Pretty good ling fishing in Garibaldi earlier this week

Dubya

Aug 10, 2019
Oregon
Name
Dubya
Boat
Boatless
Caught some nice rockfish and ling out of garibalidi this past wednesday. Got a chance to use one of my pink and white ebay hammered jigs for this nice ling in the picture. Bite was nice and steady all trip. Had some nice crab come up in the pots too.

Looking forward to getting some more again soon!
PXL_20210714_191337557.jpg

Reactions: RodRage

curtisD

Almost A Member
Mar 18, 2009
Or
www.yahoo.com
Name
curt
Boat
43 Delta
Nice. The Silver bite has been unreal.
judging by the picture, you fished with the Keri Lin or Siggi G??
Rockfish and Lings has actually been tough this past week. Congrats.

Dubya

Aug 10, 2019
Oregon
Name
Dubya
Boat
Boatless
You are correct, fished with Siggi G. Bite was better than I expected given the previous reports. Rockfish were really tight to the bottom, all of the bites were less than 2 cranks up. Heading back out next weekend for another crack at bottom fishing. Gonna try to sneak out for a combo salmon and rockfish trip if I can before the bite disappears....

Hope you've had a chance to get in on the bite and haven't been getting blown out too bad

Upvote 0

curtisD

Almost A Member
Mar 18, 2009
Or
www.yahoo.com
Name
curt
Boat
43 Delta
You are correct, fished with Siggi G. Bite was better than I expected given the previous reports. Rockfish were really tight to the bottom, all of the bites were less than 2 cranks up. Heading back out next weekend for another crack at bottom fishing. Gonna try to sneak out for a combo salmon and rockfish trip if I can before the bite disappears....

Hope you've had a chance to get in on the bite and haven't been getting blown out too bad
Joe and Thomas on the Siggi are studs. Consummate professionals.
It's been awhile since I've been blown out.
I somehow manage to fish every day.

Upvote 0

Dubya

Aug 10, 2019
Oregon
Name
Dubya
Boat
Boatless
Joe and Thomas on the Siggi are studs. Consummate professionals.
It's been awhile since I've been blown out.
I somehow manage to fish every day.
Where do you purchase your luck with the weather, and how can I buy some???

Upvote 0

K-Dogg

Almost A Member
Jun 11, 2017
Oregon
Name
Ken
Boat
1970 Skipjack 20 Open
I love the deep-water lingcod fishery in early spring... Lots of very hungry fish in the 20-35lb range in 300' of water chasing copper pipe jigs. The shallow water fisheries outside of Depoe and Coos Bay have lots of reefs in < 120' of water where you can cast jigs/lures of 4 to 6oz of weight on lighter rods/reels. Here's a deep-water ling from mid-March 2021 out of Charleston, OR that came on a 2lb pipe jig in 300' of water.

Deepwater Lingcod.jpg

Reactions: curtisD
Upvote 0

curtisD

Almost A Member
Mar 18, 2009
Or
www.yahoo.com
Name
curt
Boat
43 Delta
Nice. I start deep reef ling in March and end May 31st. Start again Sep 1st. Probably 70 trips a year specifically for deep Lings. My favorite fishery. It holds up. Never slows down, unbelievable amount of Lings off our coast. I go halibut fishing in 800', I catch Lings, 900' Lings, do "research" trips for butts or deep water rocks...I catch Lings.
They want them thinned for YE survival. my opinion is they are the coyote/rat of the world. Last critter that will be alive after the apocalypse.
The best eating as well!!!

Reactions: K-Dogg
Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    Nice fish! I had quite the opposite report. Great garabaldi fishing in ling.

82A44ED6-02A9-4550-9578-57AD895F43DE.jpeg

K-Dogg
    K-Dogg
    That [email protected]@ks like lingcod candy... A lot of people use sabiki rigs with a small piece of squid to catch a bucket of sand dabs before heading offshore to target deep-water lings. Others will try for sea trout or kelp greenling (again lingcod candy) since the bigger lingcod are so aggressive and will hitch hike or eat a smaller rockfish (cod) on the way up.

Attachments

• 9E9EA18B-D2FA-4DF1-BC6E-0C4DDC8BE85F.jpeg
      9E9EA18B-D2FA-4DF1-BC6E-0C4DDC8BE85F.jpeg
      2.2 MB · Views: 11
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0