear.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Mustad long line circle hooks. Ringed some

Screenshot_20210531_233004.jpg

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    We bought 2 boxes of Gamakatsu HD 10/0 & 11/0.. 20 hooks Read a lot of good articles about them....each hook has 4) 220# cords, hook strength and size etc

View attachment 1284962

View attachment 1284963
    Good eye. He must be into catching and releasing, Or fishing for Salmon up North.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp

View attachment 1284963
    From the way it is rigged it looks like the leader will be tied to the split ring. In which case would respectfully suggest that an effort is made to tie the leader to the split ring at a double wire section so that the force of the jig is 180 deg. opposite against a double wire section of the split ring. Testing has shown that when force is applied to that single wire about 30 to 50% of the labled strength is lost.
    My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    My leader is attached to a figure 8 ring
    250lb split ring attaches assist hook to figure 8
    Worked great last season

20210301_110454.jpg

Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Worked great last season

View attachment 1285368
    The big advantage to making your own assist hooks is that the Figure 8 ring can be incorporated thus taking the split ring out of the line of pulling force. That way the top assist hook is always hooked to your leader and all you do is change out the jig. .See pic below. But it's your choice of course.
    50C8D599-21D9-499C-9B59-A750A5FA330A.jpeg

bladee
    bladee
    it adds nothing to the dialogue, but... yo, that knot looks sketchy.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Blind Luck

• Feb 14, 2015
    Temecula
    Name
    Mike Grieco
    Boat
    MALAKAS
    The big advantage to making your own assist hooks is that the Figure 8 ring can be incorporated thus taking the split ring out of the line of pulling force. That way the top assist hook is always hooked to your leader and all you do is change out the jig. .See pic below. But it's your choice of course.
    View attachment 1285473
    You're leaving out my lack of talent making my own assist hooks. LOL I like your setup...what hook are you using

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Worked great last season

View attachment 1285368
    Suggestion - When using a long crimp like the one here use 3 compressions.

So - if this is a G crimp crimp the first connection closest to the hook or swivel.

Then crimp the tag end.

Next - turn the crimp over 180 degrees and crimp in the middle. It will eliminate the bending of the crimp.

Your connection becomes stronger with the added contact of the additional swage.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    You're leaving out my lack of talent making my own assist hooks. LOL I like your setup...what hook are you using
    Hooks: Many different choices available here, depending on targets.
    Hunting YT and Tuna have chosen TK 30 HD 7/0 Tro-Kar or the
    Gamakatsu Heavy Duty Live Bait 7/0 # 00417.
    Other high quality hooks available ,,,your choice.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    Last October I watched a guy land 3 fish all on the same flatfall. Two were over 200lbs and one was over 300lbs. The jig was a Nomad buffalo around 300g. It was glow in the dark with red stripes on the front and the back was solid red. The stinger hooks were big Mustads, around 10/0 or maybe bigger. They were almost identical to the hooks in post #10. The gentleman was nice enough to give me a couple of the hooks and I plan to use them on a trip next friday.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Get the big Mustads with the braided line and mylar skirts.

Before we got on out 10 day last year, Capt Mike on the Vagabond made everyone go up to the tackle shop to get those hooks for the big flatfalls and had them rigged with 200 lb flouro. We filled up the front fish hold and never lost a fish to pulled hooks or chew offs before we took off down south to catch our wahoo. It was pretty impressive to not have 1 failure during that epic bite. Fish ranged from 125 to 340 lbs.

Upvote 0

Chango3

Jul 18, 2020
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Colten
    Boat
    Surfboard
    Owner monsters, considering adding another hook on the bottom but this adds the split rings into the equation. I always heard to never use split rings because they are likely to open up on big fish. Is this a true concern or is Charkbait just adamant about this?

65FE4A53-B496-4A09-BE3E-5B2D0100894C.jpeg

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    Worked great last season

View attachment 1285368
    ^^^THIS is the way to go, in my opinion. ^^^ I catch over @ 100 tuna per year, the "Figure 8" is the best option out there.

Reactions: Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    Blind Luck
    Pitbull Tackle..package of 10 400# figure 8 rings are $3.99 ...best price I found
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0