tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Left Monday night around 9PM for a overnighter on the Producer. South wind felt like it might be lumpy, but it was reasonable. Not a long run, stopped around 2:30AM, started a little north of the 35 other boats on "the spot". Putted west to the outside edge, started fishing around 3:30AM. In a bit of haste, I bought some knife jigs from H&M tackle shop on Monday morning, just in case. I added some upgraded in line hooks to the end. More on these to come. Started dropping a 300g "Glow" knife jig, that did not glow, even with my UV light, on a Graftech GR78XXXH with a Penn Fathom 60 2 speed, 100# spectra 100# short mono top, #200 mono leader double crimped. The guy next to me got picked up, and I got picked up right after. Could tell these were the big boys, and I was on the rail for a bit, but had to follow the fish to the corner. The others fishing did not "get it" and I was wrapped in at least 2 lines quickly. It became an actual knot, and as the deckhand tried to untie it, the fish unbuttoned, as I could not take line, and it was just hanging. Heartbreaking. I looked at the jig, after the know was resolved after a while, and the hook on the top of the knife jig had straightened! I friggin upgraded all the other jigs I brought, but in my haste, I left the ones from H&M landing shop. The one the guy next to me was #175. He got two about the same size, but I could not get bit the rest of the trip! It was a great trip for the others, 17 folks on a 25 person limited load, many with levels of skills, but almost everyone got bendo. Some of the hot sticks started handing off fish, which was nice to see, I have done it many times too! I ended up taking a handed off fish, a #30. First time, but I was loosing it! I could not buy a bite, I went down to #20 fluro, with a small wire circle, but could not get picked up. Boils everywhere, right next to the boat, rookies getting bit next to me, but I was snakebit. Never a bait fish pickup, or bump. WTF! Tried #40, #30, #25, and #20 Fluro, small circles. Flylined, sinklers, Katie Perry FF, others, nada. Nice bait, no issues there. Must have left my Mojo at home! The crew was great, hard working and always busy, gaffing and untangling lines. The boat ended up with 34 for 17 anglers. Maybe 5 over 3100, with 2 #175, and a #140. See pictures of the crappy hooks, note the line coming out the heat shrink, the jigs, and the toad tuna. It should have been me, I do not have an answer for not getting bit on bait. My mind is messed up from it. I have another trip booked in a couple of weeks. The fish are thick out there, go get em! Jigs with bad hooks.jpgpulled hooks.jpgproducer tuna 175.jpg

pulled hooks.jpg

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Thanks for the report. I have been there my fair share of trips, and learned (gratefully) that there is nothing wrong with taking a hand off to save your day:)
    As a side question, is that bent hook an Owner assist hook? I bought a few of the Owner's version and they look a bit too thin for my comfort level...

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Some days just don't come together brother. Your brutal honesty begs the question... what was on your hands? Sunscreen?... WD40?.... Handsoap?... did you use the same "fishtowel" all day? Was there soap residue left on the hypalon of your favorite rod? Did you wear fishing gloves? There's more I'm sure....

Is there A "hidden" common denominator responsible for many of your troubles? Only you will know. But on days of "mass failures"... my attention turns to what and why? Little things matter.... specifically when when discussing olfactory contamination. Just review.... closely.... and get back up on that horse brother....the fish are waiting. Nice post! Good luck.

bajaspearo

May 25, 2006
    Corona
    Name
    Tanner Cortes
    Boat
    18' Stringari
    Just forget it man..

Best thing you could have done is to share your experience with fellow BD'ers who've all been there with you.

Remember, the road to recovery is to admit you had a problem first. See you out there.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks Woodfish, I went over all variables, no to all. I am very careful of hand contamination, and bait choice. Can not figure it out. Last night, when I dug up the grave of an native shawman, had an Owl and seagull for dinner, and stole from the needy, and took candy from a child everything seemed fine! The hooks, they were not owners. Some gold coated crap that was slapped on to complete the package. Good quality stuff added on all jigs for the future. I showed H&M tackle shop the hooks, they did not seem to give a s#%$! I did use some "hot sauce " scent on the jug that got bit, I do believe in scents mattering, and I am careful. I guess there was no common denominator, just was not my day. Still, having BFT for dinner tonight, lucky guy in some ways. I will be back-Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    Thanks Woodfish, I went over all variables, no to all. I am very careful of hand contamination, and bait choice. Can not figure it out. Last night, when I dug up the grave of an native shawman, had an Owl and seagull for dinner, and stole from the needy, and took candy from a child everything seemed fine! The hooks, they were not owners. Some gold coated crap that was slapped on to complete the package. Good quality stuff added on all jigs for the future. I showed H&M tackle shop the hooks, they did not seem to give a s#%$! I did use some "hot sauce " scent on the jug that got bit, I do believe in scents mattering, and I am careful. I guess there was no common denominator, just was not my day. Still, having BFT for dinner tonight, lucky guy in some ways. I will be back-Thanks!
    Looks like you have had upgraded owner and mustad on the ends and you got bit on the stock hooks, bummer man.

Reactions: fishkiller12672
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great Report pics, info...That's bluefin fishing, sucks sometimes. Fishing deep, tangles happen.
    You documented the things that failed, so better trip next time. Hope you score a big one next time!
    One thing I really hate on bluefin hunting trips, is seeing half the boat go straight to the parking lot....Oh well...That's fishing LOL

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    I was having one of those experiences during a night bite over 2 nights. I was doing great during the day, but could not get bit at night. Using all the right lures, well, they used to be the right ones. Anyway, I finally asked if I could watch my friend who was doing phenomenally those 2 nights and saw what I was missing. I literally stopped fishing, stood next to him and watched what he was doing. It was a small thing, but it made the difference and I got three fish on 3 drops right after that. Sometimes you figure it out, sometimes you've got to get help.

Upvote 0

can

May 10, 2010
    Chatsworth
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    nice. a hand-off is still a hard earned fish!
    I feel your pain on the lines and lost fish. helplessness and frustration kicks in real quick

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Afrasier, what did you percieve that turned it around? Brideled jigs? That is one thing I did not try!

Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    David
    Boat
    None
    I was having one of those experiences during a night bite over 2 nights. I was doing great during the day, but could not get bit at night. Using all the right lures, well, they used to be the right ones. Anyway, I finally asked if I could watch my friend who was doing phenomenally those 2 nights and saw what I was missing. I literally stopped fishing, stood next to him and watched what he was doing. It was a small thing, but it made the difference and I got three fish on 3 drops right after that. Sometimes you figure it out, sometimes you've got to get help.
    What did you notice your friend doing different?

Reactions: TJBertram
    Upvote 0