Production JRI Intruder Makes It's Debut

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rodless_Jim, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    As many of you know, I was on the recent Team Hoo Cow Hunt 16-day trip. I plan to write more about the trip in another post, but one piece of news really shouldn't wait.

The night before our trip left the dock, I spent some time with Jerry of JRI, a great guy and an obsessive technician when it comes to fishing tackle. If you haven't already tried JRI iron, both light and heavy, you owe it to yourself to give them a shot. You won't be sorry. The original 'Hooicide Bombs were very effective, and the new JRI direct tie bombs are outstanding. Don't take my word for it...ask Soda Pop.

Jerry showed up to drop off some of the direct tie bombs, but especially to bring me the very first production model of the JRI Intruder. Yep, the very first one out of the mold.

Now the JRI Intruder project has been news on this board on and off for years now. It was originally Jerry's attempt to recreate from scratch the no-longer-in-production "Hooker Intruder." Jerry did well with his lure, and anglers who used it (including yours truly) had a lot of success with it. It was a prototype, of course, meant to duplicate as best possible the original lure. Even so, it was a facsimile, and never identical to the Hooker version. I don't know if that model ever went into production mode, but it was every bit good enough to fish with. Those who owned or had owned an original Hooker Intruder, though, maintained that it wasn't quite the same. The JRI Prototype was very productive, but it couldn't match the original.

Then something interesting happened.

One of Jerry's friends introduced Jerry to the surviving partner of Hooker (there were two partners, and one has since passed away). To make a long story short, Jerry abandoned his attempt to reinvent the wheel, and went into partnership with the original inventor to bring the original Intruder back. That effort started some three years ago, and has also been the subject of several threads on this board. Interest has always remained high...for good reason.

In any case, and to make a long post just a little longer, after several unfortunate delays that mostly had very little to do with research and development, the JRI Intruder has arrived. This is essentially the very same Intruder that Hooker marketed in the late 90s, far and away the best wahoo trolling lure pretty much anyone has ever seen. The only difference between the original and the new version is that the JRI Intruder is somewhat more robust, with an incredible through wire unmatched anywhere in the industry.. The JRI Intruder weighs the same, tracks the same, and gets bit the same. It has top quality swivels and hooks, and is not going to break on you.

Does it work? On our trip that one lure (eggplant color) caught four wahoo, three for me, and one for another angler who wanted to try it. No other single lure caught as many. The Intruder caught in all three positions, once on the slide, twice on the initial strike. Three times first hit when you include the other angler. On the second bite, the wahoo ate the eye out of one side of the lure. Didn't slow the Intruder down at all.

My best assessment was that when a pack of wahoo hit multiple dragged lures within just a few seconds, that was the only time the Intruder wasn't first bit. Any troll rotation longer than a couple of minutes...at least when I was trolling...the Intruder was always first bit, over marauders, DTX Minnows, and even a heavy cowbell.

Yes, there were probably 100 DTX Minnows on the boat. Most trolling rotations dragged at least three of them, and they caught a lot of wahoo. But I repeat, my one Intruder caught more fish than any one DTX Minnow or Marauder. I did actually troll my Cowbell Jr. on my last trolling rotation, against four DTX Minnows. I was the one that got bit.

I read somewhere that Nomad is in the process of developing a bigger, more robust DTX Minnow, one that will stand up to the violence a little better. I'll be interested to see how that version performs. But for now, the Intuder is my go to trolling lure for wahoo, and the Ballyhood Cowbell Jr. comes a modest second. Yes, I own three DTX Minnows, and I might even bring one or more of them on my next trip. My Intruder will be the first one in the water, though. I can pretty much promise you that.

2. Shanethelipripper

Shanethelipripper Member

Name:
    Shane
    Boat:
    Alex
    I wanna see this egg plant color

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  3. The Bushman

The Bushman The Bushman

Name:
    Ken Bush
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    I'll post a pic of the actual Intruder Jim used when I have a chance...

Bob Sands, Rodless_Jim and Anglewood like this.
  4. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Great news! I know that Jerry has been working hard to get this done for a long while. I have been one of the lucky ones to take one of his originals on a trip and I have also been a huge fan of his irons for many years now. I look forward to seeing future developments.

-Connor

nmthree, Bob Sands and Rodless_Jim like this.
  5. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Not really development anymore Connor. Jerry tells me that they will be for sale at Fred Hall. I don't know how many there will be there, but you might inquire at Bob Sands Tackle. They will definitely have them, though I believe at least one other vendor will have some too. From what I can tell, there are already orders (from tackle shops) for a thousand, maybe more.

Frankly, I'd buy tickets for Day One.

Anglewood and Bob Sands like this.
  6. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Eggplant gets bit...

790817_66ace16b2d819a055b16be9cac85e983.jpg

7. Soda Pop

Soda Pop I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David Rouse
    Boat:
    Long range fishing
    the new JRI direct tie bombs are outstanding. Don't take my word for it...ask Soda Pop. Rodless_Jim is right. The new JRI direct tie bombs are the real deal. PERIOD!! I caught 15 wahoo on the way down at the rocks... lost many more... hey that's wahoo fishing. I used 130 fluro so I lost a bunch of lures but getting hit is part of the fun. They were frozen wahoo so I donated what I could to the galley and gave the others to anglers that weren't getting the hits I was. I found these lures at Angler's Choice 1910 Rosecrans St. 619-223-2324
    San Diego, CA 92106

I will be getting more of these bombs as I have another 16 day trip in April. I like the green but others were getting bit on purple. I think the key is the wahoo like them fast. They sink perfect and cover the water columns perfect.

8. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    I still have not seen any other trolling lure that kills wahoo and holds up better then the Hooker (now JRI) Intruder.

Anglewood, Bob Sands and Rodless_Jim like this.
  9. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    IMG_2713.JPG

Rest in Peace little Dorado Intruder...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Status007, sierraazuel, Shon and 4 others like this.
  10. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I want my next one to be dorado colored, Gary...and I want you to paint it, if you will.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  11. reelconcerned

reelconcerned Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hi Rodless, and Soda pop, sounds like your trip was great,
    I liked the information about the new lure, ordered a dozen of them assorted colors, thanks for the phone #. Have a 16day on the Indy in April, ill put them to work....Paul

12. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    You ordered a dozen Intruders Paul? A man on a mission!

jer dog likes this.
  13. Chico Tan

Chico Tan Member

Name:
    Chico Tan
    Boat:
    N/a
    Will they be for sale at FHS? Enough to last past day 1 and 2?

14. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Yes, Jerry told me they would be.

As to that, I can't say.

Chico Tan likes this.
  15. potuna

potuna Unknown member

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Royal Star, Excel, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster, Shogun and somebody else's.
    Jim my original hooker way out performed everything on the JB one trip. It didn’t get bit on only one trolling rotation. I put it away when the sharks got on the hoo. I have two one eggplant and a Tony the Tiger Gary painted which is the one I used on this trip.

Rodless_Jim likes this.
  16. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none

Thanks guys for the kind words!! It was a long time coming. I’m glad the Original Hooker Intruder by JRI performed better than expected. But then again, we are using the same molds from the original (under lock and key in a bank vault) and methodology and everything is coming together quite nicely!!

As for the Fred Hall Show Long Beach. This will be the “soft release” of the Hooker Intruder. It will be very limited quantity to at least get some lures out there. There will be Intruders for each day of the show. Pending how many are complete for the show, I will divide them up equally for the 5 days. Im trying to make this as fair as possible. Bob Sands Fishing tackle will be selling the Intruder at FH Long Beach. After the FH show, we will be producing more Intruders to select retailers and branch out to other of our fine retailers.

Our plan for the release was wahoo season during mid summer, late fall, but after seeing some of the recent reports, we figured a soft release for FH Long Beach would allow some Intruders out there.

Thanks again for the kind word guys and see you at FH!!!

17. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    If only people knew what lengths Jerry has gone to to insure the Intruders will perform as well or better than the originals they would be amazed.....people kept whining about the slow progress in production but if you know anything about Jerry he is a perfectionist when it comes to JRI products and he wasn't going to make them unless they were perfect.......I have had the privilege of using the various versions of the Intruders for the past 4 years and testing the prototypes and paint jobs ....if you like to catch wahoo these need to be in your quiver....Thanks Jerry.

18. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I'm just hoping once the standard ones are up and running full bore we might get lucky and get a smaller sized one for local San Diego trolling.

19. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    They do exist Robert. We shall see. Here’s the baby with his full size XL brother.

437E7988-5017-4D0E-A29D-AB12DC75F8BA.jpeg

Tackleho619, Shon, Olddog8 and 2 others like this.
  20. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Looks like a killer!

Shon likes this.