Private tuna trip on New Buccaneer May

Discussion in 'Texas Fishing Reports' started by scubaarchery, Mar 19, 2019.

1. scubaarchery

scubaarchery ScubaArchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    The New Buccaneer has agreed to offer a 56 hour private 360 trip from 7:30 on May 27 to 3:30pm on May 29th. This was originally a 360 tuna trip but i am expanding it to get the 30 people needed to sail (we have 10). Cost will be $700 per person. This is a private trip and is not offered to the public until May 1, after May 1, if we don't have enough to sail, it will open to a public trip.

The plan is to hit the rig with the most tuna action based on recent trips (historically, this has been Boomvang and Nancen in May). Based on where the tuna are we will bottom fish from 1-3 days (on the way out, on day 2 and on the way back) depending upon where we have to run to find the fish.

If weather prohibits the trip lasting the full two days, we will run a normal 30 hr trip and they will refund $350.

This trip is private and is not posted on their website so you have to call the office to book and pay. Tell them you want to book on the 360 Tuna Private Charter and they will be able to book you.

Check out their website for details about the boat if you have not fished it before:
    https://www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com/

Call them at 409-763-5423 to book.

Check out this thread for more details about the trip and what to bring.

https://www.360tuna.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-gom-partyboat-fishing-for-tuna.49616/#post-523159

This should be an epic trip. They do not normally run 2 day trips...

2. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Last trip came back with 52 YFT and 102 black fin but that was a one night trip!

3. Don Boulis

Don Boulis member

Name:
    Don Boulis
    Boat:
    Reel Faith
    Was your previous trip the same time of year? I’ve never fished this boat. What unique rules do they have? Line, gear or teqnique restrictions and such. Will they bottom fish or troll during the day? I’m pretty interested and know a couple others that may be as well. Figured I’d put the questions and answers out for everyone. I’ll PM you if I’m in.

4. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Don, thank you for the questions. The trip that I referenced in the last post just sailed this week. The New Buccaneer normally does not offer a 56 hour trip they normally offer 30 hour trips. This trip is a special request to the captain which is why it’s a private trip. I worked with Captain Matt to determine the best time in the summer to fish based on his past year’s experiences. He recommended this timeframe due to the normal catch rates in May. If we are able to do well on both nights we could potentially limit out on yellow fin (3 fish per person) as well as an unlimited number of blackfin tuna. He does not troll during the day due to the speed that he has to travel to reach bottom fishing grounds. Instead we will travel to the closest bottom fishing locations and bottom fish during the day. If you review his website you will see there are some outstanding bottom fishing days.

If you reference the links above you will see the recommended fishing gear. I normally take three combos, one overhead casting for popping and stickbaits, one for conventional jigging and live bait, and one spinning jigging combo.

Please contact me if you have any additional questions or post the questions here for others to see! I hope you can join!

5. Don Boulis

Don Boulis member

Name:
    Don Boulis
    Boat:
    Reel Faith
    Thanks for the quick answers. I know one of the boats out of there doesn’t allow overhead casting. Wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting into that kind of thing. Top water bite is a blast when it’s on. How many spots to fill before you know it’s a going to sail, minus the weather consideration of course.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  6. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    The New Buccaneer allows overhead casting. We cast from the bow and stern corners. On the last trip, most tuna were on Halco 130 stickbaits. We had 10 last count and need 30 so bring a crew with you. Hopefully this trip will sail and we will be able to run 1-2 56 hour trips per year. I have to drive down from Dallas so want the extra night in case we have one bad night!

7. Don Boulis

Don Boulis member

Name:
    Don Boulis
    Boat:
    Reel Faith
    I’ll let you know.

8. hagridfish

hagridfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    None
    I've heard a lot of boats down that way don't allow spectra either. Is that true?

9. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    I am glad that I posted this thread. This gives me a lot of opportunity to clear up some misconceptions. You are allowed to use braided line, and in fact that is all that I use. You do not have to add a long fluorocarbon top shot like you might use out west. I normally have a 15 foot wind on leader that I use but everything else is 80 pound braid.

10. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    As of today we are up to 14 so we are looking for a few good fishermen or fisherwomen!

11. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Here out West (San Diego, Ca) We typically use straight spectra with a short top shot, as short as 3'. Why do they (the boats) hang the tuna from the bridge, the bow and the sides of the boat, I see this on a lot of the boats in the Gulf? One would think that, they preserve better on ice or in a fish brine/hold??

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Olddog8 likes this.
  12. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Thanks for clarifying on the topshot. We do the same in Texas. I prefer the window because I suck at knots. The deckhands put the fish in a slurry then gut them and put them on ice. They hang them up when we get close to the dock for photo opportunities and to help unload all of the fish quickly. As soon as we hit the dock they start calling off numbers to unload the fish...

kevina likes this.
  13. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Latest trip was epic. I think we are up to 15...

We got in today off of another great trip, this weeks trip was even better than last weeks.
    The weather was better than forecasted, we only got beat up for a short 20 mile stretch just inshore of our bottom fishing area. The weather for the rest of the trip was decent and at night the wind just about completely died and the seas calmed right on down.
    Bottom fishing was good, first couple of spots were a slow-medium pick and the last spot was on fire. The guys that stayed with small bait for the most part got their two day limit of Beeliners.
    The first couple drifts of the night were pretty slow but by 9 we were steadily picking 3-4 Yellows and 30 Blacks per drift with a few drifts producing double digits of Yellows. The fishing was good until 2:30 am when it pretty much died. We went through a lull from 2:30-4:00 and picked up some more fish after that. The YFT were caught on Jigs and Halcos with just a few coming off chunks. We had a big Mako boatside within 30 seconds of being hooked and we had 6 gaffs in him, I thought for sure that should have gotten the job done but he had other ideas. He broke one gaff and bit 3 or 4 more in half. After that fiasco was over we destroyed half the gaffs on the boat and the Mako is still swimming around somewhere out there with some jewelry. Mako 1 us 0.
    It was a fun and exciting trip and we had lots of familiar faces on the boat which always makes it even better.
    Trip totals....
    56 YFT
    274 BFT
    458 Beeliners
    1 Mangrove Snapper
    3 Scamp
    1 Ling
    3 AlmacoJack
    and a few other miscellaneous fish.

Olddog8 likes this.
  14. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Few more spots left if anyone wants to join!

15. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Still looking for a few more people!

16. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Overall bottom fishing was epic, tuna slow. Tuna hammer limited on YFT at Magnolia but yellows were few and far between. Interestingly we caught many undersized yellows and some huge black fin.

My detailed report is as follows:
    First drop was a shallow drop for bliner. I went with a pinfish on the bottom hoping for a scamp but ended up with an AJ that showed me around the boat. He will be ready for AJ season. Matt recommend sticking to squid for b-liner due to the large numbers of AJ so I switched to my three jig rig. Unfortunately the bliner were on the small side so I was skunked on the first stop.

Next stop was in deeper water. I went with a simple two hook bottom rig and landed a couple of decent bliner and some smaller ones.

Third stop, back to the pinfish this time with success! I had two hookups resulting in two scamp.

End of day 1 for me was pretty light from a bottom fishing results but I was happy with the two scamps.

Tomwakley had the hot rod. He was fishing with his son Colin and they landed a huge scamp, a huge wahoo and Colin also entertained a nice AJ.

The wahoo hooked itself on the anchor rope and while the crew were raising the anchor to release it, a tiger shark showed up and bit off its tail! Several people caught that on video.

We were off to the tuna grounds so used that time to run the raffle and distribute the goodies from Deadhead, striker and Fast fight.

We arrived at Auger first and even though there were no busts on the surface, I decided to throw a Halco. Several of us were throwing off the bow and getting the occasional hookup. On my second cast I hooked a fish that started ripping of drag like a yellow but head shaking like a black fin. Turned out to be a nice blackfin.

We picked up a couple of blackfin but overall Auger was pretty slow so we headed to the drill ship. Again a few big blackfin but no yellows so off to Magnolia. That is where we started picking up yellowfin, initially on the Halco but Tunahammer had the hot rod picking up three yellows on the jig. I bounced back and forth between Halcos and jigging and ended up with a second blackfin but no yellows. After sunrise we slow boated to the deep water bottom fishing.

Over the next stops, i went through my squidpinfish combination and ended up hooking a nice lesser amberjack.
    A bunch of people were catching queens so I opted to go with the standard two hook bottom rig. The first fish i hooked was a yellow eyed toro. After a massive tangle I move to the other side of the boat and picked up 4 queen snapper and 4 bliners. I endedday 2 with 2 scamp, 6 beeliner, four queen snapper, the toro, the lesser AJ and twoblackfin.

We started tuna fishing on Gunnison and I again went with the Halco. I caught a YFT and a nice blackfin and then the top water died. I joined Tumahammer jigging in the back and used the same jig he had to catch a massive blackfin head and another big blackfin with a love bite from a cuda. There were tons of smaller blackfin around but they went into the bait pile. Tomwakely and his son Colin both caught yellowfin and Colin had a taste of heart!

On the return home we did one more deep drop. I didn’t catch anything but the boat caught a nice 80lb ish Warsaw, a nice yellow edge grouper and some other fish.

The Captain and crew did a great job as always. I can’t thank Matt enough for putting us on the fish and the deckhands for helping us catch them. Also Ana in addition to her normal menu offered full cooked meals (grilled steak or chicken breast with grilled squash and asparagus) for $7. That was pretty awesome! I never take pictures while I am fishing but did take some pictures of the food!

I am not sure if the December trip has spots but if so grab them! I willl check with Matt to see when we can schedule the next one!

0B295D62-94BE-4507-90A4-3A46CE8AD151.jpeg 6DAA5151-4920-495E-AEF3-84C093368E6E.jpeg 53C27AEF-D495-4495-BC0B-8F33CF36CAA3.jpeg AE12104C-B526-43C0-9DDE-C57C8E44FCD6.jpeg 65508E94-5EC8-4B35-A1F1-EDA514476BDB.jpeg 3189E14F-92B2-4C5D-8C9B-37BF26707C13.jpeg 0ED5D17B-A5A3-48F0-96F6-07C0B4DF0623.jpeg

Striker Tackle likes this.
  17. johnybass

johnybass Pescador

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Tube
  18. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    Camo and Sandals.

I LOVE IT !

19. scubaarchery

Name:
    Eric Dulin
    Lol, fish blood is hard to get out but on those clothes, who notices!

20. Jig Strike

Jig Strike . . . new and improved

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    Ho Ho Ho
    I learned my lesson on sandals.
    Fishing Ensenada with four buddies.
    Someone caught a Sculpin and it got stuffed into one of the potato sacks hung around the bait well.

I walked up and rammed my big toe into a dorsal spine.

I don't think I need to finish the story. :rolleyes: