af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I know a lot of the issue will be dry stacking.It will require loosing some staterooms and heads on the long range boat and plans will need to go through CoastGuard.To the boat owners the juice might be worth the squeeze and they sell the boats for other use and out of our state.Its just ROI at that point.IMO,wood boats would be the first to retire.Tom

Reactions: ahidog
Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
All this may be a moot argument....they are experimenting with all electric engines at present...battery longivity is improving with new iron-air batteries that may outlive the lithium batteries, both in length of time and holding a charge better...me, I plan to buy one of the electric flying boats for catalina trips....:) Only $135,000 and 200 mph speeds....

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Again I think tier 4 diesels will be phased in on new boats. Technology is there already.

Outside of regulations like denying me my freedom to dump my 2 stroke oil into the drinking water of hundreds of thousands of people so I can chase some green bass they will not make you or anybody else pull your running engine and replace it with a tier 4 engine. When you wear your engine out and go to replace it then yes likely you will be required to replace it with the most modern equipment available.

Clean air and water are a good thing.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
All this may be a moot argument....they are experimenting with all electric engines at present...battery longivity is improving with new iron-air batteries that may outlive the lithium batteries, both in length of time and holding a charge better...me, I plan to buy one of the electric flying boats for catalina trips....:) Only $135,000 and 200 mph speeds....

Electric power is still a ways off for the size of boats in the SD fleet.

WOW!! With your flying boat you'll be passin the helos of the rich and famous on the way to Avalon!! :D

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Again I think tier 4 diesels will be phased in on new boats. Technology is there already.

Outside of regulations like denying me my freedom to dump my 2 stroke oil into the drinking water of hundreds of thousands of people so I can chase some green bass they will not make you or anybody else pull your running engine and replace it with a tier 4 engine. When you wear your engine out and go to replace it then yes likely you will be required to replace it with the most modern equipment available.

Clean air and water are a good thing.
Except that the technology isn't there. No one is manufacturing a tier-4 engine below 2,000 hp. And in larger engines, the technology isn't feasible in "smaller" boats, even if it could be scaled. There needs to be a balance, but here technology is leading regulations because of idiotic political support. Save your support for ideas that make sense.

Reactions: skrilla
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Except that the technology isn't there. No one is manufacturing a tier-4 engine below 2,000 hp. And in larger engines, the technology isn't feasible in "smaller" boats, even if it could be scaled. There needs to be a balance, but here technology is leading regulations because of idiotic political support. Save your support for ideas that make sense.
We've already been here in the commercial truck space, where I live. Boats are about seven years behind.

The tech will get there. The Cat engine is already in play in land based commercial uses.

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
The technology advances because the demand drives it. Sometimes the demand is forced upon an industry as it was on the auto industry so many decades ago. If we left it up to consumer demand alone we would be driving cars that given the number of cars in this state would be spewing WAY too much into the air we breath because it would be cheaper in the short term. Of course that doesn't include the cost in health issues like asthma and lead poisoning.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
This regulation is very important so we can save lots of cute sea lions and seals. What the world needs is more cute sea lions and seals.

1627399002231.png

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Not enough notice. Some boats just repowered

Never paid much attention to politics until the last 18 months. I belong to no political party. I'm totally confused how Team Newsom, Pelosi, Harris, Hunter, Biden, Hillary, Ocasio Cortez, Lori Lightfoot, Maxine Waters, Ted Wheeler, Cuamo, Michael Obama, Barack Obama, ect supporters. Can think these people are cool and good?
    The term “brain washed” comes to mind.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Instead of recalling quit voting for them in the first place.

Time to reform voter fraud. That's been going on for way too long. With both dominate party's. One side does it more then the other

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    Yo dude I’m pretty sure the NLA and the Mission Belle both run 8.3 Cummins or something like that. Those engines stock only produce about 400HP. Remember that in a boat, what’s really moving you along is the propeller turning and essentially grabbing water, not maximizing how much power you can deliver into the ground to get your super lifted F250 going 90 in the carpool lane. Most boats are a twin screw as well, keep that in mind. The reason why boats use diesel is because of the torque, not the horsepower dude. All you have to do is keep the props (which are calibrated to the boat) spinning. You’re just spewing off bullshit to these guys.

I believe the Grande only runs two 10L Cummins, don’t know the exact size.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    There is a political board for this. Adds nothing to this thread.

I think it's relevant. I don't understand how some people. Continue to be re-elected. Furthering their plans

I said both party's

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    It's not losing sportfishing it's losing old ass beat down sport boats.

Reactions: flytie

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot

If the only sector affected by the latest proposed regulation were the sportfishing fleet your point would be valid. The regulations will include just about everything that has not been cleaned up to this point including plenty of heavy equipment, The low hanging fruit has been picked some time ago.

Over the last 45 years or so I have spent plenty of time in the ports of LA/LB including work and pleasure. I lived onboard for about 5 years around the turn of the last century and currently have a boat in the port of LA. When I was involved more with the San Pedro Yacht Club we had a member who was very involved in the Wilmington community working with the port trying to clean up the air. I have seen plenty of the data on just how bad it was for the communities around the port. I don't care about what I breath but it seems to be very unfair to continue dumping the crap in the air on the surrounding communities when a big part of those doing it are making plenty of money. If a widget from china cost a few cents more to someone in Kansas it is past time that those who benefit from port operations (basically most everyone in the country) share a small part of the pain that communities around the port have been living with for many decades.

The proposed new regulations won't start till 2023 and the affected will have up to 6 years to comply. That will give the time needed to sort out the technology. to get it into "smaller" vessels. No doubt there will be a few that will have a hard time dealing with the upgrades/cost to clean it up. I hope that with grant money and some exemptions their pain can be minimized. Bottom line it is the cost of doing business in the state with the biggest GDP of any state.

While some substantial improvements have been made there is still plenty to do. I see plenty of heavy equipment spewing a lot of smoke. I would be surprised if they are even on tier2 engines judging by the smoke.. Time to clean it up.

Upvote 0