Private Boaters PLEASE stop taking Stupid Pills!!!

Mark Riv

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mark
Boat
Minnow
This thread is not meant for everyone that has/operates a private skiff, but I see it happen wayyyyyy more often than not.

When a sport fisher is set up and has a established chum line going, why in Gods name do you guys get in their chum line, instead of abeam of them? Is it just a "F++K em" attitude, or are they really that ignorant to the unwritten rules of boats and setting up on a spot? Way more $ than brains.

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
This thread is not meant for everyone that has/operates a private skiff, but I see it happen wayyyyyy more often than not.

When a sport fisher is set up and has a established chum line going, why in Gods name do you guys get in their chum line, instead of abeam of them? Is it just a "F++K em" attitude, or are they really that ignorant to the unwritten rules of boats and setting up on a spot? Way more $ than brains.
You can lead a horse to the water, But you can't make it drink it.

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Two types of people do this....those that don't know better and those that don't care. With those that don't know you might get through, those that don't care it's futile to try and get them to extend common courtesy.

Last edited:

Steelhead1

Aug 8, 2009
Camarillo, CA
Name
Casey
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 250
Was on a sport boat yesterday SCI (slow fishing) and had a Parker literally 20ft off our bow and somehow they thought that was ok; to top it off, they were pissed when the captain nicely asked them to leave before they hit our anchor line

Reactions: maurice escobedo

Ryan Gay

Jul 31, 2015
Oklahoma
Name
Joe Ski
Boat
19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
This message goes for sport boats also. Seen it as a passenger on sport boats and as an angler on my own boat. If you happen to be on "THEIR SPOT" they will not only drive up your chum line, but continue to drive it right up your stern, if you know what I mean. Now if you are in a Fiat and a big rig figures you are in his "SPOT", you better just eat your humble pie.

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
Was on a sport boat yesterday SCI (slow fishing) and had a Parker literally 20ft off our bow and somehow they thought that was ok; to top it off, they were pissed when the captain nicely asked them to leave before they hit our anchor line
Some douch did the same thing when I was on the Polaris last month. It was funny to watch them get tangled around the anchor by a big bluefin. But that did t stop them. They reset and fucked of the kite baits as well.

maurice escobedo

Counselor
Oct 25, 2016
United States
Name
Esteban
Boat
sold
I'm new to boating so thank you for posting this. Not that I would have done it in the first place, I've been fishing long enough to know better, but this was educational

ryanm

Cracker
Oct 12, 2004
alta loma, california
Name
ryan
Boat
19,seaswirl, crackers
Those in the know will typically use their radar and binoculars to locate a flotilla of sport boats. Once said flotilla is located, its game on and time to get to fishin'. That's what I do; and I'm a professional.

Reactions: bparker1225

calicobassguy

No pants on
Jan 8, 2011
Moorpark/CA/USA
Name
Steve
Boat
Bendo
Just got off a 1 1/2 day trip on a sport boat from Diego. We went to SCI in the hopes of catching a few of the 50-85lb Bluefin that recently have been swimming around. Captain sets up on a sonar mark. Private boat comes right up on us from about a mile away. I would say about 200 feet off our stern. They were EXTREMELY close. We asked that he move further away. Captain said over the pa system that we are just going to hurt each other if and when any fish decide to bite. Thankfully, the crew immediately stopped two passengers from dangerously responding and throwing things at the other boat. Sure enough, we immediately got bit. Two fish hanging and the private boat tangled both of them. We lost both fish. Our captain was surprisingly very calm when he asked the private to get further away again. No avail. The private got bit. Unfortunately, their 1 fish wrapped about 3 of our lines. Thirty seconds later they lost their fish. Combined total score, 0 fish for 3 hook ups. Seriously, what the F. Both boats are over 60 miles from the mainland in the open ocean and we are doing this crap to each other? We asked them to move again. They fired up the engine and moved to about 150-200 feet off our bow. Yes, I'm talking feet not yards! They were REALLY REALLY close. You didn't need a pa system and didn't have to shout in order to have a conversation. They lost one more due to their arrogance and we lost one more because of them. They still wouldn't leave us alone. We left for another area. Temporary total score, 2 boats, 0 for 5 hookups. Thank you very much. We ended up with a couple fish a couple miles away but we were obviously concerned about the same boat tracking us down. Perhaps after loosing a couple 50-85lb tuna themselves they thought maybe they should fish more than 200 feet away from other boats. They certainly didn't care about the 3 fish they cost us. This occurred on Thursday 10/6 several miles off San Clemente Island. I'm not saying all private boaters are a problem. I'm describing the behavior of only ONE obnoxious individual private boat operator out of the 1000's of private boat owners that exist in California. I'm thankful that I'm not running a sport boat in order to make a living.

Last edited:

Johnny Sixgun

Go where the fleet isn't
Sep 7, 2014
N32.45 W117
Name
John
Boat
TTT
The guy I fish w does this constantly. I cringe whenever I see a sportboat cause I know what's gonna happen. It's very uncomfortable being on a boat that does that. I always tell him to back off, watch out, stay away, etc...
Honestly, I don't know what he really thinks. He just says, "we're fine, we're ok." But clearly we're not.

Reactions: RockyGizmo

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Guys,do you ever really watch how the chum swims up current?How many times on a sport boat do you see fish boil off the bow?If no current the chum just goes helter skelter.If im in a crowded spot with lots of boats I try to go up swell off the bow where your far enough away where their or our jigs dont interfere.It allows the use of their and your chum.FWIW,Tom

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Guys,do you ever really watch how the chum swims up current?How many times on a sport boat do you see fish boil off the bow?If no current the chum just goes helter skelter.If im in a crowded spot with lots of boats I try to go up swell off the bow where your far enough away where their or our jigs dont interfere.It allows the use of their and your chum.FWIW,Tom
Plus over half of the boats in the fleet drift stern first causing the chum to be off their bow.

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
The guy I fish w does this constantly. I cringe whenever I see a sportboat cause I know what's gonna happen. It's very uncomfortable being on a boat that does that. I always tell him to back off, watch out, stay away, etc...
Honestly, I don't know what he really thinks. He just says, "we're fine, we're ok." But clearly we're not.
Does his name start with a........? I just stop fishing when that happens it's so lame, but the guys who think they are sooo hard core are the worst puppy's.