Problems with seaguar floro?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by obfishslayer, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    John, re-read his third sentence. I think it says it all.

Seaguar Premier breaks a little below what it's labeled as. Ie 20 Premier will break at close to 20. Most lines labeled 20 will break closer to 30. Sooooo if you pull on Premier the same way you would pull on 30 lb line labeled as 20 the result is predictable......never mind abrasion decrease on tunas little teeth even if you finesse.....

I love hearing how xyz line is " the strongest 30lb" or whatever line.

No dummy 30lb is 30 lb.

Line manufacturers just put 30 lb stickers on 50 lb line and people buy into it.

titos334 and Haly0 like this.
  2. saltwaterfish

saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    looking for new one
    yep, not pro staffer, didnt say I put anyone on fish. Try any brand you want, who cares.

Not narrow minded, just wouldnt catch me listening to some ridiculous sales pitch (without knowing it was a sales pitch) then find me posting about it like it was some sort of reliable information like you did.

3. manh3

manh3 Member

Name:
    manh
    Boat:
    nada

He probably also told you that jb spectra is inferior to their cortland brand and you believed him. Why would anyone buy a specific rated pound test and expect a higher rated break strength. If I buy a 22oz beer I'm not going to be mad and pissy that they didn't give me 25 ounces.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  4. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    No sales pitch or affiliation with charkbait. Regardless I've never had a single problem with premier up to #50. I use seaguar majority of the time. While it is proven & reliable & comes at a cost. There are other brands that work if you have a problem with one company.
    :cheers:

5. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available

:hali_blablalba::hali_blablalba::hali_blablalba:

6. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    Sorry if my statement was confusing. I couldn't test what already happened but was able to recreate the same issue.

I retied my floro to spectra and had my friend and deckie watch to verify it was done correctly, when we pulled both ends the spectra broke.

I then retied with my friends spectra, which was also Seaguar (same lb test) and was not able to break the line when pulling the ends.

I was trying to ensure it was not my tying ability. At least it made me feel better about the situation. I wish I tested it sooner though.

7. Chark

Chark Member

Name:
    Mark Smith
    Boat:
    25 Luhrs - CharkBait
    My understanding is quite simple, Seaguar Premier came out initially as a third generation line, thinner diameter, more stretch, appropriate breaking strength. After a year or so folks on the long range side of things began complaining that the line broke early, the Blue Label was the better product. Then some time later I'm told that the Premier was an IGFA line. That means it BREAKS UNDER STATED TEST. (So why not say so in the beginning...or was that just marketing hype to go along with thinner diameter/lower testing line and take up more shelf space with dealers)? So, for those of us who will fish hard, we do indeed look for conservatively rated lines - at least break at your stated test please, not below. Why do long range guys fish Izor mono...it breaks heavy. Why has Berkley Big Game fallen from favor over the past 10 years...it breaks light. No big surprises. Seaguar has done much to promote use of FL lines over the years, and the Blue Label still has it's place for LR anglers or those looking for a more conservatively rated line....but competition is approaching there, too...

Like anything else, competition brings out the best...to the benefit of the consumer. I'd say it's resulted in Hi Seas Quattro and Sunline - both offer very good products for a far more reasonable price. Seaguar is prime to be vulnerable to competition from other quality manufacturers. Hi Seas product comes from Portugal, Europe's largest line make. Sunline is made in Japan and offers some 20 plus varieties of FL lines through THEIR factory. They used to only make lines OEM, for other firms to put their label on and sell. They began marketing under their own brand name perhaps 8 years ago in the freshwater side of things, then started to go after the saltwater market a year or so ago. A new entrant into a market won't make much headway unless they have a better product AND a better price. That's especially true these days given shelf space and dollars a dealer will put into any category. Hard to get rackspace for a new vendor. Seaguar has played the "Doritos game" - come out with a bunch of different products/flavors which prevent others from getting their product on a dealer's shelves. (1st generation, 2nd generation, salmon, trout...heck they must have close to a dozen flavors and in the world of saltwater they have four or more being marketed). I've done my testing, am probably one of a very few retailers who actually put in $ to purchase equipment to test lines seriously. Seaguar benefited from my testing of Black Water - which demonstrated that there was considerable hype behind that firm's line. My testing also confirms that both Hi Seas and Sunline are offering a VERY COMPETITIVE PRODUCT. Both get bit well, both offer the consumer a better value. Consequently, I'm giving Seaguar less rack space here than I did in the past, and putting Sunline and Hi Seas Quattro into our shops in greater quantity. I still stock Seaguar, but I'm not buying the kool aid without some testing, and I'm keeping room here for newer products of merit. Talk to me in a couple years, I may have other thoughts, may see other manufacturers come out with innovations in line that point us in a different direction. Things can always evolve or change. But, at present I'm certainly not fishing Seaguar like I used to. I moved on a couple years ago.

"saltwaterfish Well-Known "Member"" Shucks, Is that Jason Hightower, rep for Seaguar? How you doing Jason! You shouldn't be so darn anonymous when you do a drive by post.

Great Stuff<
    Mark

p.s. And, for Manh3 - I don't work with Cortland, though we did carry that product for several years. They were moving into saltwater and they had a 16 strand hollow core that was interesting, easy to work with compared to a 12 strand. Same tale for Blackwater with their 16 and 12 strand HC braids. We sold both lines while the firms were relevant. Cortland had some issues back in NY, almost went out of business and refocused back towards it's core - fly fishing. I never made any knocks on JB's quality. Heck, I was Jerry's largest dealer for many years. But, I did move on, as did Jerry's supplier of line. As I understand it, his line is NOT made by the same firm that did so previously. Cortland used to make some of JB's lines as did Western. But, I never did a private label thing with either of them. I went in a different direction for my other company's product, where the benefits of competition allowed some innovation and value. AND with respect to lines typically being conservatively rated rather than IGFA rated (which by definition means breaking under stated test), a primary reason is knot strength. Any knot will reduce test, so by having a line rated conservatively the test of the connection won't degrade the overall test of the line being fished - so drag can be set appropriately as a percentage of the line's rated test. That's the underlying consideration behind more conservatively rated lines. Same holds true for braid, with the exception that dynamic test will be less than static/tensile strength - thus a "snap" break can occur at far lower test than the braid's actual test. That's a function of low stretch. So, again most manufacturers will opt for a conservatively rated line - that can put them at a disadvantage when comparing diameters. For most of us, it's always preferable to be conservative...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    fxbobby likes this.
  8. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I like and fish Seaguar Premier but use diameter as my guideline, not rated break strength. Check a post on the Long Range board, by Basil. BHP. Tests on 100 lb, 130 lb and 150 lb Premier. 100 lb broke right around 100. 130 at around 150 and the 150 lb sample at about 185.

This case, 15 lb Premier, pretty skinny string. Instead of checking my knot, I'd be checking my drag.

Ryan_J and freegaff2 like this.