dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    many say get gear that you walk can painlessly away from.
    Then they will have to steal more, if they are getting less for what they steal, a $20.00 sack, instead of a $50.00 sack!

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
    Jan 30, 2006
    Buena Park, california
    Name
    daniel
    Boat
    Sailfish 176CC
    It's been several years, but me and two of my friends were on Pursuit. On the way back, all of us fell asleep in the galley and as we were about to arrive we find that one of our rod and reel is missing. We report to the deck hand and captain comes up and tell us to look for it on the boat before it stops. This is captain's comment, "you can look through the boat, not much time is left". We never found it, rod was crappy one, reel was not. We told captain, may be rod is thrown out and reel is kept. Captain said, you can search through other's bag, if they are willing to cooperate but we can't force any one, and you can start searching only after we dock. So once boat docks, everyone starts to walk away, and we lost our rod and reel. It's not only about losing $300 set up. But it's how deckhand and captain handled the situation.
    Three of us used to go on Pursuit every year. Not any more. We don't go on party boat anymore at all.
    If anything happens, deckhand and captain won't help. They know these things happen on their boat, but they don't care. Protect your own gear.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 18, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Take your crappy gear to fish for a so cal cow? Huh? I think you handled this situation fine. Watch and protect your shit like anywhere. You did. You have the rod not him. Create more drama and get injured? He gave it right back when confronted good enough live learn move on.

That being said I stopped riding open party in the 90s. I decided fishing with tweakers sucked and bought a boat. I will do an occasional charter.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Captain said, you can search through other's bag, if they are willing to cooperate but we can't force any one, and you can start searching only after we dock. So once boat docks, everyone starts to walk away, and we lost our rod and reel.

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Unfortunately, I think this is the much more common scenario for loss on a boat. It doesn't matter if you have your name engraved if the rod and "disappear".

Normal people likely get their stuff jacked like this all the time but it doesn't get any attention. Most victims simply can't/don't make a big enough fuss. The Capt and crew know the problem will just fizzle out once the boat hit the docks. E

Upvote 0

4Bigeye2na

Almost A Member
    Jan 7, 2015
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    Searay
    It's been several years, but me and two of my friends were on Pursuit. On the way back, all of us fell asleep in the galley and as we were about to arrive we find that one of our rod and reel is missing. We report to the deck hand and captain comes up and tell us to look for it on the boat before it stops. This is captain's comment, "you can look through the boat, not much time is left". We never found it, rod was crappy one, reel was not. We told captain, may be rod is thrown out and reel is kept. Captain said, you can search through other's bag, if they are willing to cooperate but we can't force any one, and you can start searching only after we dock. So once boat docks, everyone starts to walk away, and we lost our rod and reel. It's not only about losing $300 set up. But it's how deckhand and captain handled the situation.
    Three of us used to go on Pursuit every year. Not any more. We don't go on party boat anymore at all.
    If anything happens, deckhand and captain won't help. They know these things happen on their boat, but they don't care. Protect your own gear.
    Rod got pitched over the side, reel ended up in someones bag. That way it could be reasoned the whole rig went over the side. Back in the days on the Q105 this happened regularly. Deckhand was selling the reels for drug money. Find charter group to fish with.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

dvader

Nov 1, 2006
    Long Beach
    Name
    Mike Flanigan
    Boat
    none
    I have zip ties attached to all of my poles on the foregrip so I can see them. Plus I use Avet reels and they are all purple. I used to get grief about them being purple. My response has always been do see anymore purple reels on the boat so I know they are mine. I also had someone try to take off with my Newell 332 reel and the nice rod it was on. When I saw it bundled with someone else's stuff I went to the person and asked. They sheepishly said they had made a mistake. He was also the person who had earlier said it was a nice rig for white sea bass

Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat
    17 Aquasport
    Could he fish or was he a kook?
    I was on a 2 day and had a kook use my gear. I politely explained that just because he rented gear doesn't mean the rest of us did and he had over $500.00 worth of my stuff he was learning on. I didn't have to yell, he never had a clue, funny thing was he would just grab any rental rod from there instead of keeping track of his.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0