ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I've been noticing that when I cast my Curado 300EJ, it randomly causes the freespool button to disengage. It has been very annoying and causes the line to wrap around the tip of the rod. It happens more when I whip the rod when I cast with lures.

I just figured out what caused the problem on my reel. When the position of the power handle is set to the vertical position on the reel (or slightly past the vertical position), as soon as I cast forward, the weight of the plastic knob causes the handle to move forward and disengage the freespool. I am wondering if other owners of this reel has this problem due to the weight unbalance with the power handle.

If any of you can replicate this problem, please let me know. I like the feel of the power handle, but if it affects my cast, I rather trade it for another reel or get rid of the handle.

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
The power handle will cause that. I don't think there's any way around that besides positioning the handle before you cast, or swapping it out for paddle handles.

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
Re-install the OEM paddles. Myself and the crew were catching 20# yellows down at Cedros, no problem with the paddle handles. What a power handle can do is strip the threads that hold the nut that holds the handle in place, besides snapping the freespool off in a hurry. You can only ask a levelwind reel to do so much. Need to use the rod to fight the fish with levelwinds.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Thanks for the info guys. The 300EJ only comes with the power handle. I might put in the paddle handle from the Revo Toro if the slot is the same size. The Revo Toro has a power handle, but it doesn't have this weight distribution problem. I bought the 300EJ reel since I like the power handle, but having to remember to position the handle on each cast is too much to ask. Its bad experience every time the reel locks up and the line whips around the rod tip. I had one of my jigs wrap around the anchor line due to the problem. After that incident, everyone moves out of the way when I cast. LOL

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
Oops, sorry, didn't know it came that way. To me, it would be a design flaw. I'd call Shimano and see if there might be an option. Worth a try.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I just swapped out the handle with the paddle handle from my Revo Toro and all the problems went away. It was definitely caused by the weight imbalance on the 300EJ power handle. I would call them tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath that they will fix it. If they increased the flyweight on the opposite side, it may fix the problem.

Its definitely a nice reel, but if they can't fix it, I will just sell or trade it in. I've had enough headaches from this Shimano reel. The only reason I bought this over the standard is because of the nice power handle. I actually prefer the slower speed ratio of the regular 300E reel (6:1) since you get more power per crank.

Oops, sorry, didn't know it came that way. To me, it would be a design flaw. I'd call Shimano and see if there might be an option. Worth a try.

genaro12390

Skipper
Apr 1, 2011
San Diego/California/USA
Name
Genaro
Boat
Not yet
I just recently switched my EJ for an E model for the same reason, as well as, the fact that it does not feel very balanced when you are crankin it up. I think you may benefit more from the paddle handles or if possible get the 300 E. In reality, you are just getting a .7 lower gear ratio, insignificant regarding cranking speed (since you can just reel in faster) but very noticeable when cranking power is needed, and paddle handle for about 10-20 less dollars. Also, it is a better swimbaiter reel.

Cheney

SkateAndDestroy
Jun 10, 2010
Oceanside, Ca
Name
Cheney
Boat
none
I just swapped out the handle with the paddle handle from my Revo Toro and all the problems went away. It was definitely caused by the weight imbalance on the 300EJ power handle. I would call them tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath that they will fix it. If they increased the flyweight on the opposite side, it may fix the problem.

Its definitely a nice reel, but if they can't fix it, I will just sell or trade it in. I've had enough headaches from this Shimano reel. The only reason I bought this over the standard is because of the nice power handle. I actually prefer the slower speed ratio of the regular 300E reel (6:1) since you get more power per crank.
let me know if you decide to sell it :D

dennykrb

Dennykrb
Oct 5, 2005
Gardena
Name
Denny K
Boat
Kelp Paddy
I agree,,,The power handle is the problem,,,,,the same with the Calcutta 400 LJV.....The forward motion when casting with extra effort will turn the handle and thus engage the gear from freespool position. This also blows up the "pinion gear and the reel becomes useless while out on the water. I have the same problem and right now,,,Shimano is out of stock on the parts.....This sucks but they are great reels. Maybe a larger counterbalance nob is the answer.....

sc400dude

Dropshotter
May 19, 2006
Ventura,Ca
Name
Phamtaztik
Boat
2007 Champion 200 Elite - "El Pero Aquatico"
I think the Calcutta wooden knob handles will also work...it's counter balanced and the knob is light...finding one is tough though. You should call Shimano and see if they'd swap out your current power handle for the wooden one.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I'm going to try to remove all grease from the on the clutch cam on the reel. Maybe that will add enough friction to prevent it from moving. I'm still a little disappointed at Shimano designers.

When I put the reel in freespool, I can see the knob drops to the bottom like a brick. All they had to do is put a balance pin at the center position of the handle to check for the weight distribution. That's how we check for propeller balance on model airplanes. The fix may have been as simple as adding more weight on the counterbalance. They probably just went cheap by reusing existing parts from other reels instead of creating a new weight.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Just got back from a 7 day, and used my 300 EJ for bass at Cedros, and never once had the handle engage the reel, and I was flinging that baby on a 9' rod.

Of course I'm left handed, and it may be right handed folk may be bumping the handle when the reel is rotated on the cast.

By the way the bass fishing was most excellent, plus 2 YT in the 20# class.

getemwet

Mar 2, 2010
seal beach, ca
Name
george
Boat
No
I never had that problem ever and all I used it for was jigs and plastic. Sold it though and am thoroughly happy with my revo.