dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
Aug 12, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
SteveO
Boat
American Angler
I had myself a free day on Sunday, my wife was out with friends and my daughter was busy with school stuff so I figured I'd hop aboard a 3/4-day boat and see if I could get a local YFT. Reports from the previous day said there were plenty of opportunities but inexperienced anglers and wrong equipment netted only a single YFT.

I'm thinking to myself, hmmm... still plenty of room on the boat, I've got the gear and the know-how, plus we'll be back at 4pm in plenty of time for our dinner plans with the in-laws. So I booked my spot on the Native Sun out of 22nd Street Landing and figured it would be a nice leisurely day out on the water. The plan was to try to nab some yellowtail at Catalina first, then go searching for tuna in the afternoon. It's been about 10+ years since I've been on a 3/4-dayer, so I had low expectations going out. If I got a yellowtail, great. If I managed to land a YFT, fantastic.

Got to the landing at 6:15am and immediately noticed that plenty of other anglers had the exact, same thing in mind. Quick check on everybody's gear and everyone was prepared and ready for battle. A couple of rental sticks but otherwise this group was ready to do some damage. Boarded and got underway at exactly 7am. Boat was already baited up and we headed straight out of the harbor and off to Catalina.

Got to the backside around 10:30am and starting our chum line to bring the yellows up. Got a couple of boils and tried to set-up amongst the conga-line of private boaters. No takers, no bites, but plenty of traffic. Repositioned a few times, got the chum line going, saw some boils, then nada. We chased down a couple of foamers in the area but they sank down before we could do anything.

Captain decided to start searching for tuna. 12:30pm... Chased down some pretty big foamers but every time we got there, we were a couple of minutes too late. Even the private boaters weren't getting bit. I'm thinking to myself... welp, at least it's a beautiful day. It's 2:00pm and past the time we need to be heading back. Oh well, I can still make it home in time for dinner. Torrance is 15-minutes from San Pedro, I didn't get dirty, not too much cleaning to do on my gear, it should be fine...

Captain spots a huge school of porpoise and decides to get in front of them and try our luck. Not seeing any tuna boiling but you know what they say... We slide up on the incoming porpoise and everyone gets their bait in the water. We're all bunched up on the stern and lines are starting to drift over one another. Guys start pulling out and rebaiting. I find myself in relatively open water by myself with a healthy sardine doing all of the work. Pick-up! Line starts peeling off and I give it a good 5-second run before engaging. Fresh one! Another dude to my left hooks up as well and the fight is on. A nice pair of 20-lbs YFT come to gaff within 5-10 minutes. No other pick-ups on this stop. Avet MXJ 6/4, custom Yo's Calstar 800ML, 50# spectra, 25# clear Izor mono topshot, 25# Seaguar blue fluoro, #2 circle hook, (didn't have time to pick-up any #4 hooks), lively medium sardine.

Now this is where it gets crazy... Instead of saying, "Okay guys, we saw fish but they weren't too interested in biting today so wind up your gear and let's head home," Captain says, "Call your wives, we're staying out all night if we have to." We proceed to chase down the school of porpoise again and we get our baits in the water again. Less promising this time as we see the school swimming farther and farther away. I get picked up again but this time it's erratic. Peels off line then slows down. I engage and tighten up the loose line in the water and finally feel the fish. It's a fat skippie. We land two striped imposters and the chase begins anew.

3:30pm and I text my wife, "I don't think I'm going to be home in time." Message doesn't go through so I keep resending every few minutes thinking to myself, "she's either going to be really worried or pissed." Chase down the school again and it's getting late in the day. Everyone is jacked now and the deckies are getting baits into the water too. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! It's total chaos as the bite goes wide open. Tangles are causing havoc as anglers run up the rail. Over-under-over-under... PICK-UP for me again! Momentary brain freeze as I react too quickly and plunk-off my fish. Dammit, gotta pay attention. Get another bait into the water and immediately get hung up on someone's line, except there's a fish on the end of his line. "Cut me off!" I yell and the deckie successfully gets me outta harms way. 5-6 anglers are continuously bit and the decks are crimson red in glory.

Not wanting to waste any time retying, I grab my 40# and a big 'dine to test my luck. Meanwhile bedlam is happening all around me while I soak my bait. No more bites or pick-ups for me... I contemplate retying my 25# but ultimately decide, naw, we'll be heading home soon... 2-3 fish are constantly going and "Fresh one!" sounds off as the whole boat joins in the chorus. Sun's going down now and the school is sticking with the boat. We're up to around 25 YFT now. All decent grade, +20-lbs plus some real beauties. Bait is running low, we're down to one tank and scrounging for swimmers. Find a nice 'dine and cast off into the sunset. After a long soak, I hear, "Fresh one!" The dude to my right is bit and he's going for a ride up to the bow. Nice fish, better grade perhaps... I hear the distinct metallic screaming of mono coming off of his reel and think to myself, I hope he has some spectra under there...

YES! I get picked-up and this fish is hauling ass! I'm on 40# so I let him take plenty of line before softly engaging. The line starts peeling off my reel and I lift my rod as I scream, "Freshie!" Much better grade fish and I can feel the massive head shakes. My line is out at the horizon so I know I'm in for a long battle. Thinking to myself, "I'm glad I left my fighting belt at home..." as the rod butt digs into my spleen. 3 fish end up at the bow and both of the guys next to me are still on 25#. They're getting their asses beat as I work my fish in. Finally get to my mono and know the end is near, except no one told the tuna. Peels off a long run and drags me back to the stern. Feeling pretty confident in my 40# gear, I push my drag up a hair and begin to gain line again. Back up on the bow, there's already been one casualty. Finally, I gain ground and reach my mono topshot again. Tuna is doing the circle dance and I drop into low gear while wishing for my rail rod. The deckie gaffs my 65-70# BFT and I let out a sigh of relief. I'm done... Avet JX 6/3, custom Yo's Calstar 800M, 80# spectra, 40# clear Izor mono topshot, 40# Seaguar gold fluoro, #1 circle hook, large sardine. And jackpot.

We continue to fish for another hour or so. Rental rod dude is hooked up on his spinning gear, some kid is having the fight of his life, a flatfall fish hooked up in the dark and there are smiles all around. The crew is over-the-top enthusiastic and jacked. Finished the 3/4-day trip with 30 YFT, 5 BFT and 2 skippies. Got back to the harbor at 10:15pm. I never thought a local 3/4-day boat can get into a tuna bite like it did but the Native Sun proved that and then some. Kudos to the crew, captain and all of the anglers. No assholes makes for a fun day. They're running trips all week, so call in sick and get on the water. Backside of Catalina is where it's at. Sorry, didn't remember to take any photos. Maybe others on this awesome trip can post them here. Thanks for reading and sorry for being so long-winded. Fish-on! Steve-O

IMG_0748.jpeg

p.s. I'm on the far right pointing at my BFT on the deck. Too tired to pick it up...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
EPIC!!!

Reactions: dEDGE
Upvote 0

HBtunatime

Popper Man
May 31, 2019
HB
Name
Collin
Boat
12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
Went out on halloween on native sun, basically same exact report, nothing but good things to say about the boat and crew! Found an epic school that we left biting 15 miles behind catalina probably. Got back between 9-10. Will be going again!

20191031_172850.jpg

Upvote 0

dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
Aug 12, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
SteveO
Boat
American Angler
Now that's fishin. Great report. I gotta know though, was the wife upset?

A little bit, more worried than mad. I called her once we got within range and got an earful. All good.

Reactions: mindbent and cchris
Upvote 0

dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
Aug 12, 2018
Torrance, CA
Name
SteveO
Boat
American Angler
Hey there Steve-O glad you had a nice trip. Hope the wife didn’t get mad at you. Great fishing with you hope to see you again. Native sun Crew

Keep up the good work Cap. Just give me advance notice next time. Lol.

Reactions: Capt.Gabe
Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
Nice report, sounds like you were in the top or bottom of the 9th when you started catching. Thankfully you didn't switch back to your 25 lb outfit.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Your a pretty funny guy, getting on a boat with Jeff Walker and having a date of any kind on the same day. Bajahahaha!!!

All I need to do is tell the wife I’m fishing the Native Sun. She knows the rules.

Great trip man.

Upvote 0

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
  • Dec 15, 2008
    Menifee
    Name
    Scoot
    Boat
    18’ CC Baja
    Hey there Steve-O glad you had a nice trip. Hope the wife didn’t get mad at you. Great fishing with you hope to see you again. Native sun Crew

I will try kinda hard to when the fish wants to bite like that.
    There’s some good advertisement!!
    Never ever would have thought to go on the sun till now!!

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    "Call your wives, we'll stay out all night if we have to!" might be the greatest sentence ever written on this site

when people talk about tipping on boats.....THIS IS TIP WORTHY!!!!

Upvote 0