FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
So after fishing a 130# fluorocarbon leader for a couple of days or pulling hard on a fish or two it starts to get very curly in the section that inserts into the hollow spectra, so much so that there seems to be a permanent coil or two that I cannot straighten out and it most assuredly does not let the bait swim freely dragging this permanent coil around. Is there a way to straighten this out or do I simply need to suck it up and change out the leader?

Alternatively is the another way to connect 130 flouro to 130 hollow spectra that will avoid this issue?

Jig Stick

GO AZTECS!
Apr 21, 2008
La Costa
Name
Ken
Boat
Cabo 216...Sold
The only time I get kinks or "curls" is if I attach the hook to my reel and pull tight to store the set-up for a while. If the line is too tight, I get a kink in the fluoro where it does a 180° turn at the top eye. Not sure if this is your problem or not.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
That can happen too but I can usually get rid of it by pulling the line through my fingers a few times getting it to heat up a little and straighten back out.

The place I have trouble at is the section that is inserted into the hollow spectra connecting the main line with the fluorocarbon leader. It is wound around the spool a couple of times and picks up the curve of the spool. I cannot run that through my fingers as it is covered by the spectra.

Maybe I could try to just pull that section tight/straight and pour a cup of hot water on it. I don't think it would damage anything and it should warm it up enough to let it straighten back out.

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Hate seeing those curls in white. I have not been successful in fixing those. If the leader is long enough, it shouldn't affect the visibility of the leader. Pulling on it works if you also apply heat, but that is harder inside the spectra. I retie in this case.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Tony Pena knot.
David,

I was thinking about that as well but most posts on the topic say that 130 # is too big for the knot. Are you using the TP knot on 130 # gear? If so are you using a single overhand knot in the fluorocarbon or a 2-3 turn Uni?

Thanks,

Last edited:

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
tie a hook on, put the hook on one of the trolling ropes, and walk up towards the bow with the reel in free spool. When you no longer have "curly-Q's" coming off of the reel, lock it down, and pull. it will stretch the coils out of flouro.
Kevin,

This usually works the first couple of time but eventually the curls won't relax. Maybe I just need to be more aggressive.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
David,

I was thinking about that as well but most posts on the topic says that 130 # is too big for the knot. Are you using the TP knot on 130 # gear? If so are you using a single overhand knot in the fluorocarbon or a 2-3 turn Uni?

Thanks,

Yes I use the Pena with 130# with a 2 turn uni.....pulled uber tight....I have had no issues with the knot being too big....

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Yes I use the Pena with 130# with a 2 turn uni.....pulled uber tight....I have had no issues with the knot being too big....
I will start practicing right now. Do you glue the knot or heat/mushroom the end of the fluorocarbon?

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
How are you inserting and securing your leader?

It sounds like a tension issue. Either the inserted leader or the braid around it has a higher tension. This forces the joint to curl.

Maybe try another method for securing leader in hollow?

I don't know, I use knots. But I do understand physics and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
If pulling hard on a couple of fish on the same leader for a couple of days; it may be time to consider replacing the leader. Curly line insertion problem solved!

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: dh515

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I will start practicing right now. Do you glue the knot or heat/mushroom the end of the fluorocarbon?
I do not use glue as IMO the beauty of the knot is the harder you pull the tighter the spectra gets on the lead glue would impede the tightening ..... no need to mushroom the end of the mono or FC.

To get the uni tight enough use a pair of duckbills or pliers to hold the tag end of the leader and pull the main line with a line puller....

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
If pulling hard on a couple of fish on the same leader for a couple of days; it may be time to consider replacing the leader. Curly line insertion problem solved!

- Jeff Burroughs
Jeff,

You are probably right.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
I do not use glue as IMO the beauty of the knot is the harder you pull the tighter the spectra gets on the lead glue would impede the tightening ..... no need to mushroom the end of the mono or FC.

To get the uni tight enough use a pair of duckbills or pliers to hold the tag end of the leader and pull the main line with a line puller....
David,

Thank you for your patient replies. I will definitely work on my knot tying and give it a try.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
How are you inserting and securing your leader?

It sounds like a tension issue. Either the inserted leader or the braid around it has a higher tension. This forces the joint to curl.

Maybe try another method for securing leader in hollow?

I don't know, I use knots. But I do understand physics and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Kid,

Thanks. I will be trying other connection types but I think it is probably like Jeff suggests. Just time to change the leader. Re-tying would certainly be the most direct way. Will see how it all goes in 3 short months.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Kid,

Thanks. I will be trying other connection types but I think it is probably like Jeff suggests. Just time to change the leader. Re-tying would certainly be the most direct way. Will see how it all goes in 3 short months.
Just a FYI I change my leader after EVERY big fish and at the end of everyday if I have fished it a lot even if I don't catch a fish on it but that is just me I like fresh line in the water at gray light.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Jeff,
The problem sounds like it coming from the construction of the wind on leader.
Was it home made?
Single or double wall?
What type of serve? Nail knots? Crimps?
Glue? How much? and more importantly Where?
A Photo would be nice.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Jeff,
The problem sounds like it coming from the construction of the wind on leader.
Was it home made?
Single or double wall?
What type of serve? Nail knots? Crimps?
Glue? How much? and more importantly Where?
A Photo would be nice.
PM sent.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.

What is a "line puller" ?