pescadorrr

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2013
Seal Beach,CA
Name
Pescadorrr
Boat
Parker 1801
Got a brand new Ford F-250 diesel and a brand new Pacific trailer. Drove both across the country to NC to get my boat. No problems. Came back, put boat in the water then took boat and trailer to Pacific for final fitment. Got everything back and when I put truck in reverse, brakes locked up. No blown fuses. Went back to pacific, Ernie put a trailer tester plug in the outlet on back of truck, had me put truck in reverse, said no power to center pin.
Anyone ever experience this problem?
Pacific even put a brand new actuator on.
I bought a trailer plug tester with led lights. Running lights, turn signals all lit up except for reverse. Took truck to dealership, they first said there was a short, tore everything apart, inspected wires, relay, harness etc then said they hooked up their software and it says it works. I still can’t hear an audible click in the solenoid when I shift into reverse which should send current to the solenoid. You should always hear this click, if it’s working correctly, right? It’s a UFO A-60 actuator.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Plug a different trailer to your truck to confirm dealer tech's diagnoses.

Did you inspect the wire connections inside the round plug. Maybe reverse wire has a bad contact. Locate the reverse wire and tighten all wire connectors. Could be a bad crimping on a connector.

Are you able to reverse with the side lock out key?

Replace the fuse for the trailer brakes in the truck's fuse compartment if it has one.

Remove the solenoid and test it with a 12v battery. Should make a clicking sound.

Upvote 0

pescadorrr

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2013
Seal Beach,CA
Name
Pescadorrr
Boat
Parker 1801
If I put the key in, I can reverse no problem. Can I test the solenoid with a 12 volt battery through the seven pin plug? Otherwise, how would you suggest I wire things to do the test? Thanks!

Upvote 0

pescadorrr

Almost A Member
Feb 8, 2013
Seal Beach,CA
Name
Pescadorrr
Boat
Parker 1801
Also, would anyone know with all the fancy electronics and computers cars have these days how the truck would detect that a trailer is connected versus just a trailer plug being used to test current?

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
If you don't have 12v on the center pin of the female connector of the truck you can replace the actuator 20 times and have the same results. If your truck is under warranty I wouldn't mess with it take it to a differant dealership since the one you went to doesn't know what they are doing. This should be a very easy fix. If they say the software says everything is fine tell them to connect a voltmeter to that center pin and show there's 12v there. Should be a 10 amp fuse, number 43. No 12v no worky right.

1620404569449.png

Last edited:
pescadorrr
pescadorrr
Mike, you are spot on. Going to different dealer in the future. It took them all week to figure out what I told them when I dropped it off. It's a fuse!!! They claim the shop manual and the Ford wiring schematic were different. And the guy was suppose to be a Master electrical mechanic.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
always disconnect the trailer trailer pug when putting your boat in or taking it out of the water ... that way you never have to worry about a electrical short from the water ,

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
If you don't have 12v on the center pin of the female connector of the truck that's where the problem is period. My Chevy truck has a dedicated fuse for that. A new actuator won't do anything, you need 12v on that pin. If your truck is under warranty I wouldn't mess with it let the dealership fix it. If they say the software says everything is fine tell them to connect a voltmeter to that center pin and show there's 12v there.
I would take this advice.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
Do the reverse lights come on when you put in reverse? If not, there should be a reverse sensor on the side of the tranny. The sensor might be bad.

Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
always disconnect the trailer trailer pug when putting your boat in or taking it out of the water ... that way you never have to worry about a electrical short from the water ,
With disc brakes on the trailer, the plug has to be connected or the brake lockout solenoid will not work. The solinoid is connected to the reverse light so when the circuit is energized, the solenoid is engaged. The solenoid when energized, keeps hydraulic fluid from activating the brakes when put into reverse . Without this, the brakes lock up instantly when the trailer goes backwards.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
With disc brakes on the trailer, the plug has to be connected or the brake lockout solenoid will not work. The solinoid is connected to the reverse light so when the circuit is energized, the solenoid is engaged. The solenoid when energized, keeps hydraulic fluid from activating the brakes when put into reverse . Without this, the brakes lock up instantly when the trailer goes backwards.
only if you are pushing up hill, as long as you dont compress the trailer hudraulic actuator for the surge brakes... the brakes will not cone on . or you can add a block of wood so the actuator can not engage .

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Might be a stupid question, But are you getting power to that center pin when you put it in reverse, without the trailer connected?

Upvote 0

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    I asked that question last week, still waiting for him to reply.

Might be a stupid question, But are you getting power to that center pin when you put it in reverse, without the trailer connected?

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0