Preventing theft on party boat

MB1

May 16, 2021
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
None
I was on a party boat when someone tried not only using my gear...he said "it doesn't matter which one you use, you can use any of them on the boat" ( I put a quick end to that argument) but then at the end of the 1.5 day trip, tried walking off the boat with my gear. I have gold or silver Avet or Penn reels on Seekers or Calstar rods which is a fairly common combination. The custom poles have my name on them so there's no question of ownership of the pole.
I think I'll ask a custom shop to add my name to the poles and take off the reels at night, but my question: how do you mark or identify your gear to prevent this from happening? I've been on these local boats since the 80s and this was a first for me. Frustrating...

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Honestly man, this is one of the reasons I started fishing with charter groups. There’s plenty around, heck I got on my first one through bd. Imo you’ll receive a better experience, not have to worry about theft, and make some long term fishing buddies.

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    You did not report this thief to the attention of the captain or police? How do you expect to deter this person/ thief from repeating it if he/she sees no consequence? Or maybe you did?

Upvote 0

MB1

May 16, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    None
    Wow, thank you for the responses! No, I didn't even think of reporting him to the captain or police. My bad. I will if it happens again.
    Regarding charter groups, I'll look into that - great idea. I didn't kick a$$ but sure wanted to! I like the idea of carving my name or other identification on the reels...just didn't think I would ever have to do that...I'm too naive I guess.

Reactions: Wandering Blues
    Upvote 0

d105

Almost A Member
    Dec 16, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    d105
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4
    I use one of these Hiplok deals for my rod bundle. I also do a quick video and take pictures of my gear prior to a trip while still at home. That way if anybody has questions I can show them my video. It also helps me remember what I brought with me.

8C352B5B-DCF9-42D4-8160-11FC9BF4E683.png

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    All of my rods are marked with a specific pattern of bright colored duct tape(available at Hobby Lobby) so I can see if anyone is using any of my setups. If the crew wants to use one they are always welcome. If someone is undergunned and I have what they need I’ll offer it to them to use.
    Well before we get into port I have my outfits bundled up together. I always try to keep my rods next to each other in the racks.

Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    This is the reason I started getting custom wrapped rods. They're usually pretty unique and I can spot them anywhere on the boat. Factory Calstars and Seekers with Trini's or Avets is just too common without unique identifiers. ZI don't usually take more than 3 rods but I keep track of them during the day.

Reactions: bullyo
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I use one of these Hiplok deals for my rod bundle. I also do a quick video and take pictures of my gear prior to a trip while still at home. That way if anybody has questions I can show them my video. It also helps me remember what I brought with me.

View attachment 1286047
    Thank you!

Upvote 0

Rivergil

Apr 20, 2011
    Mammoth, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    Whichever I can afford
    I keep an index card in my reel bag that lists all of my reel's serial numbers. This won't stop them from being taken but it'll sure end the argument of who the reel belongs to if the captain does a shakedown. This thread reminds me that using the reel clamps on lighter reels might help to deter the would-be dickhead.
    I wrapped all of my rods and put my initials on all of them, they're all pretty unique and easily identified.

On my last trip a few weeks ago, one of the red shirts said that his truck was broken into at the landing and all his equipment was ripped! I'm thinking he has the best chance to see that shit roll up at the landing again but what a fuckfest. I am ok with adult thieves losing digits as penalty.😆

Upvote 0

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
    Novato, CA
    Name
    Rex
    Boat
    Hopefully one day
    Sounds like you made it loud and clear that your gear was not for public use during the trip...
    The guy was obviously attempting to steal your gear if he walked off the boat with it(assuming his gear wasn't similar to yours??). Pretty sure he would have gone for a swim while I went and got a crew member and the Captain to ensure he was not only 86'd from the boat, but from the landing.

An a$$ whipping(or worse) is deserved to any thief, but depending on his 'testicular fortitude' after said a$$ whipping, going to jail wouldn't have been worth it.

Reactions: king of fools
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I have yet to exsperience this kind of activity on the boats out of the Bay area I have been on, it seems there is many posts about theft and would be theft, and some very negitive reviews of some trips, reported on BD, and seem the name "Landing" comes up alot to, I'm sure there is similar issuses, anywhere high dollar Tackle is inolved.

Upvote 0