Props to the Bug Boys 12.9.17

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by the SLIDER, Dec 9, 2017.

1. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Hi Gang,

Went out of D P after a few weeks way. Got rid of my Bronco and got an Audi. Had to rig a hitch and harness for my Toyota pick up. All went smooth, the PU is easier to maneuver than the Bronco.

Skiff ran at high speed well but hiccuped and stalled at idol. Stayed near harbor. Seems there's a never ending "things to do list".

I have been fishing out of DP on the SLIDER for over 30 years. All my really good spots are ones that I investigated when seeing lobster buoys. Most don't pan out, however I mark the ones with structure to be visited later in spring/summer months. If not for the commercial guys I'd have about half the spots I do. I'm sure all the spots these guys know have been passed down for generations. "Cheers to the Bug Boys".

:cheers:

Today:
    Spotted a buoy straight off the harbor. Nice patch of rock and grass with a whole ecosystem surrounding. There was a slow drift from N to S in 14 F of water, 61 degrees. It was wide open "Turd Wranglers", amazing. Started winding them in slow (boring) cause the first couple had their bladders out the mouth, lol. Caught about 25 in 2 hours. Kept 3 mediums for tacos. Approximately 5 were not legal, all were hungry and super easy to catch. Mixed in was 3 Fatties, 2 inches shy. Super fun catching Flatties on artificials, a real cat and mouse game.

Great day on the water.

IMG_0561.JPG

2. longboard85

longboard85 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    cody
    Boat:
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Nice job!

the SLIDER likes this.
  3. DrBob89

DrBob89 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bob Nigbor
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    I second the cheer for the bug pros. There were many lobster buoys on the Pipe yesterday, and the best fishing was often next to them.

the SLIDER likes this.
  4. c-goat

c-goat HELL BENT FOR FEATHER

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I know exactly that of which you be spillin.
    Back in the 80,s when they tore down and rebuilt the ingraham st.bridge they hauled it out to the which is now known as the super secret"SPOT" off mission beach.Im not one to divulge of said "super secret spots' but....if you are good at cyphering it lies in 70 ft. of water...line up the big stick on the north side of a certain hotel and there ya go.

Back when they rebuilt the bridge they had a dock that extended from sea world to the north side of the south side of vaca-village.If anyone recalls if you launched from ski beach you had to go all the way around and north by crown point to get out to sea.
    We actually would drive our truck out onto this temp.bridge and crank the stereo drink beers and fish the night away,man...the good ole days.
    There was a light shining onto a warning sign to keep 100 yards away.This light on the water would cause bait fish to congregate.You could actually see halibut,white sea bass and spotted bass(spotties)coming up and feeding on these bait fish.I can remember one night getting into a wide open bonita bite,it was an incoming high tide and there was tons of life...night life that is.

Anyhow,I just felt like sharing some of my good memories of fishing...it was a long time ago but these memories are strong to this day just like hi-lites of the BD community that of which we all like to share......dont even ask for numbers,im not good at math,just look for the big circle of lobuoys and watch your meter.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    ja73, bricktop27, 909MARIO and 3 others like this.
  5. sdjfish

sdjfish Deck Ape

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Don't forget the weather station! Always bait there.

6. embo

embo I've been recommended for a recommendation...

Name:
    n/a
    Boat:
    17' Bluewater
    I'm sure I fished that bridge many a nite with you. Long string of yellow lights.

7. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    I forgot who it was that told me twentysomething years ago, but commercial bug sets should always be investigated for structure.

8. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    All the secret spots have remained secret. Lol

9. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    You may relate to what I'm going to be spillin.

My first ocean trips in the late 60's early 70's we had a depth meter/fish finder on my Pops boat. So in my early ocean adventures we had technology. How in the hell can you navigate safely without a depth meter? Take depth soundings by "lead and line?" Ever been in a thick fog without a plotter and GPS?

I remember my pop gifting a LORAN for Christmas right at the end of that navigation period. I had purchased the Garmin GPS from a deadhead that fished at NP Landing for 2 bills used two weeks earlier. The LORAN is still in the box in the linen closet. Didn't have the heart to tell Dad.
    :mad:

All that to say this:
    Went to the Smithsonian in DC on a business trip. They had a display on GPS's. Recognize any? My first is the Garmin 12XL In the third picture.

P1000315.JPG

P1000316.JPG

P1000317.JPG

What a game changer having the benefits of technology. Safety and efficiency. Back in the day, it was quite a crap shoot checking the depth meter and getting a fix on a couple of landmarks. When investigating the Bug Boys buoys, good luck finding them next time. With technology, now we mark and name, (if your not lazy) adding a potential spot for the future and sometimes hook up that day.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  10. BryDog

BryDog Newbie

Name:
    Bryan Benjestorf
    Boat:
    Abbalanche
    There is no rule that says you cant do it without.

11. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore

embo and Reel hip like this.