Protect a reel from salt spray - makes sense or not?

Fishboss

• Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek
    Boat Name
    Friends
    So I just got a Mak 20 SEa in silver. What a beauty, what a freespool...It will be used pretty exclusively on LR trips, 2-3 times/year. Would it make sense to put some kinda sleeve on it to protect from spray and rash while the boat is running? I know, silly thoughts, but the reel is so sweet...or these sleeves don't really matter, the salt will find its way anyway and the sleeve won't make a lick of difference in terms of its effects/maintenance?

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Brother.... a personal test would tellnyou everything. Cover one.... and not the other.... for a season or two. After your done.... you review. Scratched up totally soaked "exposed" version....or one that still looks and feels new?
    Manufacturers don't include reel covers.... because they like to give away free stuff now do they? Cover it!

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Belvedere
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    I don't get people who spend thousands of dollars on deep sea rods and reels then thrash them and say its battle scars. I keep all my gear wrapped up when transporting and nothing goes in a rocket launcher until it's imminent its going to be used.......I dont need to look cool as I thrash my reels with saltwater. If I used long range boat I would take similar care. My fishing gear is up to 30 years old and looks 9.9 to brand new.

Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
    Bay Area
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
    Braid was a legit take company back in the day but, so far as I know, Dennis closed up shop. Regardless, I don't believe they were known for their reel covers, and I wasn't able to find any via Google. Hard to argue with going to the OEM for a reel cover. Squidco has the best deals I've seen on aftermarket covers but you will not get one that is a custom fit for your reel.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat Name
    none
    Problem with any brand neoprene reel cover is it soaks up water like a sponge. It stays we and if you are on a multi day trips. It is like a wet sponge. The Braid covers are a water repellant nylon type msterial.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat Name
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Ken Corwin has imparted a couple of gems of wisdom.

He always keeps a cover on his reels when they are in the racks out on a trip.

When you get home and rinse your reels, if something moves, move it for a few days. Turn the handle, move the drag lever back and forth freespool to strike, in freespool turn the preset a couple times, shift from high to low and back again.

Upvote 0
    Jan 13, 2018
    Littleton, Co
    Name
    Kirby
    Boat Name
    Ranger Z521
    If you do cover your reels, make sure you take the covers off for storage. If left on, even one day will promote corrosion and water impregnating drags and bearings. Humidity changes in storage will definitely compromise parts if left covered. After fishing, a good rinse, a vigorous shaking, and air drying will help get rid of salt, but not completely. The best thing, of course, is to tear them down, lube, and reassemble them (service once a year). Covers absolutely help during boat travel and washdown to keep excess salt out.

Upvote 0

gb58

Almost A Member
    Nov 10, 2006
    vista,ca
    Name
    greg braun
    Boat Name
    none

When you get home and rinse your reels, if something moves, move it for a few days. Turn the handle, move the drag lever back and forth freespool to strike, in freespool turn the preset a couple times, shift from high to low and back again.
    i heard him say that on a radio show too

Reactions: Steve K

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    REEL SHIELDS were the best covers made for protecting your reels ....in the day. 1000 denier Cordura with urethane coating inside made them.perfect for travel... and storage. Their hard to find.... but 10's of thousands were sold all the way into 2010. Not available anymore.

Reactions: thelahunginjeet
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Brother.... a personal test would tellnyou everything. Cover one.... and not the other.... for a season or two. After your done.... you review. Scratched up totally soaked "exposed" version....or one that still looks and feels new?
    Manufacturers don't include reel covers.... because they like to give away free stuff now do they? Cover it!
    on Muli day trips I just keep the Drag on the reels , but not super tight ,
    and I just keep A water bottle in the Tackle rack , and just give them all A shot in
    the morning, and wipe down the reels and grip,
    because I want my Spectra to be able to breath ,
    while out there ,

Reactions: cozenone and Shon
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler

Yep, I follow Kens words of wisdom to the tee. I rinse mine with a spray bottle a couple times a day if they’ve been used and keep a cover on them when they aren’t being used. Good rinse with fresh water and wipe down on the way home and then a good cleaning and wipe down with corrosion X when I get home

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat Name
    Leo's
    It's a good idea to cover your reels to protect from the elements and "deck rash" and all the other stuff. I like the neoprene ones that Phenix sells (it may be their best product, lol). But the neoprene will definitely lock in moisture, so there's that to deal with. One spot that no cover can fix for me is from my wedding band of all things. Took me a second to realize that I was scratching up the left side plate of my reels with it.
    In any case, no matter what we do to keep saltwater out, it's going to get in, so having the right amount of protection using Alan Tani's method of a light grease coating on all the internal surfaces will really help keep the working parts corrosion free--along with doing what was already mentioned with rinses, moving parts, etc.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ChicoBob
    Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat Name
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Reel covers that get soaked by saltwater or put on a reel that’s been exposed to saltwater is always a bad thing. I’ve seen guys use electrical tape to protect against dings and scratches but wet reel covers will hasten the effects of salt water. Learned that lesson

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    Are there any reel covers currently being sold that aren’t the fabric and we could use while in the rack? I’m looking at phenix ones right now

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    reel covers are great for scratches but couldn’t be worse for saltwater. When the reel cover gets wet all the saltwater and humidity is trapped inside the cover on the reel.
    Yep they need to breathe when there wet,
    Or the Spectra might get stinky.

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    I use reel covers in transit, but normally they are off during the trip until the ride home, I rinse with fresh water before putting them in, on longer trips, I bring a spray bottle and rinse them off every so often.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y and TOTW
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Check out the classifieds, there are some old school ones for internationals on right now, def a good deal!

Upvote 0