Charts

Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
bayliner capri 2052 cuddy
Hey everyone,

My prop is dinged up a bit and was thinking of replacing it. Thought I was going to have to remove it to take it to a prop shop for advice. But then I re-found the original operation manual that the old owner gave me which had the prop number written in the front cover with all the other serial numbers:

48 78122 A40 21P

I think I can just search for a prop on the web that claims to replace that? Is it best to go for exact replacement?

I've read that you can tweak performance with different props but I'm more interested in fuel economy than I am squeezing and extra couple of knots of speed.

What are the gotchas I'm not thinking of?

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Be careful as some prop manufacturers use a different thrust washer so you would have to factor this into the purchase price. If you aren't looking to change anything performance-wise then a duplicate of what you have would be OK.

Since you live in San Diego I would see Ed at Propellers of San Diego in Spring Valley and he can help you - his prices are most likely exactly what you would pay online (or less) and you would get very sage advice from Ed.

http://www.propellersofsandiego.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: CRC_222 and Charts

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Well not so fast there bucko. The prop on a boat is like the gears on a bike. You will get the best performance over a narrow range of operating conditions. You have to start by doing your homework. What motor? what is the maximum RPM that the engine is rated for? With the boat setup like u plan to use it, what is the max RPM that you can achieve properly trimmed and typically loaded on reasonable water? Next you have to find out what prop is on it. That one has a 21" pitch. You can always get a little better performance with the right SS prop.

Reactions: Charts

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Also recommend Propellers of San Diego. Top notch! He can give any advice you need.

Reactions: Charts