Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
I start at 15% and go up or down from there depending on many factors. Mainly overall service, fish handling, attitude, food and boat cleanliness. Things that the crew has control over. Tip generously as much as you can afford. If you budget 20% you should be good.

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: Montaukmaniac

carloscafe

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 9, 2012
Sacramento
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
Please don't say you don't have enough money to tip. Look at all the new gear we buy each year that we don't need.
Also please don't say that those that tip 15-20% have more money than me. That may be true, but for crying out loud, budget for a respectable tip based on the service you get.
And if your are going to stiff the crew, be man enough to give them whatever you decide and tell them why they did not deserve 15-20%.
Bottom line----- If you can budget and afford to go on a long range trip, you can budget and afford to leave tip that is based on the services received keeping in mind all the things the crew does that have been mentioned above.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I’m curious, if fuel goes up 10% does that mean I have to tip that much more? It will reflect in the ticket price, along with landing fees, bait fees, etc..

BTW, the going tip rate is 30-50% just ask Dave

Blind Luck

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 14, 2015
Name
Mike Grieco
Boat
MALAKAS
I have always fished the same LR boat....
I tip $80-$100 for all my long range trips.
OH...THAT'S 80 TO 100 PER DAY
Just got in on a 3 day yesterday...we killed em
Gave the guys $300 and I had giveaways for everyone on the boat (Gators & Viewdoo sunglass gels)
I like everyone to have fun

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
back in the day i used to take my sons (4) on a longer ranger trip usually 5-7 days when they went to high school. It was a dad and son trip. I would save the entire year to pay for the trip plus the extras I would purchase them their own stick and reel. Tee shirts, hoodies from the boat. During my budgeting I would always include a 25% tip of the total trip. I have never been on a trip with the kids that the crew did not take extra care of them. That meant I was allowed to also fish. I always use each trip to add life lessons for the kids. One that I made sure they realized is that when someone goes out of their way to help you you return the favor. I would pay the fish cleaning and galley tab. My sons would give the deckhands the tip money. It has worked for me. I understand that today at about 500 dollars a day for a long range trip it has become a rich mans game. But if you can afford to go on the boat make sure you can afford to take care of those that take care of you, Oh by the way we used to ride the Big Game 90 With Captain Mike the Pirate Jewett. I miss those trips but I still have the memories
I also fished the Big Game 90 with Capt. Mike and if I recall Dave no shoes was the night Capt. I am going back to the early to mid 90's boy I miss those days. Today I am fishing the Excel, Red Rooster and the Indy. Love doing the 11-16 day trips. 4-5 trips a year. As for the tips for the crew I start out at 20%. If I ever get my 300 LB Yellowfin the tip goes to $3,000 plus 20% of the cost of the trip. I am at 288 so I am getting close to the big payday for the crew. If it happens its a good thing... if it doesn't happen its also a good thing. It all started on the 5 day Big Game 90 for myself. O the memoirs!

Shooter

Apr 28, 2003
Goleta, Ca
Visit site
I also fished the Big Game 90 with Capt. Mike and if I recall Dave no shoes was the night Capt. I am going back to the early to mid 90's boy I miss those days. Today I am fishing the Excel, Red Rooster and the Indy. Love doing the 11-16 day trips. 4-5 trips a year. As for the tips for the crew I start out at 20%. If I ever get my 300 LB Yellowfin the tip goes to $3,000 plus 20% of the cost of the trip. I am at 288 so I am getting close to the big payday for the crew. If it happens its a good thing... if it doesn't happen its also a good thing. It all started on the 5 day Big Game 90 for myself. O the memoirs!
Noce try 👎

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
These topics are always interesting... it seems entertainment involves tipping.... why does our society deem this? As it was explained to me a “tip” means “to insure prompt service” I have know idea how true this is or not as it predates anyone who can actually prove it’s true meaning. However certain jobs deserve tips while others don’t even get a nod... our society seems to want to give to those that work 24/7 365 when a big event happens. “War time for our military” “911 For fire police ems” “the current covid for hospital staff” But without a big event these professions still are committed to provide service second to none to complete strangers.... do they receive tips... should they? I understand their base wage may be payed for via tax but our taxes are spread among many services.often leaving these professions with dismal wages.... this topic is a can of worms without question. I guess my point is we all choose not only our profession,hobbies, and life styles but how we choose to treat the folks we interact with..... I feel if anyone provides a service: mowing lawns, building a motor, serving a meal.. etc.. and they do it with a positive attitude and willingness to share their trade they deserve a tip or if they are unable to receive gratuities at least A sincere appreciation to their craft.... as the saying goes a mile walked in someone’s shoes has a high likelihood of forming a blister... Appreciate others for what they do because for what they do makes us great

Reactions: carterantebi

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I’m curious, if fuel goes up 10% does that mean I have to tip that much more? It will reflect in the ticket price, along with landing fees, bait fees, etc..

BTW, the going tip rate is 30-50% just ask Dave
Don't forget to add the parking in the lot, any tackle you buy at the landing, any Line fill ups or tackle you got on the boat, It's all part of your trip. Hell Why Not tip the boat's office when you pay and get your boarding pass.

Last edited:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I have always fished the same LR boat....
I tip $80-$100 for all my long range trips.
OH...THAT'S 80 TO 100 PER DAY
Just got in on a 3 day yesterday...we killed em
Gave the guys $300 and I had giveaways for everyone on the boat (Gators & Viewdoo sunglass gels)
I like everyone to have fun
:daman:

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Maybe the crew should of fed that 288 lb fish you got with with a few 4lb sash weights before going on the scale, LOL. LOL

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Soda Pop

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Don't forget to add the parking in the lot, any tackle you buy at the landing, any Line fill ups or tackle you got on the boat, It's all part of your trip. Hell Why Not tip the boat's office when you pay and get your boarding pass.
You do tip when you get your boarding pass.They charge you 3% for giving them your business.

Reactions: kevina

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Two years ago with Frank Lopreste as skipper he was very vague on tipping during the last night’s round up. He said 10-15%, whatever you can afford. With him running the trip I’m sure the captain didn’t share in the tips. I’ve asked several other skippers(not all that I’ve fished with) and they do share in the tips. I always plan at least 15% rounded up, and move up from there. If I get in the jackpot and win half plus goes to the crew.

Reactions: Bill W

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
Some people actually do tip the office personnel.

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Many threads over the years on this topic. Just like at the restaurant, 15-20% unless there is a reason otherwise. And if there is, tell the skipper why. He needs to know where the boat fell down.
Because your paying for two, plus your paying for processing fees for two, and tackle for two. Does that count? I’ve never had anything to say bad about the San Diego fleets