Preventing theft on party boat

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    * Don't take your best stuff on local trips

* If you take nice stuff, keep your eyes on it, and have your CDL taped inside sideplates and tucked in behind buttcaps

*If it's an open party trip on a sketchy boat, also tape CDL both sides of under reel foot/on seat. Tape over with clear packing tape to waterproof(ish)

* Check if Captain is ok with you "accidentally" bumping thief off dock upon return

*I don't sell my stuff. I'd be fine with etching my name and CDL in most rods and reels. Most of my stuff is so ugly, it's no real target. Love scoring fish on beat old gear, though!

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    I never fish party boats , period.

Thieves are fair game to fuck them up without permission of the captain or crew.

Taking someone else’s rod out of the rack is stealing even in a hot bite. Immediate repercussions are in order, imho.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Where I live. Small town justice with police support but no report, central America

Up there now in Cali. You might go to jail, for beating a thiefs ass

Here. Did the police a favor. The police love to avoid conflict and be cool with everyone. No conflicts the better

Protect what you have or maybe someone will come take it from you

Last edited:
    Reactions: aguachico and zoner
    Upvote 0

newmar

Almost A Member
    Jun 10, 2005
    spring valley
    Name
    bruce
    Boat
    23 blackman /Polkboat
    You can get 8 keyed alike padlocks for $30.00 amzn- find the size you need.
    install between the reel seat and first guide. A good visual that it isn't their rod. A piece of shrink tube would prevent abrasion of rod finish. 10 seconds to take the key off your neck and put the rod into service.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The theft issues that I've encountered have been (1) taking fish from my gunny sack, (2) removing lures from rods while they are racked, not in use, and (3) taking lures from my tackle box.

I haven't had a fish stolen from my gunny sack since I stopped riding boats that use gunny sacks. On the rare occasions that I do a short trip on a boat with sacks I do all catch & release, no worries.

I don't leave special lures on rods that are not being used except for very short periods of time. Never while I am sleeping.

When hitting the bunk, I use bike locks that thread through the zipper heads of the tackle box, so that it can't be opened casually.

I have never had an issue on a longer than 1.5-day trip. The kind of people who steal are in my experience unwilling to save up and plan for the commitment of the longer trips. But back in the police academy we were taught the "5% Flake Factor" principle, that out of any average group of twenty people there will be one who cannot resist taking something that doesn't belong to themselves. So it is only sensible to take steps to deter the opportunity.

Upvote 0

strackle99

• Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    It sounds like this was not his first time trying to swipe tackle. Definitely report to police, and try to identify from security footage.

The odds that he made an innocent mistake are very low. The odds he tries it again are very high.

Help put this guy out of business.

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    That is some bullshit... Glad he didnt take your setup home. He is a piece of shit. All we can do is make sure everything is accounted for multiple times per day and put clamps on everything

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    I was on a party boat when someone tried not only using my gear...he said "it doesn't matter which one you use, you can use any of them on the boat" ( I put a quick end to that argument) but then at the end of the 1.5 day trip, tried walking off the boat with my gear. I have gold or silver Avet or Penn reels on Seekers or Calstar rods which is a fairly common combination. The custom poles have my name on them so there's no question of ownership of the pole.
    I think I'll ask a custom shop to add my name to the poles and take off the reels at night, but my question: how do you mark or identify your gear to prevent this from happening? I've been on these local boats since the 80s and this was a first for me. Frustrating...
    you punch him in the face while hes holding your property then remind everyone it was self defense (once when he says hes allowed to use ur rod and a few times when hes carrying it off the boat)

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Pacific Jigger is right. Unfortunately, if you are fishing with potential "riff raff" (since you have NO background on anyone you don't know going onboard), you are exposed to potentially anything. Yes, you can mark your stuff to prove ownership, but if shit goes down, the confrontation may not be restricted to the boat...the perp, for all you know, could be a freeway shooter (we are in SoCal afterall) with no qualms about offing you in the landing parking lot. People, on a daily basis, have been killed over a lot less than a fishing setup. Analogous to having a set of modern body armor but that doesn't mean there are parts of LA that one would want to hang out in without a care.

MRC70 and Mr. DRE point out one solution...fish with gear that they will be disinclined to steal and you have less concern about losing. I have some "good enough" setups (e.g., Okuma CLR-20L, Daiwa 47H) that are essentially "write offs" if anything happens (e.g., party boat theft, airport handling, foreign country customs, etc.).

Dudley613 points out another solution...charter group LR trips. Yes, they cost more in time and money, but it's compromise between quantity and quality. While I'll still occasionally jump on 1/2-, 3/4- and full-day boats to "scratch the itch," my preferred trips are 5-days or more though maybe only 1-2 trips a year (since retirement is still a ways off), but the experience has been so much better. All the trip types in between (overnighters to 3-day) have been avoided given an observable higher incident rate of stuff akin to what happened on your 1.5-day.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    If it ever happens again.
    A) As you did, point out that your rods are your rods, and not for general use. (Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's just an idiot)
    B) Ask if he rented rod(s) or brought his own, if so tell him those are his to use and only his. If not, introduce him to the Decky, who will rent him a rod.
    C) Tell him if he asks BEFORE, some people might let him borrow/try a rod for 1 fish, and more than 1 fish is considered bad form.
    D) Tell him you will be watching him to see how he gets along (in a friendly way).
    E) If he steps out of line on the boat, remind him of your conversation in front of a deckhand, and let the deckhand/Captain handle things from there.
    F) If he tries to walk off the boat with anyone else's gear, inform the nearest deckhand that you already had this conversation and DEMAND that the Captain handle it.
    G) If the police don't get involved, post here so the rest of us know what boat to avoid.
    We are all in this together. Some people are clueless, educate them and they will be eternally grateful. Some people are thieves, show them the error in their ways. If they don't repent, teach them to swim with a couple of # 's of lead. Ok, maybe that last part is a little wrong. Let the police deal with them.

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    Man o man, what a world we live in, I hate thieves. Hope anybody that tries up taking a swim.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Wow that guy sounds like an idiot. Not making any excuses for him but was he drinking all day? Regardless I would have mentioned the conversation about "using any gear on the boat" to other angler's and the crew on the trip. Pretty sure they would all be keeping an eye on him and had some choice words for him.

Reactions: Zr1tech
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    unds like an idiot. Not making any excuses for him but was he drinking all day? Regardless I would have mentioned the conversation about "using any gear on the boat"
    I wonder if he brought any gear on the boat, and was using other people's gear all day?

Reactions: Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    I wonder if he brought any gear on the boat, and was using other people's gear all day?

Certainly possible, but I would have to imagine had that been the case, it would have been pretty well circulated about the "righteous borrower" and likely quite a few "public" conversations.

Been watching and reading this thread from the beginning, and withheld my initial comments, with the hope that I'd see things a bit differently with different perspectives, but my thoughts and feelings haven't changed very much.

It makes me sad, sick, and angry all at the same time and would challenge anyone (including the pope) to take a calm, patient, and polite stance to confront the situation. Since no one person will have eyes 24/7, it is my only hope that as a community whether here or on board, we all (passengers and crew members) look out for one another by speaking up (even when it's not your gear) and amongst everyone to reduce the change of further escalation when it's widely known that there are eyeballs everywhere on the watch.

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what happened to the op is rare. Yes it does happen but I do not believe it is the norm. 99% of the people on the sporties know what they brought and for the most part have it accounted for on the way back in to dock and if something is missing it is known right away. I've heard of this happening on other boats where something was missing and the captain would not dock the boat until it was found or somebody fessed up to taking it. Just my opinion

Reactions: Lake
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Since no one person will have eyes 24/7, it is my only hope that as a community whether here or on board, we all (passengers and crew members) look out for one another by speaking up (even when it's not your gear) and amongst everyone to reduce the change of further escalation when it's widely known that there are eyeballs everywhere on the watch
    +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Reactions: MNFLSDLV
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Break down your gear and sleep with it , or throw the guy overboard at night , i like option 2 better
    Hmmm. When the boat stops, you have to re-rig? I agree, #2 option is better. Recycle, natural selection, whatever. It is sad that many say get gear that you walk can painlessly away from. This enables the dirtbags to steal whatever they can. The captain and crew should have zero tolerance for this, even if it means searching bags. Bad for business.

Reactions: michael e. bingham
    Upvote 0