Private Boaters PLEASE stop taking Stupid Pills!!!

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Just got off a 1 1/2 day trip on a sport boat from Diego. We went to SCI in the hopes of catching a few of the 50-85lb Bluefin that recently have been swimming around. Captain sets up on a sonar mark. Private boat comes right up on us from about a mile away. I would say about 200 feet off our stern. They were EXTREMELY close. We asked that he move further away. Captain said over the pa system that we are just going to hurt each other if and when any fish decide to bite. Thankfully, the crew immediately stopped two passengers from dangerously responding and throwing things at the other boat. Sure enough, we immediately got bit. Two fish hanging and the private boat tangled both of them. We lost both fish. Our captain was surprisingly very calm when he asked the private to get further away again. No avail. The private got bit. Unfortunately, their 1 fish wrapped about 3 of our lines. Thirty seconds later they lost their fish. Combined total score, 0 fish for 3 hook ups. Seriously, what the F. Both boats are over 60 miles from the mainland in the open ocean and we are doing this crap to each other? We asked them to move again. They fired up the engine and moved to about 150-200 feet off our bow. Yes, I'm talking feet not yards! They were REALLY REALLY close. You didn't need a pa system and didn't have to shout in order to have a conversation. They lost one more due to their arrogance and we lost one more because of them. They still wouldn't leave us alone. We left for another area. Temporary total score, 2 boats, 0 for 5 hookups. Thank you very much. We ended up with a couple fish a couple miles away but we were obviously concerned about the same boat tracking us down. Perhaps after loosing a couple 50-85lb tuna themselves they thought maybe they should fish more than 200 feet away from other boats. They certainly didn't care about the 3 fish they cost us. This occurred on Thursday 10/6 several miles off San Clemente Island. I'm not saying all private boaters are a problem. I'm describing the behavior of only ONE obnoxious individual private boat operator out of the 1000's of private boat owners that exist in California. I'm thankful that I'm not running a sport boat in order to make a living.
I would rather go alone and pay for everything than have to go Puppy Dog the Sport Fleet just so your buddy's don't start crying there getting ripped off and that's the only place the fish are. Find your own fish Cry Babies it's a big ocean?

Last edited:

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Those in the know will typically use their radar and binoculars to locate a flotilla of sport boats. Once said flotilla is located, its game on and time to get to fishin'. That's what I do; and I'm a professional.
I knew he was a Professional Kook when he said Flottilla...lol. Just another lost Puppy, come here boy we will wipe our Butt for you too Mr. Professional.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
Times like these would be a good time to break out some saved..old used sabikis and cheap pastic floats fishing old 15 lb mono....let the rig drift past the offender's boat who is parked too close downcurrent...be it private or sporty, and then start jigging back vigorously to "make bait". A big bonita splasher might also be good for this to get out to the side if they're off to either side of you. Once tangled up nicely, mysteriously your line "snaps" but thats ok...you have 10 more old rigs ready to tie on until the invader leaves or respects your position. Just a thought

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
This thread is not meant for everyone that has/operates a private skiff, but I see it happen wayyyyyy more often than not. When a sport fisher is set up and has a established chum line going, why in Gods name do you guys get in their chum line, instead of abeam of them? Is it just a "F++K em" attitude, or are they really that ignorant to the unwritten rules of boats and setting up on a spot? Way more $ than brains.
I am being temperate; A 'Skiff' refers to a flat bottomed row boat more times than not. Yes there are some variances, but as a whole this is the meaning of the word Skiff. This attitude that the 'Sportfisher' AKA: Commercial Cattle Boats have with the 'Skiff Mentality' is BS. This complaint you have offered up as a passenger I take it is a fraction of what the private Sportfisher Captains/Skippers must endure during a fishing season. The Commercial Skippers for the most part can be reasonable, but make no mistake they are encroaching bully's as well. This Skiff mentality seems to lead to somehow they have more rights, or have some type of priority to a school of fish..How about Fuck you, eat shit and die you assholes. A passenger shooting off his mouth has very little dog in the fight. Start paying the cost of ownership, taxes, bait, launch and parking and liability insurance along with towing and you will quickly see that on a monetary note for us blue collar workers it is a pretty big deal to get pushed off, drifted down on and treated as a lesser craft. I personally steer clear of most Commercial Sportboats unless they come up and anchor near me. If I am drifting and Mr. Dickwad sets up a drift above me and in no time at all is on me..Fuck HIS lack of seamanship. I do not throw sinkers and jigs at his cattle, I merely get upwind and start over...This "Skiff Mentality" BS will not ever stop because of pure unadulterated ignorance and sense of entitlement....Stay away from me.....Ap

Bring It On

Bring It On Fishing
Jul 6, 2013
At The Helm
Name
Jason
Boat
Bring It On
(Minnow) what is that a float tube? :supergay:

Skiffs as you call them holds 2 scoops at max sport fishers hold 20. Dumb ass question! Work smarter not Harder.:finger:
Thanks SportFishers :D

cbadcrew

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 1, 2008
carlsbad ca
Name
joeb1
Boat
2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
This message goes for sport boats also. Seen it as a passenger on sport boats and as an angler on my own boat. If you happen to be on "THEIR SPOT" they will not only drive up your chum line, but continue to drive it right up your stern, if you know what I mean. Now if you are in a Fiat and a big rig figures you are in his "SPOT", you better just eat your humble pie.
Took the words right out of my mouth
I've been bendo and had the sporty pull up ( no radio request) & just " join" our party.

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
This thread is not meant for everyone that has/operates a private skiff, but I see it happen wayyyyyy more often than not.

When a sport fisher is set up and has a established chum line going, why in Gods name do you guys get in their chum line, instead of abeam of them? Is it just a "F++K em" attitude, or are they really that ignorant to the unwritten rules of boats and setting up on a spot? Way more $ than brains.
it's so that they can get in their chum line and catch more fish. duh!

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
Those in the know will typically use their radar and binoculars to locate a flotilla of sport boats. Once said flotilla is located, its game on and time to get to fishin'. That's what I do; and I'm a professional.
professional what?

Reactions: Hardcor

sdjfish

Deck Ape
Mar 26, 2003
escondido
Visit site
Name
steve
Boat
2320 Parker, Tracker
Bad weather, seals, bad bait, other boats with more bait, other boats with the low talent warning light permanently on and boats drifting through your spot. I guess we are all entitled to a pleasant day and a limit of fish every time we open the wallet to follow our passion. Pfffffffffffffff!

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
Just got off a 1 1/2 day trip on a sport boat from Diego. We went to SCI in the hopes of catching a few of the 50-85lb Bluefin that recently have been swimming around. Captain sets up on a sonar mark. Private boat comes right up on us from about a mile away. I would say about 200 feet off our stern. They were EXTREMELY close. We asked that he move further away. Captain said over the pa system that we are just going to hurt each other if and when any fish decide to bite. Thankfully, the crew immediately stopped two passengers from dangerously responding and throwing things at the other boat. Sure enough, we immediately got bit. Two fish hanging and the private boat tangled both of them. We lost both fish. Our captain was surprisingly very calm when he asked the private to get further away again. No avail. The private got bit. Unfortunately, their 1 fish wrapped about 3 of our lines. Thirty seconds later they lost their fish. Combined total score, 0 fish for 3 hook ups. Seriously, what the F. Both boats are over 60 miles from the mainland in the open ocean and we are doing this crap to each other? We asked them to move again. They fired up the engine and moved to about 150-200 feet off our bow. Yes, I'm talking feet not yards! They were REALLY REALLY close. You didn't need a pa system and didn't have to shout in order to have a conversation. They lost one more due to their arrogance and we lost one more because of them. They still wouldn't leave us alone. We left for another area. Temporary total score, 2 boats, 0 for 5 hookups. Thank you very much. We ended up with a couple fish a couple miles away but we were obviously concerned about the same boat tracking us down. Perhaps after loosing a couple 50-85lb tuna themselves they thought maybe they should fish more than 200 feet away from other boats. They certainly didn't care about the 3 fish they cost us. This occurred on Thursday 10/6 several miles off San Clemente Island. I'm not saying all private boaters are a problem. I'm describing the behavior of only ONE obnoxious individual private boat operator out of the 1000's of private boat owners that exist in California. I'm thankful that I'm not running a sport boat in order to make a living.
Unfortunately, it's only going to get worse.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
There are plenty of numb fucks on both sides of the fence. I've had sport boats charge right up my trolling spread, run by me at full speed 30 feet from my stern and bump me off of spots I was on for hours before they got there. I've had private boaters anchor 20 feet from me, run over my trollers and just generally shut down bites by being clueless and/or careless.

It's just shit you have to deal with fishing So Cal. Fishing mid-week helps a lot.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Ahh man.. Hardcore is the best!

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
This is the new breed. They want it handed to them. No more sportsmanship. No more etiquette. The new radars show the name of the boat and which way it's turning. The Gyro's show what boat has more hooked up so you can steal more and laugh a much louder. After breakfast we see you guy's coming full blast out of the harbors looking hard for stopped boats instead of sign's of fish. I don't get as many these days because of the camera's but some of them just don't care and wear it like a badge.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Have seen this happen up here, as well. Captain on a salmon boat got really pissed at a guy mooching in the trolling lanes. Really dumb.

Last edited:

ryanm

Cracker
Oct 12, 2004
alta loma, california
Name
ryan
Boat
19,seaswirl, crackers
Hell, sometimes I just wait outside the break wall for the sporty of my choice to leave on their way to the fishin' grounds. I don't make it obvious cuz that would be embarrassing. Then, I just follow em nice and slow like a ninja till they lead me to the promise land.

Reactions: RockyGizmo

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Hell, sometimes I just wait outside the break wall for the sporty of my choice to leave on their way to the fishin' grounds. I don't make it obvious cuz that would be embarrassing. Then, I just follow em nice and slow like a ninja till they lead me to the promise land.

Reactions: monster1