Amadeus

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Finally got in an overnight trip on the Pride after having a series of disappointing early season trips.

Fished the tuna pens in rolling conditions. We got in four drifts total. Capt Greg was insistent on 25# fluoro leaders so that's what I started out on. Capt Greg was also insistent on low drag settings and the deckhands went around to every hookup and adjusted accordingly. Got my first BFT on the second drift. Took 20+ mins to land. Crew said it was 50lbs+. It was definitely a "bloody decks" day, so I bloodied up my clothes as well for good measure.

Got my second BFT at 40lbs+ on the third drift, and that was it for the day. 47 BFT for 20 anglers. I came in slightly below the average, but no complaints.

The bigger of my two (the one on the left):

Both of my two (the two lower ones):

Capt Greg called it quits for the day at 12:30pm for the 7.5+ hours ride back to the barn. Went home with about 45lbs of slabs.

Had four set ups with me, and only used the 30lb rig: a Penn Mag Pro 970 on a Okuma Oceanic OC-C-701ML, with 50lb Lo-vis Green Stren Braid main, 30lb Lo-vis Green Berkley Big Game top shot, 25lb & 30lb (yeah, I cheated) Seaguar fluoro leader, and 2/0 circle hooks.

spike

Mar 6, 2006
San Clemente CA
Name
Spike Ivins
Boat
any chance I get
Good report and congrats on good fishing aboard a nice rig!

YellowTail310

Jul 28, 2006
Name
G
Boat
None
Look at his second picture Richard. Very nice report. Thanks.

Boiler Maker

Bruiser Bluefin Expert
Apr 2, 2003
Mira Mesa
Name
Jerry
Boat
AlbieNut
Got my first BFT on the second drift. Took 20+ mins to land. Crew said it was 50lbs+. Got my second BFT at 40lbs+ on the third drift, and that was it for the day. 47 BFT for 20 anglers. I came in slightly below the average, but no complaints.

Pretty funny I was fishing there and thought the same thing about our fish. Thought hey were 40 and 40# + ended up being 33 and 34# at the dock. Not saying your fish weren't that much, just saying they always look bigger.

Jerry

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
D'oh! Stupid me. Instead of just taking the deckhands' word for it, I had a 50lb scale in my gear bag for setting the drags. Should of just measured...

rbfishn

May 15, 2012
Rialto,Ca
Name
Reggie
Boat
47 ok 40+ not even close :hali_olutta:

hooook-up

@fish._.brain
Jul 24, 2008
fountain valley
Name
brian
Boat
19' Starcraft Islander 191 "Boutime"
big one (in 2nd pic) is tagged #6 the other is 14 , i dont think he was saying those are both his fish, just the bigger one.

vdiggy

fish
Jun 7, 2005
Kelp Daddy
Name
Knee Bender
Boat
any
Better eyes can estimate. Always have a scale. Scales trip up even captains. I thought 55lbs cap said 60 scale said 45. Happens. Get a digi and take photo proof plain and simple.

MOHEADRED

BIG KAHUNA
Aug 13, 2012
SAN DIEGO CA.
Name
MO
Boat
24FT KONA KAI SEARAY THE SIN OR SWIM
I'm going out Fri. For a 2.5 day I haven't been tuna fishing in years maybe 12 yrs. I am freaking out. What should I bring and any pointers? Those are very nice tuna brother congradulations!!!

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
If straight mono rigs: 25lb, 30lb, 40lb, and 50lb (maybe).

If using BRAID main, you can getaway with three rigs: a 40lb main (for 20lb, 25lb, & 30lb topshot/leaders), 50lb main (for 25lb, 30lb, & 40lb topshot/leaders), and a 65lb main (for 30lb, 40lb, & 50lb topshot/leaders)

Fluoro leaders: 20lb, 25lb, 30lb, 40lb, & 50lb (maybe). Use 3ft minimum.

Hooks: 1/0 & 2/0 live bait; 2/0, 3/0, & 4/0 (maybe) circles.

Pillowcase to go over the provided pillow (the way they turn the boats back out almost immediately, there's no time to launder anything the boat provides if there was ever any intention of washing).

Two changes of clothing: fish day one with what you wear getting on the boat, one change for day two, and one change for the ride home.

A 50lb or bigger spring scale (Squidco has the best prices): you can set drags and get "exact" weights for fish.

After hookup, don't overpump the rod, let the drag and the rod do their job, and stay calm.

Tight lines!