PENN

BoxOakland

May 13, 2019
Los Angeles
Name
Box Minassian
Boat
NA
Hi how y'all doin. My friends and I got a private charter for Friday. We are most likely going to Catalina. Some of the fishing reports I've seen and forum posts I've read have been contradicting each other, so I just wanna know any suggestions or words of advice for fishing around the island. What bait have the fish been taking? Are the yellowtails still there or not? Any little bit of advice will do. Thank you

Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
They say the YT are all around the island. But my last 3 trips tell me I suck and can’t catch any. We have used dines, candy, rapalas, and flat falls. Honestly I haven’t even seen another boat bring one over the rail. Was just at Cat yesterday and fished the entire front side east and west ends. Caught bass, sheepshead, barracudas but no yellows. We fished marks from 60’ - 120’.

Was fun but I am getting frustrated at reading awesome reports and getting the ol goose egg for yellows.

Reactions: RodRage
Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
Enjoy the time with your friends and let the charter do their job in finding the fish. But for yellows at catalina you need to find clean water with good amount of current. If you're not getting bit keep moving. There's a lot of yellows at the islands right now you just gotta work for them

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Don’t overthink it an DONT tell The captain what to do, most likely he’s done his research and already has a float plan. I’m heading over Thursday and will post a report .

Upvote 0

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
    Jul 18, 2018
    Dana Point
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    2660WAC Sailfish
    They say the YT are all around the island. But my last 3 trips tell me I suck and can’t catch any. We have used dines, candy, rapalas, and flat falls. Honestly I haven’t even seen another boat bring one over the rail. Was just at Cat yesterday and fished the entire front side east and west ends. Caught bass, sheepshead, barracudas but no yellows. We fished marks from 60’ - 120’.

Was fun but I am getting frustrated at reading awesome reports and getting the ol goose egg for yellows.
    Try a JRI3 or 7 surface iron next time if you're not getting them on sardines

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Personally, I'd be headed to the little island . . . has all that stuff in your avatar and more at the moment. Good Luck!

Upvote 0