Pros and Cons > Spring or Fall 8 day

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by bsumoba, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bsumoba

bsumoba Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    So what are the pros and cons to a spring 8 day (early july) vs a fall 8 day (early october)....

2. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet
    Hard to call july a spring trip, definitely more like summer. The advantage of fall is that it really is as good as it is going to get for waters in that range (Alijos Rocks to The Ridge and Thetis Bank).

If it's a cold water year then july can be off for the warmest water species (tuna and sometimes wahoo), but something will fill in as needed (ie yellows and such at Guadalupe or Cedros).

It's rarely a question of catching as much as what kind of catching you do.

If you have a choice go fall. a july trip is what you do when you can't go in the fall, imo.

3. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Fall has better weather (warmer and less wind) with a shot at wahoo on the Ridge.

4. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    As mentioned July isn't really a Spring trip. A real Spring trip is late May and early June. The costs of those trips make them very attractive as they are the best value of the season. That being said the reason they are cheaper is because of the risks. The Tuna may not have arrived yet. Weather can suck balls....Yellowtail is almost a gaurantee. In the fall you have better weather and a chance at all the species Baja has to offer. July Vs. Fall......I would agree....you go only go in July cause you couldn't get the time off.....or in my case....couldn't wait for Fall to arrive.

5. Cheeks

Cheeks Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    Spring less time to dream

6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    IMO I would always opt for the Fall trip if you have a choice.....better weather...warmer water.....better weather....oh did I mention better weather....lol

7. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Have done an earlier 8 day for the past ten or so years. Fishing the July 8 day on Intrepid this year. Never fished a July 8 day and am looking forward to it.

As far as the weather goes, it is always a roll of the dice. It can be good or bad either season. Some of the best weather I've seen has been on earlier trips and I've had my ass professionally kicked in the Fall. ;) And one year's trip is not a guarantee of the same reults the next year. Just ask Dave about the Sport Chalet 8 day on the Angler.

The pricing on the early trips, like the ones on the Angler, can be especially attractive. Best to pick some dates that work for you and book the trip. If you fish the July trip this year, you're certainly young enough to pick something different for next year. Fall 8 day trips that look good to me would be the Penn 8 day on the Angler or the Seaguar/Catchy/Hayabusa trip on the Rooster, both in early October.

8. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    When I think of 8 day trips, I immediately put Alijos in the equation. And, last year, in the fall, Alijos was completely unfishable due to the swarms of brown sharks.
    Fishing's like a box of chocolates......

9. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    But those brownies sure can pull on 40#:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. J.AkuHed

J.AkuHed I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Your boat!
    Spring forward, Fall back. . .

11. bsumoba

bsumoba Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    i can't wait!.... looks like the july trip for me. its either 3 months or 7 months. plus, I am hoping the current projections shows la nina neutralizing, thus maybe a push of warm water after may time frame.

anyone here anything about this?

12. riverrunner1984

riverrunner1984 Newbie

Name:
    Brian Weathers
    Boat:
    Suavemente
    I was looking at the 8day on the Shogun in early June.
    After reading this post, I think I am going to look into a trip around sept/oct. Thanks for the input guys!

13. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    The nice thing about a June 8 day, the price is usually less money. It's a gamble, but can be stellar.

14. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    I've done quite a few June or July 8 day trips. Most years(all but last year) I've filled my tuna tags. Some years it's been wide open schoolie yellowfins at the rocks. Some years tougher fishing but nicer fish at the rocks. Another year was unbelievable fishing for larger bluefins. Usually(again not last year) you have easy albacore fishing. You can pretty much expect good yellowtail fishing- surface iron was king last year.

The weather can be iffy, but I've also seen water skiable conditions at Alijos and offshore. Grease calm at Alijos watching tuna destroying flyers is pretty awesome.

15. hot tuna

hot tuna Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    clawfoot tub
    Spring 8 day Pros;
    Price
    Chance at Albies, Bluefin
    YT fishing a slam dunk
    Long fishing Days

Cons;
    Weather can be up
    Too cold for YFT to bite well(recently)
    No Guadalupe option
    Early for Hoos( a few can be caught)
    Just what I have encountered on a late June early July 8 over the last 6 years. Let's hope LaNena goes neutral.

16. bsumoba

bsumoba Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    So I just booked the 8-day RRIII July 7th-15th Beefer XIII trip. I did have the opportunity for the 8-day Hightower, but the itch needs to be scratched. let's cross fingers the warm water pushes, the weather is good, and the fish are biting.

anyone on this trip?

17. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    That's the trip I'd go on. I've done it a couple of times and wish I did it last year.

18. Baja Dreamer

Baja Dreamer Push the button Max!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    None
    There was one particular spring 8 day, (An actual spring trip in March, not a summer trip in July! ;) ), where we didn't even try Alijos because of conditions. It was in a cold water year like this one, and the water was cold, green, and dirty everywhere we went. The fishing absolutely sucked rocks too. I never went that early again unless it was a 3 day freezer filler for rockfish.

19. gillkiller888

gillkiller888 Newbie

Boat:
    S.S. I wish i had a better boat

Yes i have. The climate center at UCSD is projecting that the la nina will neutralize by late april. With any luck we may have yft within 2 day range before late august.

20. Steinlager

Steinlager Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Kayak, buddy's sniff, long range
    Last year's SST anomaly for this week in March:
    [​IMG]

This year's SST anomaly for this week:
    [​IMG]

Still below average of southern Baja, but a big improvement over last year...