Processor leaves the skin on?

kevitykev

Feb 25, 2010
Santa Ana, Ca
Name
KJ
Boat
Whichever one I'm on
When you get your fish processed, does the processor purposely leave the skin on the fillet?

PullOnThis

Feb 28, 2018
California
Name
PullOnThis One
Boat
Floating beer cooler
If you ask them to, sure! Usually they will remove it unless otherwise requested, at least in my experience.

Reactions: prolinegd

Warlord

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
Typically, it’s removed. Some processors left the skin on wahoo saying it kept the flesh together.

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
Jun 21, 2007
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
5-Star will process your fish any way you want. You just have to give them special instructions. If no special instructions, they will fillet your fish, take out the bloodline, and cut loins into meal size servings and vacuum pack. If you ask for collars, they'll do that. If you want skin on, they'll do that. If you want skin on but scaled, you need to tell them. Excellent processor and the meat is labeled and ready for the freezer.

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
If you ask them to they will. Wahoo sometimes don't make it back in the best shape especially if they're caught early in a trip and there is a lot of rubbing going on in the hold. 5 Star will leave the skin on these fish if they feel they need to. I've never had an issue with it

kevitykev

Feb 25, 2010
Santa Ana, Ca
Name
KJ
Boat
Whichever one I'm on
Thanks guys. I've got regular fillets that still have skin on them. I didn't know that you had to give these guys granular instructions.

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Thanks guys. I've got regular fillets that still have skin on them. I didn't know that you had to give these guys granular instructions.
when you state getting your fish processed & you mentioned yellowfin tuna or any tuna for that matter & skin being left on....
Im pretty certain that all our our local land based processors, 5star, fishermans processing, marios will never leave skin on any vacuum packed processed tuna fillet....
my guess is is youre using "processed" as a general term & your tuna were just filleted during your trip on the boat.
The deckhands on the boat have to leave skin on tuna fillets per fish & game regulations per fillet instructions for identification purposes.
Ive never seen or heard of an actual shore based legit processor leaving skin on tuna....
Also as stated about tuna bellies always get processed with skin-on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye and scott v

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
when you state getting your fish processed & you mentioned yellowfin tuna or any tuna for that matter & skin being left on....
Im pretty certain that all our our local land based processors, 5star, fishermans processing, marios will never leave skin on any vacuum packed processed tuna fillet....
my guess is is youre using "processed" as a general term & your tuna were just filleted during your trip on the boat.
The deckhands on the boat have to leave skin on tuna fillets per fish & game regulations per fillet instructions for identification purposes.
Ive never seen or heard of an actual shore based legit processor leaving skin on tuna....
Also as stated about tuna bellies always get processed with skin-on.
They leave the skin on the bellies because it's very time consuming to remove it. First off, it's curved, second there's the outer layer and the inner layer. Third, there's not much meat on the smaller tuna.

Nothing better for sashimi than a 80+ pound BF belly.